Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Camping Reminder for SGL4

Kai

Just a couple of weekends to go till SGL4 in Lucksall :rolleyes:

I thought i would just post a gentle reminder to double check you Non-Astro Kit you are planning on bringing.Some of us are experianced Campers and others less so.I am not trying to sound patronising ;)

If you havent used your tent for a while (or even if it is brand new) i would recomend that you give it the once over just to make sure everything is in order eg nothing missing / torn or mouldy.For most of us its a long drive only to find out that something is wrong.

Plan on your catering arrangements and how you will keep perishibles cool IF it happens to be warm during the day.A mouthful of Cornflakes made with milk that has "turned" is not pleasant ;)

As far as clothing is concerned.........Ignore the weather forcast and cover all your bases , Its very hard to get warm once you are cold , but very easy to cool down if you are hot.

If you are planning on sleeping on a Airbed/Camping Mat then be aware that you will find that the cold comes up from underneath.A Travel Rug will put some insulation between you and the floor.

See you all there :hello2:

Thanks for that Steve. Very sensible advice. It's 3 years since my tent last saw daylight, so I will be giving it an airing tomorrow.

Ron.:rolleyes:

I had to edit, as I called you Ant.

Why do I keep getting you and Ant Mixed up ;)

I think Jean and I may have to give my neighbours another entertaining afternoon as we try and remember how to erect the moonlander!! The afternoon we first tried was one of the funniest afternoons of my life. At one point I was lying flat on my back on the grass in absolute hysterics as Jean did her ghost impression. She was actually trying to get the centre supports up and was inside the tent, but for me as the tent is grey/black it just looked so funny. All she could hear was me laughing and couldn't quite work out what the joke was!! (But by the time we made it to the star party we were experts!!)

Helen

If you are planning on sleeping on a Airbed/Camping Mat then be aware that you will find that the cold comes up from underneath.[

In the past (at Kielder at -8)I have used the silver plasticy foil that you put behind radiators to reflect heat under the airbed and it seems to work very well. It also rolls up very compact.

Havn't been camping since i was a kid.. so have bought a tent.. instructions say to have a go putting up before u go away.. trouble is its been raining non stop since it got here.. so if it dosn't dry up .. it'll be a first go on the day for me!

The stuff you put under laminate flooring works well , and you could always wrap it around you scopes for transportation

didnt think about the cold coming up through an airbed.. got some of this stuff in the garage.. so will bring it along! thanks for the tips guys!!

Another thought......

If you can , pack the car so that the Tent is the last thing packed (ie the first thing out).This way if its wet when you arrive you dont have to put all your gear on the grass to get to your tent.

Oh and flipflops are a godsend in the showers :)

Another thought......

If you can , pack the car so that the Tent is the last thing packed (ie the first thing out).This way if its wet when you arrive you dont have to put all your gear on the grass to get to your tent.

Oh and flipflops are a godsend in the showers :)

Another piece of packing advice, if it gets so boggy that your car sinks in the mud, find your cars towing eye before you pack the car up, it can save a lot of bother, just ask James :).

Steve

Another piece of packing advice, if it gets so boggy that your car sinks in the mud, find your cars towing eye before you pack the car up, it can save a lot of bother, just ask James ;).

Steve

Mud :), naah, the weather's going to be lovely Steve :)

However, there are at least two of us there with 4x4s, so nobody need fear getting stuck, if the unthinkable :clouds2:happens.

Dave

So, tell me guys, when I'm in my dad's caravan at night, the curtains are closed and I'm enjoying my book, do I need to read by red torchlight, rather than the caravan's own lights?

This may seem glaringly obvious to you, but I've never been to a star party before, so be gentle with me!

Thanks Kai.

I was hoping I could get away with it, because the bedside lights are small and directional.

Also, I can't sleep without reading and I don't want to use up the batteries on the torch when I'm inside.

Archived