Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

European Astrofest 2023

ilbrec

On 16/01/2023 at 13:29, carastro said:

I have contacted some-one I know who works for AstronomyNow and he is going to speak to the person who does the website about putting up when the Speakers are actually speaking. 

Carole 

Not sure why they have done a gif rather than simply updating the program page on their website 

speaker-socials_AF23.gif

Mark

Edited by markse68

I always enjoy Astrofest - should be lots to see this year. Tough on the organisers and exhibitors that the rail strike coincides with the opening day. But I wonder if there might be a modest post-Covid bounce after so many people were introduced to the hobby during the pandemic? 

• Like 1

As Carbon Brush says there appears to be a train strike on the 3rd, the Friday. Also it seems the 1st as well.

Local station says that people can expect morning trains on the 2nd and 4th to be running some odd times until they get things back on synch.

A Friday Astrofest visit could be problematic as the underground doesn't extend too far out and not even sure if some of those will be affected. Guess I could get to either Kings Cross, Euston nor Liverpool St on the main line services. Not sure which ones are presently classed as Underground either - gets a bit fuzzy atsome locations, but they are south of me.

What I could work out was which group is striking and so the potential impact.

For anyone thinking of popping down this afternoon, traffic in west London is relatively light and Hornton Street car park has plenty of spaces.  Took just over an hour to drive in from Windsor. 

That was great- some enjoyable talks and lots of nice things to drool over- I really really want one of these- such a neat little thing but quite expensive!

29990D53-DC80-4C3E-BA29-B9E4134584AD.thumb.jpeg.6f54509f9c788a5b4d76a5e41f685de8.jpeg

The only things I came away with were a British Interplanetary Society coaster and a couple of complimentary useful little red light keyrings - thanks FLO! Last of the big spenders me 😀

2236854D-F44E-484C-A6EB-60E1DCAB4716.thumb.jpeg.b08b7c9b82fbda119a435314350987af.jpeg

Was hoping to see the new Pentax eps but couldn’t find any- didn’t think to ask Widescreen- they seemed to have brought their entire inventory!

Pretty good turnout for the talks

6DE55730-BD40-4C07-8F17-D4B4694B20BC.thumb.jpeg.14ed1a2dc721d2ea2961bc01ee2370dc.jpeg

Mark

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, globular said:

Thanks Mark - something else I now NEED 🤩🤣

that’s the thing Glob- I really don’t need it- I have all the parts to build a diy SQM but haven’t got round to it i need one that much. But I really want one! haha

Pretty much yes Jeremy- it’s like a portable logging weather station with GPS and SQM so you can be super nerdy about your observing sessions and yes- confirm if it’s really cloudy ;) He said he has done a smaller version for agencies monitoring light pollution etc 

Mark

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, globular said:

Thanks Mark - something else I now NEED 🤩🤣

5 minutes ago, markse68 said:

that’s the thing Glob- I really don’t need it

Nor me.  Need in capitals is my code for 'don't need but really want'.

Edited by globular
  • Haha 1