Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Terrence Dickinson

LDW1

Has the word got out, your way, the well known and liked and respected Canadian astronomer, writer, teacher, ap'er etc. Terrence Dickinson has passed away at age 79, I believe on Feb. 1st ? He was the author of NightWatch, co-author of the Backyard Astronomers Guide and many other authoritative astro books and magazines over many years. I do hope this is the right place to post this loss ?

Edited by LDW1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Yes, I made a post about it last night, I had a lump in my throat when I first heard.

Which section did you post it in ?  It is hard to find the general discussion section in these forums or I just missed it ? I saw a thread in CN thats why I posted in these.

Edited by LDW1

1 minute ago, Space Hopper said:

Sad news.

I had a copy of 'Backyard Astronomers guide' around 2000, and read it cover to cover. It was a great source of imformation , and i learned a ton from it.

I bought the latest edition last year and it has been nicely updated.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Sad news.

I had a copy of 'Backyard Astronomers guide' around 2000, and read it cover to cover. It was a great source of imformation , and i learned a ton from it.

The latest additions of both guides have been greatly expanded / updated.

• Like 1

That's very sad indeed.  I bought the first edition of Backyard Astronomers Guide back in 1991 - it was at Astrofest and there was a huge pile of them on the floor of Fullerscopes stand.

I've bought every edition since as soon as they were available - including the 4th toward the end of last year.   It has always been the best guide for practical astronomers since it's inception.  The four volumes together also provide the best guide to the development of amateur astronomers equipment from 1991 to the present day.  Each of the volumes still has a lot to offer.

Of course, his work is much more than this one title, but his influence in helping amateur astronomers will carry on for many years into the future through his writings and sound advice for amateur astronomers.

I feel as if I've lost a friend.

Edited by paulastro
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Yes, I made a post about it last night, I had a lump in my throat when I first heard.

I finally found your thread in 'The Lounge Forum' from about 20 hours ago, nice post !  Clear Skies to you !

• Like 1

Sad news indeed, I have both of this books , Nightwatch & Backyard Astronomers Guide .  He had a talent in his tutorials of simplifying the language so that a newbie astronomer could understand without the least bit of intimidation. He is a recipient of the Order of Canada  & even has an Asteroid in his name! RIP Mr. Dickinson.