SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

140mm Stellarvue APO: New “Forever Scope” arrived!

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

There seems to be a strange fixation with handles here on SGL, the topic pops up on threads here and there, I’m perplexed 😂 do we like them or not?

In answer to that question, I just cannot get a handle on that one just yet 😉

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

My wife and I play lottery pretty regularly, If I hit it I'll buy TWO! 140's, one for me and one for you! done deal!

I appreciate it lol

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Absolutely stunning, Magnus.

When does the handle arrive?

You mean this? Couldn't resist a couple of accessories from SV while they were at it, and this Losmandy/Vixen handle-to-end-all-handles had my name all over it. I now need a suitable Vixen bar to put on top of the rings to allow it to work.

IMG_1523.thumb.jpg.32816f55fb7fb8caea3b9ab87a356c55.jpg

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Did you get a Stellarvue bag, very good for transporting around?

Yes indeed, as you say a very good bag. It came as part of the price of the scope, together with the rings.

You can see it here, sitting in front of my 12" Newt, which is itself in front of my 16" Newt hot water tank :) .

IMG_1520.thumb.jpg.d7dcae44c129e6df62874cfc2045367d.jpg

Edited by Captain Scarlet
typo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Captain Scarlet said:

You mean this? Couldn't resist a couple of accessories from SV while they were at it, and this Losmandy/Vixen handle-to-end-all-handles had my name all over it. I now need a suitable Vixen bar to put on top of the rings to allow it to work.

Yes indeed, as you say a very good bag. It came as part of the price of the scope, together with the rings.

You can see it here, sitting in front of my 12" Newt, which is itself in front of my 16" Newt hot water tank :) .

That is a big handle! I assume it’s not meant to be left of the scope while observing, it seems to be a quick release handle.

1 hour ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Yes works very well

17145D06-BA7B-478C-B550-272E2A857DDC.thumb.jpeg.319efce86f162505dcf5f17eccf2d1aa.jpeg

Very popular in the states.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Magnus, can you promise us you won’t end up changing the tube, objective and focuser on this one? 🤣

I can’t promise anything Stu, but my LZOS has so far survived 3-4 years in my charge without any interference.

HOWEVER. The LZOS has a FT focuser, and I would ideally have wanted the SV to have a FT…

No, I won’t do it 😁😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

HOWEVER. The LZOS has a FT focuser, and I would ideally have wanted the SV to have a FT…

Well if you could buy one this year.

That aside I'd like to know how they compare, the StellarVue and FT focuser's.

Edited by Deadlake

8 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Now THAT’S what I call a handle 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I’ll need to lie down in a darkened room now. I hope Dave @F15Rules has taken his meds.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Knowing the dimensions of the bag and the LZOS I have is 130 mm will your 140 mm scope plus handle with rail fit in the bag??? Mine just sneaks in the bag with a low profile handle attached, no rail is attached to the 130 mm I have.

Edited by Deadlake

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Now THAT’S what I call a handle 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I’ll need to lie down in a darkened room now. I hope Dave @F15Rules has taken his meds.

I've come down with the shakes.. I had a weird dream I was being chased by a madman carrying a huge black handle, shouting "Dave, where are you, you've got to see this!!!"..

Just woke up, and am about to have a very strong coffee...🤦😱

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I've come down with the shakes.. I had a weird dream I was being chased by a madman carrying a huge black handle, shouting "Dave, where are you, you've got to see this!!!"..

Just woke up, and am about to have a very strong coffee...🤦😱

Dave, I am sure you will handle the situation ……. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Louis D said:

Just be cautious of overloading your Skytee 2.  The late @johninderby had his snap off under load, but was able to grab his OTA before it hit the ground:

The mount is made of cast pot metal rather than being CNC machined from a solid billet of aluminum.

Yes I would echo the warning about the Skytee. I have a solid ADM clamp on mine which clamps onto the puck with very solid M8 bolts, but the puck is bolted onto the ‘soft’ metal of the mount by three tiny M4 or M5 bolts which seem to only screw in a few millimetres, which looks like a huge weakness to me. I tapped in some longer bolts but still not  happy to load it with more than my C8. Sorry to divert, thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of your beautiful new scope. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Sorry to divert, thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of your beautiful new scope. 

Overloading mounts can never be underestimated, I'm always banging on about it. Take a leaf out of the imaging guys book, 1/2 the payload specs and you won't regret it!

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

I would 😈

Apart from the 12 month wait for the part it add quite a lot of wait to the EP end of the scope.

I've thought of going with the manufactures focuser for that reason...

But yes FT's are very smooth...

5 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Knowing the dimensions of the bag and the LZOS I have is 130 mm will your 140 mm scope plus handle with rail fit in the bag??? Mine just sneaks in the bag with a low profile handle attached, no rail is attached to the 130 mm I have.

As it is at the moment, with a reduced rail, it fits in the bag quite comfortably. With that handle definitely not, but that handle is designed to be taken on and off in a moment. It’ll be great for transporting my 12” tube outside for instance.

1442F2EC-352F-4795-9DFC-14C07208B50E.thumb.jpeg.4d96456358a65dfdce7a35a78ab28e97.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Apart from the 12 month wait for the part it add quite a lot of wait to the EP end of the scope.

I've thought of going with the manufactures focuser for that reason...

But yes FT's are very smooth...

I’ve just set it up inside (it’s raining again 🙄) and have been looking out across the countryside through some double-glazing. The focuser is very good. I’d say slightly better feel for the fine knob than BD Steeltrack (which adorns my 2 newts and a Mak). So I’m very happy with it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Franklin said:

I thought you were supposed to cool scopes down?

Not in Texas in the summer.  It is about 75° F in my house thanks to A/C, and it can be 95° F or more outside after sunset.  I often have to let my scope(s) warm up rather than cool down to acclimate.  On some nights, it never gets below about 80° F before sunrise, so it's never as cool outside as inside.  Believe me, warming up causes just as many optical issues as cooling down.

• Like 3