Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trying to determine second hand prices.

How is the best way to gauge the proces to ask when selling? Would you say to look at new prices then ask for a percentage? I've not kept up with prices at all in the last 3 years and looking around I can't see sold stuff of what I'm selling to give me an idea.

General rule of thumb is 2/3 of new price as long as item is in good condition with box and instructions etc etc. 

However there is a lot of variation on this:

Item condition, bits missing, current availability/rarity, willingness to post, etc. all can affect how much you get for something. 

49 minutes ago, swag72 said:

How is the best way to gauge the proces to ask when selling? Would you say to look at new prices then ask for a percentage? I've not kept up with prices at all in the last 3 years and looking around I can't see sold stuff of what I'm selling to give me an idea.

Sara I was actually looking on your website yesterday, some stunning images!  I was trying to remember what filters you used in your filter wheels, iirc you have two mono cameras?

In terms of pricing, a % of the new price is a good start, but in some cases this doesn’t work if the technology has moved on or trends have changed eg CCD versus CMOS.  

• Like 1

OK thanks for your thoughts 👍🏻 I was thinking that the CCD tech may be harder to shift.

I'm at a bit of a loss for gauging price on a scope that is no longer made and I believe could be a decent one and rarely come up for sale. 

25 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Sara I was actually looking on your website yesterday, some stunning images!  I was trying to remember what filters you used in your filter wheels, iirc you have two mono cameras?

In terms of pricing, a % of the new price is a good start, but in some cases this doesn’t work if the technology has moved on or trends have changed eg CCD versus CMOS.  

I've got 1.25" Astrodon filters in 2 cameras and Chroma in another.  

15 minutes ago, swag72 said:

OK thanks for your thoughts 👍🏻 I was thinking that the CCD tech may be harder to shift.

I'm at a bit of a loss for gauging price on a scope that is no longer made and I believe could be a decent one and rarely come up for sale. 

I guess if you’re really unsure and you’re not looking for a quick sale then start high (perhaps close to what you bought it for if you bought it new) and then lower the price gradually until it sells.

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 2

Ah ok, I see lots of entire rigs for sale on here as a job lot but don’t often seeing them sold that way, more often the seller ends up splitting.

Could be worth speaking to a dealer who could take the whole lot of your hands? 

Sad to see Sara. 
was hoping you would get back into it. 

Are you able ti use Astrobuysell.  I know he was cagey about overseas selkers.  I would be happy to put a word in for you if need be. 

i guess selling from Soain means selling individually makes it more problematic.   

Carole

4 hours ago, swag72 said:

I always sell 2/3 new price if in goid condition.  I think that’s pretty much the norm. 

Carole

I list my stuff at between 65% and 70% of RRP (depending on age and condition).

Bear in mind the RRP may have increased significantly since you actually bought it, but the current RRP is usually the right baseline to use (I have made exceptions where the price has increased dramatically 😮)

Usually if something doesn't shift at that price, then a (gradual) price lowering, can help, but best not to "give it away", so always have a lower limit at which you'll stop or even withdraw from sale 

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Sara, hope you're not selling up?  But if you want to sell in Spain what about Ian king and Colin in southern Spain.. sure most of your gear is all top end..

I've already chatted with Colin 👍🏻

The norm here (US) seems to be 60-70% of the current new price.  That's assuming the gear is good quality, in good condition, etc.  Some older kit commands a higher price because it's hard to find.

One thing that can really alter the asking price is who pays shipping - buyer or seller?  For example, I sold a tripod that would have cost $20 to ship by weight.  But because the box was long, it raised the shipping cost to $50.  Some sellers are offering to split shipping with the buyer instead of one or other paying for all of it.

• Like 1

Maybe a bit late to the party, but selling something second hand is tricky.  It depends on a lot of factors, such as how rare the item is, how sought after the item is, and then its age and condition.  For me when buying anything that is mainstream I tend to be prepared to pay around 70% of the average retail price provided it's in A1 condition and (if applicable) comes in original packaging.  I then start deducting percentages for age, damaged or missing boxes, the condition of the item (ie are all the parts it's meant to have included) and if it works.  But  as mentioned, it depends how sought after an item is, and its not unheard of items being sold second hand for more than originally purchased (worst cases are known as scalping - just ask any dedicated PC gamer who wanted the latest graphics card !).

It also depends on how much you as a seller is prepared to let things go for.  When I pulled out of tropical marine hobby I sold corals that you would expect to pay hundreds of pounds for in the shops for £20 or £30 each... naturally it generated a lot of interest and achieved the goal of clearing the tank so I could shut it down.  I still made a few hundred pounds in the end, so was happy enough.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, malc-c said:

When I pulled out of tropical marine hobby I sold corals that you would expect to pay hundreds of pounds for in the shops for £20 or £30 each... naturally it generated a lot of interest and achieved the goal of clearing the tank so I could shut it down.  I still made a few hundred pounds in the end, so was happy enough.  

I also keep marines with corals. But people can be weird. I put some corals on a site as "free to a good home" and nobody was interested, yet the same people cheerfully shell out hundreds of pounds on shop-bought ones. Not sure if there's an astro equivalent...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I put some corals on a site as "free to a good home" and nobody was interested, yet the same people cheerfully shell out hundreds of pounds on shop-bought ones. Not sure if there's an astro equivalent...

I shut down my saltwater tanks years ago, but I'm willing to adopt any unwanted Taks or Questars.

• Haha 1