Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Time to get a 4” APO?

Another vote for the 4” Apo here. I’m a recent convert having taken ownership of a used Starfield 102 I've been delighted with the views of Mars I had last week. Plenty of surface detail visible on the tiny 11” disc (I was using 180-240x magnification).

Granted a big newt will show more detail when the seeing is good enough to allow it but I think most of the time the frac will show you a much more pleasing image which is a real joy to observe.  

I was out today playing around with new eyepieces and diagonal that I haven’t had a chance to use at night yet. Snapped this iPhone shot through the StellaLyra 3mm LER eyepiece at 238x mag. Lovely sharp details and there wasn’t even a hint of CA visible on any of the branches I looked at. 

427FA922-957A-4CF0-9FA1-C7EB3FBEC22B.jpeg

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Stu said:

A four inch apo is something every astronomer should have. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with the views; it will complement your 10” very nicely whilst being a step up from the 80mm too. There is a noticeable increase in resolution which you will enjoy for white light solar, planetary and doubles I’m sure.

They are so capable, and as others have said can range from 4 degree fields for the Veil and NAN up to lovely high power planetary and lunar views.

In my experience the Lunt Wedge is excellent value for money but the Baader CoolWedge has the edge for detail and contrast at higher powers.

Not sure if you’ve bought the scope yet, but do go ahead! 👍👍

Nothing bought yet but planning ahead. It’s been on my mind for Solar for quite awhile. I’ve been dithering a bit as a 4” is too big for carry on luggage so couldn’t replace the 80mm as a travel scope. I figure if you throw in the planetary, lunar views and widefield improvements over the 80mm then it will prove it’s worth. 

I have a TS Optics wedge which has performed well with the 80mm. I dare say, I’ll be tempted down the binoviewer route before I think about upgrading that 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Nothing bought yet but planning ahead. It’s been on my mind for Solar for quite awhile. I’ve been dithering a bit as a 4” is too big for carry on luggage so couldn’t replace the 80mm as a travel scope. I figure if you throw in the planetary, lunar views and widefield improvements over the 80mm then it will prove it’s worth. 

I have a TS Optics wedge which has performed well with the 80mm. I dare say, I’ll be tempted down the binoviewer route before I think about upgrading that 😂

It looks like you have room for both, just like most of us !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

So, up the ante and get an FC100DC, that is lighter and will go as carry on 👹👹🤣

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

So, up the ante and get an FC100DC, that is lighter and will go as carry on 👹👹🤣

Haha I think it’s the length of the tube that normally makes it too big. If you tell me the Tak comes with a Mary Poppins style bag then I’m in trouble 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I dare say, I’ll be tempted down the binoviewer route before I think about upgrading that 

Now you're talking! Even if you buy a binoviewer for your ED80 the lunar views will astound you. Then when you get your FC100DC😈 you'll be even more astounded. 

Sorry! Stu's a bad influence!! 

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.jpg.bb91c16dc03ef5acbc694d211f565e73.thumb.jpg.818868ff327995bbb6dd8f56e4d05334.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Oh, and like most quality scopes, the Starfield can make use of the best quality eyepieces :wink2: Make sure you aren't underperforming :tongue2:

Haha I’m happy with my eyepiece collection so that should be good. It’s only if I go for binoviewers that I need to start doubling up!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Haha I think it’s the length of the tube that normally makes it too big. If you tell me the Tak comes with a Mary Poppins style bag then I’m in trouble 😂

Despite the cutting (and quite boring) comments from certain members, which I simply don’t get, the FC100DC will fit in carry on baggage if you remove the focuser and dew shield. I think the DZ will too given the sliding dew shield. Other scopes which may well be very good likely won’t do that.

I and a number of other members have taken them abroad successfully on flights.

Some info here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Now you're talking! Even if you buy a binoviewer for your ED80 the lunar views will astound you. Then when you get your FC100DC😈 you'll be even more astounded. 

Sorry! Stu's a bad influence!! 

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.jpg.bb91c16dc03ef5acbc694d211f565e73.thumb.jpg.818868ff327995bbb6dd8f56e4d05334.jpg

Looks pretty sweet with the binoviewers! The obvious follow up question to that is should I try binoviewers with the Equinox 80 before getting a 4” APO?

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Looks pretty sweet with the binoviewers! The obvious follow up question to that is should I try binoviewers with the Equinox 80 before getting a 4” APO?

I think binoviewers are likely to be a benefit in the 80ED too, reducing floaters and giving the same, more relaxed viewing. Personally I use binoviewers for high power viewing Solar white light and Ha, plus lunar and planetary. I still prefer single eyepieces for low and mid power viewing but everyone is different.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Despite the cutting (and quite boring) comments from certain members, which I simply don’t get, the FC100DC will fit in carry on baggage if you remove the focuser and dew shield. I think the DZ will too given the sliding dew shield. Other scopes which may well be very good likely won’t do that.

I and a number of other members have taken them abroad successfully on flights.

Some info here:

Thanks for sharing that thread. Lots of good info in there. There’s a big jump in price with the Tak though offset to some degree by being able to sell Equinox. 

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Or an FC100DC 😉

F04D89FB-C359-4370-8945-EFDD1C4D7E32.jpeg

Isn’t that brilliant! I didn’t think that would fit in the Airport essentials backpack. Such a great way to take a telescope on a plane. I love being able to take mine away to dark skies and places with completely different views of the sky.

Edited by Nicola Fletcher
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

If you want something shorter to fit into luggage, the the WO FLT 91mm or StellaMira 90mm are around 170mm shorter.

It’s a really tricky one. I think I mostly feel guilty that the Equinox 80 will likely see a lot less use once a 4” APO arrives. It’s given me a lot of joy as a travel scope so it’s a keeper unless I can find a 4” APO that’s the right size. Initial feeling is I’d rather have a 80mm and 100m than compromise on a 90mm

• Like 1

I never knew the FC100DC was so versatile.  The use of reducers/extenders make it a very attractive option.  I would be very tempted to get the 1.6 extender with it, especially for solar use. 

I know it is a superbly corrected bit of kit anyway but be interested to hear from anyone who uses the extender and how or if it helps.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Sounds like a plan 👍

Thank you for the suggestion though :) 

I’m assuming the Starfield doesn’t easily break down in the way the Tak does? Please don’t try it unless you know, I don’t want to be responsible for a broken telescope!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I had an Eqinox 80 its all the capable scope you really need, unless like many of us you just want another scope, an excuse to tell the wife that you need one !  LOL !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think a 4" would be a good idea. I've had a ed102r for a few years and use it for all kinds of targets including solar with a quark chromosphere, it's a great eneral purpose scope.

My main scopes are a 72mm f6 refractor for travel, 102mm f7 for grab and go, and 14" reflector for epic sessions. These 3 work well as they don't compete each each other.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’m assuming the Starfield doesn’t easily break down in the way the Tak does? Please don’t try it unless you know, I don’t want to be responsible for a broken telescope!

I'm sure the focuser comes off - but I'm not going to try it :wink2:

1959323021_DSC_0149_DxO1200.jpg.f76d544279b90c69079ada73af6b7d2c.jpg

1528743232_DSC_0154_DxO1200.jpg.e1a1d0669c41ee0b3238725a74414d0d.jpg

• Thanks 1