NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

😂

Sunshine

That’s the best one yet! 😂😂 Although to be fair the finder is pointing in the right direction even if the rest of the scope is not! I think this “top of the line” scope (see description) is wasted on them. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

I looked at this picture and thought it looked odd, then it dawned on me. Why would anyone have run that ad for a telescope?

While at my local book store I saw a guide to the night sky written by Terrence Dickinson, this was an example of an ad from late 80’s early 90’s where the authors were highlighting department store scopes to stay away from which enticed beginners with flashy ads. This particular ad was from a Sears catalog.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

I looked at this picture and thought it looked odd, then it dawned on me. Why would anyone have run that ad for a telescope?

Presume to get the 'Safari' logo top right the right way up? Presumably it was marketed at parents buying for their kids. You can imagine the marketing people saying get the logo in the pic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh my word, $870! well at least it comes with a moon filter! I love how the warranty disclaimer stresses “with normal use” I guess they voided their own warranty right off the start, nothing normal in this ad.

Edited by Sunshine

I can only imagine that they sent the scope to an advertising agency with the simple instructions to photograph it and create an advert to go in some magazine or other, then never saw it prior to publication. Of course, it was obligatory back then to have the father and son image for this hobby. I can't imagine how awful the view is through that finderscope, which really does not look anywhere near 42 mm to me.

It probably has a spherical mirror.

Price increase just in time for Christmas, too!

6 minutes ago, Orange Smartie said:

This is what can happen when you ignore the advice to buy an 8" dob. Just sayin'.

I agree ,I've taken your advice ,not quite a dob ,but it will do ...oh wait according to the advert I've got mine back too front lol1268644474_IMG_20220906_1250002.thumb.jpg.1a152cb33bedf08ef66b9f81742248a5.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

I can only imagine that they sent the scope to an advertising agency with the simple instructions to photograph it and create an advert to go in some magazine or other, then never saw it prior to publication. Of course, it was obligatory back then to have the father and son image for this hobby. I can't imagine how awful the view is through that finderscope, which really does not look anywhere near 42 mm to me.

It probably has a spherical mirror.

Price increase just in time for Christmas, too!

I thought father and son but it’s his wife.

• Haha 1