NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Time to get a 4” APO?

5 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

😂 It’s the new Tak camouflage paint job. Pretty effective!

Interesting: could be a way to fit a few more in the house without being spotted

• Haha 3

Every single post regarding the FC100 series Tak's makes some note about their light weight and portability. This is not the case with my 102, it is HEAVY! I am aware it is a triplet but I think it is also larger than need be for a 102. Tak may have over engineered the thing, I wish it was smaller and lighter, it doesn't need to stop bullets.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I have to dedicate this post to @Stu for leading me down this path. My Think Tank Airport Essentials backpack proved too small for the Tak so I’ve replaced it with a Vanguard VEO Select 49. A large and a medium LensCoat Hoodie are used to protect either end of the tube. A rubber lens cap, from Amazon, goes over the drawer tube on the focuser. The dew shield is slid over the tube wrapped in bubble wrap to avoid scratches. The clamshell with 7” ADM dovetail is also attached to the tube. 

Alongside the scope I have:

GIRO WR mount

Baader Sky Surfer 3 RDF

TS Optics Herschel Wedge

Baader 2” Clicklock diagonal with Clicklock 2”-1.25” adapter

ES68 24mm

Baader VIP Barlow

Nagler 3-6mm zoom

Televue OIII and UHC filters

Trusty eyepatch (for unexpected pirate conventions)

The whole lot weighs just over 7kg. Tripod, counterweight bar, counterweight and SW pillar can all go in checked luggage. I’ll definitely fiddle about with eyepiece selections but very pleased with how this packs down for travels 😁

IMG_2071.thumb.jpeg.40152b226e2d59b1ce0795402b4497e8.jpeg

Fantastic! I make no apology for encouraging everyone to try these scopes, I really think they are impossible to beat in terms of performance in a lightweight and compact scope. Being able to take a premium 4” scope anywhere in the world is pretty amazing really, now if only we all had @DirkSteele‘s travel budget then we would really be sorted 😄😄✈️✈️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Every single post regarding the FC100 series Tak's makes some note about their light weight and portability. This is not the case with my 102, it is HEAVY! I am aware it is a triplet but I think it is also larger than need be for a 102. Tak may have over engineered the thing, I wish it was smaller and lighter, it doesn't need to stop bullets.

Don’t lament the engineering of your TSA 102. In fact, I say rejoice in the heights of Takahashi engineering!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Don’t lament the engineering of your TSA 102. In fact, I say rejoice in the heights of Takahashi engineering!

I was counting the minutes before you would point out the posistives. It’s robustness does feel reassuring when holding it, it does remind me of its engineering when navigating my staircase.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I wonder if they set their exorbitant prices by the lb, the weight not two or three times better performance ?? I have often wondered that !

17 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

IMG_2071.thumb.jpeg.40152b226e2d59b1ce0795402b4497e8.jpeg

17 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I had to look a couple of times to actually spot the scope 🤣

17 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

😂 It’s the new Tak camouflage paint job. Pretty effective!

Nice to see this working for you Neil, nothing quite like a 4" scope for allround ability, whatever the brand or in this case paint job.
The step up from 80mm to 100mm in White Light really does notice, far more details start to show more easily.

So Takoflage now enters our vocabulary, useful in keeping the scope count lower in my case... 😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LDW1 said:

I wonder if they set their exorbitant prices by the lb, the weight not two or three times better performance ?? I have often wondered that !

You may receive a stern talking from Jeremy 😂

have you priced TEC or AP lately?

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Are Takahashi exorbitantly priced? :icon_scratch:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

You may receive a stern talking from Jeremy 😂

have you priced TEC or AP lately?

LOL ! I am just going to stay with my NP101, its enough and its not packable / gng. But I have several that are when need be.   PS:  Not trying to down play a Tak scope !

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I will surely stay away from that ?'ion, lol !  You will have to talk about that with the views on any average nite.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I don't think so Mike, compared to entry level scopes they are very expensive but they're not entry level scopes. There's plenty of cheap cars around that will get you from A to B but if you want a Ferrari you gonna have to put your hand in your pocket.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’ve got the GIRO-WR properly figured out. I’m now using a longer counterweight bar  which allows me to to get the balance right with and without the Solar Scout. Works very nicely in dual scope mode!

IMG_2073.thumb.jpeg.8541ba1a3ac8d4573d392c91a18ba78d.jpeg

There is a concept in biology called 'carcinization' where multiple, different species of crustacean have evolved crab like forms over time.

I think you setup might be following a similar path.

PSX_20230510_202410.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ratlet said:

There is a concept in biology called 'carcinization' where multiple, different species of crustacean have evolved crab like forms over time.

I think you setup might be following a similar path.

PSX_20230510_202410.jpg

You’re gonna give the Solar Scout ‘little scope’ complex

• Haha 1