Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

European Astrofest 2023

ilbrec

I can't help but feel that AstroFest has pretty much run its course. To expect people to travel across the country to Kensington London, many from as far as Scotland, just seems rediculous to me. If I do go anywhere this year it will be to Kettering.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No, also not sure when it opens. I go to catch up with people at clubs I’ve been a member of years ago and see what the latest stuff is, maybe pick up a small something. Never attended any of the talks though.

Got meet-ups planned with a few people already. I agree it’s hard for people north of the Watford gap, but the IAS (which I always mean to get to, but haven’t) can help. Maybe someone should start another one further north, you got much better skies than round London.

Peter

• Like 1

Although i work on the trains, its a good old trek from Derby to London, then a couple of different tubes to reach South Kensington.

I've attended many times in the past : seen many great talks from the likes of Allan Chapman, Brian Cox, Stephen James O'Mara, Lucie Green, to name a few.

Also my one and only time I saw the late Sir Patrick was at Astrofest.

But i've not been since 2017 when i was a little disappointed with it. I'm in agreement with Mike, thats its run its course.

Then theres the PAS show in Kettering as well as the IAS in October. Both easier to get to, and i've had my 'astro show fix' from them both.

I do enjoy an astroshow though, it's always a great atmosphere when the astro community have a get together.

The PAS sounds interesting, and since there appears to be some uncertainty about whether the IAS  will happen this year, I think I might go.

Does the PAS get quite crowded? I imagine being only one day and a Saturday it might be. There’s little point in going if you can’t get near what exhibitors have on show. 

It is only about 14 miles away for me, which is why I haven't missed one yet. There is always plenty of interest for visual only gazers like me and I have yet to see it too crowded.  It is a good day out !

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, icpn said:

It is also probably worth noting that PAS is almost entirely an imaging show so if your interest is in visual astronomy it is probably not the place to be.

You could argue some of the talks are geared towards imaging, but i think theres something for everyone there, whether you are primarily a visual observer, or an imager, or both.

Lots of gear on display including visual scopes, Dobs etc and all the eyepieces you could need.

I always go, it's not so far for me, but waiting to hear when a friend is going so we can go together.  

I don't know how they expect people to book conference tickets when it doesn't say who is talking when.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Kensington could be a difficult journey for many people considering the uncertainty around rail strikes and the like.🥴
In other circumstances I would drive to a (not too far away) main line station, then go to London, then catch the tube.

Kettering, I just drive there. If I buy a 16" dob, I'm sure the seller would help me to the car park🤣.
Easy access to Kettering if you live in London, Norwich, Birmingham, Sheffield, etc.

No prizes for guessing which I am more likely to attend.

• Like 1