Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hiya!

Squagnut

Hi, I'm Squaggers ;) Well, I finally got into practical astronomy last year, after always being interested in space stuff. To start with, I got a cheap secondhand 700x76, and, being painfully aware that this is not a good scope, still got goosebumps upon seeing the Galilean moons for the first time.

Guess I've been bitten by the bug ...

Wow - what a warm welcome :rolleyes: I guess that makes up for beetling out on freezing cold nights, peering into the dark.

Welcome to SGL.

You do know it's going to cost you now you have been bitten :hello2:

Glen.

Yes. This bit of the whole thing hadn't escaped my notice - having spent £40 on the cheapo 700x76, I've just bought (and I know this will bring howls of derision from some quarters, perhaps rightly so) a Seben 114x1000 (hah! no it isn't 1000mm, it's a cheat), very soon afterwards realising that this may be a mistake, but at this end of the market, at least it's not a terribly expensive mistake. But it'll have to do for the time being, and I'll get some decent EPs and other bits and bobs before any proper big investment, and I should at least be able to learn technical things from the Seben. The other thing that happened last year is that I was dignosed with cancer, not a particularly aggressive form of cancer, but one that means astronomy cash will be limited for the forseeable future. That's my little cross to bear, but I'm also blessed in that I live within easy reach of Kielder, the Lake District and southwest Scotland, so there's plenty of light-pollution-free spots to go in striking distance.

And it looks like a clear night tonight! ;)

Archived