SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) Autumn Star Party 2022

Freff

1 hour ago, Xsubmariner said:

Apologies, my domestic water problem persists and sadly I had to cancel the SWAG weekend. Some parts are on their way so hope to escape tomorrow and meet some of you in person. Maybe third time lucky for the spring SWAG.

There's plenty of water on site 😉

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Physopto said:

First time I've seem someone else witha Star Base on SGL. cracking 😁

I have got the original prototype which is more engineered that the production models. I ordered one from Altair Astro when they were first advertised. I waited for ages due to problems with the production process. After a few months of waiting, they sent me the prototype and said that I could keep it if I like it. Most of my astronomy friends call it 'the lunar lander'.  I agree, it is a great  piece of kit.

• Like 2

I hope everyone who left today got home safely. A big thanks to the Dob Mob for keeping everyone's spirits up in the rain, and for finding the source of the squeak in my car's suspension! Just a few of us left here tonight, I leave on Tuesday.

The owner of the site told me how to turn off the light that shines up the tree near the entrance to The Oaks, there is an EHU station by the small wall next to it.  (see photo). He is more than happy for us to switch it off when we are there and just asks that we switch it back on when we leave. What a great guy!!!!!!!

Really nice to have met Martin and Clive as well.

A big Thanks to Tony (Freff) for organising.

20221023_165830.jpg

20221023_165804.jpg

Edited by reddoss
  • Like 5

Home safely after a record quick time to get home. 3 and 3/4 hours was a surprise and a complete contrast to the 7 and half hours last time.

Cheers all for a good weekend. To quote the mob moto 

If you don't go, you'll never know! 

We had 20 mins clear on Friday night and a couple of Orionids graced the skies. It did rain (more like someone throwing buckets of water at the awning) but as always it was a laugh.

• Like 3

Always happy to help support the SWSP..hope the mob raised a smile and the Dob church had a good attendance as all are welcome to join in the fun..good to meet you all and let's hope for better weather next time 🤞

• Like 3

On 21/10/2022 at 17:07, reddoss said:

I have got the original prototype which is more engineered that the production models. I ordered one from Altair Astro when they were first advertised. I waited for ages due to problems with the production process. After a few months of waiting, they sent me the prototype and said that I could keep it if I like it. Most of my astronomy friends call it 'the lunar lander'.  I agree, it is a great  piece of kit.

You are right agreat piece of kit!

I bought one just after they started selling them.

But altered mine as I found that the feet kept either loosening of or getting too tight. I fitted  cam locks, works a treat. A great pity that they are no longer being manufactured and available.

As an ex engineer I could not see how these mounts could be made for the price!

• Like 1

Thanks to all who attended this Autumns SWAG SP. 

Despite the poor weather, it appears everyone enjoyed themselves. 

A big thanks to Justyn for taking the reins during my absence, ( must try harder controlling the weather)🌧️ 😀 and the Dob Mob for their unwavering support and presence.

I'm hoping to organise another event in the early Spring, probably the weekend 18th-19th March. New Moon on 21st.. Please let me know your thoughts.

Again many thanks, take care and see you in the new year. 👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Freff said:

A big thanks to Justyn for taking the reins during my absence, ( must try harder controlling the weather)🌧️ 😀 and the Dob Mob for their unwavering support and presence.

I'm hoping to organise another event in the early Spring, probably the weekend 18th-19th March. New Moon on 21st.. Please let me know your thoughts.

I'll certainly go to that if I can. I'm not sure about the spring Astrocamp dates (just down the road) and whether they clash. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I'll certainly go to that if I can. I'm not sure about the spring Astrocamp dates (just down the road) and whether they clash. Any ideas?

I'm not sure on the Cwmdu Astrocamp dates, I'm sure Justyn will have details on that.

59 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Unfortunately the March dates clash with Galloway star party which I've already booked. Hopefully their will be a good turn out. 

I would like to go to the Galloway SP, but I know the local Druids would have something to say about it. 🧙‍♂️ Ever seen 'The Wicker Man'.

• Haha 4

On 25/10/2022 at 11:32, Freff said:

I will pencil the dates in my diary and begin the praying for good weather 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 25/10/2022 at 14:42, mapstar said:

Unfortunately the March dates clash with Galloway star party which I've already booked. Hopefully their will be a good turn out. 

Also it clashes with Kielder Spring Starcamp 2023, which I am already booked for.

Regards,

Alistair G.