Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

SGL 2022 Challenge 10 - Stars

What could be simpler?  When deep sky imaging stars tend to be things that have to be "managed" in order to avoid detracting from our intended target.  This is a shame because stars are such beautiful things.  This challenge places stars centre stage.  We are looking for images purely consiting of stars, either a single star, doubles or open clusters.  Globular clusters are excluded from the challenge.  

If you have any queries about the challenge please contact me via PM rather than from within this thread.

Please provide information regarding how  you went about capturing your image including equipment used.

Start date 1st October 2022

End date 31st December 2022

No entries will be accepted after this date.

As previously the winner and runners up will receive an SGL challenge mug showing their image along with a virtual medal-of-honour for their SGL signature.

Please post entries directly into this thread

To keep the thread manageable for the judges please do not post comments about entries, emoji reactions are welcome of course.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please make a fresh post within the thread.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

• Like 3

Gosh, looks like I'm the first to post!

The Owl Cluster. 12 subs in G2v calibration with the ODK rig in my sig. Started immediately after Astro Dark so quite a bit of moonlight.

Each stack cropped to remove dither edges, given a gradient reduction and star erosion.

After RGB combination a DDP was applied with slight saturation boost, then a Richardson-Lucy deconvolution. Finally a slight histogram stretch to push the background down before saving as a JPEG

1590191906_RGBStackDDPRL.thumb.jpg.ddcacc28b6980795c90a24db184fc14a.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

A post to keep the owl company. Messier 34 imaged 7th October (94% waxing gibbous Moon). L 120 x30”, RGB @ 20 x 180”. William Optics GT71 & zwo asi 183 mono.

M34_LRGB_ST6_Affinity_decon.jpg

Edited by woldsman
  • Like 8

Here is my first entry into this one. I think just stars is actually harder than it sounds especially without the star diffraction spikes which I think provide some interesting characteristics to the larger stars. I may even try the fishing line trick to see if I can create some artificial spikes on my next outing. Adding them in post always looks cheap and nasty! This is the White Rose Cluster NGC7789 in Cassiopeia I shot LRGB, however as per my poor processing skills combining L to RGB I recycle binned the Lum and just used the RGB.  A little over 4 hours total of RGB all 60s subs as this was shot on the 10/10/22 during the full moon. Scope was WO Redcat and 1600mm Pro.

1423405450_TheWhiteRoseCluster.thumb.jpg.921e7de618da0af4d2f3f525dc611e90.jpg

• Like 14

I'll add this image as it is the first image I have managed since the beginning of the summer. Unfortunately, I built myself an imaging observatory in September - so it has been cloudy ever since. Apologies to anyone in the North West UK.....

This is a cluster of star clusters. This includes M103, the Fuzzy Butterfly Cluster (NGC654), the Lawnmower Cluster (NGC663), the Yin-Yang Cluster (NGC659) and IC166. Taken with a StellaMira 90mm Triplet with the 0.8 flattener reducer in LRGB using a 1600MM PRO. Processing was kept to a minimum with gradient removal, a slight stretch, levels adjustment and a bit of additional vibrance. All done in APP and Affinity.

M103_Region-LRGB_AP1.jpg

Edited by Clarkey
  • Like 9

Inevitably, someone's going to post an image of the double cluster, so here's mine.

This is a two pane mosaic (My first) with the main capture on the 12th. using the ODK rig.  I set up to get 12 subs of RGB on each panel, but not all made it into the stacks, plus I had persistent dew problems requiring pickup capture.

After stacking the individual RGB stacks were cropped and given a gradient reduction. After Trichromy another crop followed by DDP and a Richardson-Lucy deconvolution. Care was taken to match the histograms on the two panes.

The mosaic was assembled using the Mosaic tool in AstroArt 8. After another gradient reduction there was a slight Saturation Boost and several rounds of Histogram Stretch..

568581209_FirstMosaicHSSB.thumb.jpg.3cfd4f6f86820f7fe89a35a98f2d1f53.jpg

• Like 8

Some more stars - NGC 188 imaged November 11 & 12 (85-91% waning gibbous Moon) between long bouts of cloud & fog. WO GT 71, ZWO asi 183 mono, L 101x30”, RGB each 20x60”.  A few issues targeting & guiding so close to Polaris - so pleased to get something from these two sessions.

884C152A-F1F4-41BF-9606-4E253F9FE7D7.jpeg

Edited by woldsman
  • Like 5