NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Takahashi joins the fleet

It’s been almost a year’s wait, but Melanie has finally arrived

Takahashi Mewlon 210.

Normal a refractor man for visual, I thought  I’d give one of these mirror-y things a go for a change.

8AFF83E5-4760-40DD-BE9E-F6642F3B56C3.thumb.jpeg.baa15bff503129691c1e92586104b966.jpeg3E40F40B-365A-4878-B7DB-3E4B1789E838.thumb.jpeg.26ed08bb64dbe58dc8797d833da25e6d.jpegDEF2FAC9-956F-4B12-A2C1-42F7571B1D0F.thumb.jpeg.11786976101a29fe0843f87d2a8eb7f2.jpeg6071EBF7-E5DF-4D92-910F-A549C4500C6E.thumb.jpeg.745abe7dbe2ff5b27aad5877ef35ee84.jpegD78D5928-2E28-49C1-BE4F-CE65C4C63CB7.thumb.jpeg.85336d8620711f72e2b5c4de17fd21b3.jpegFAB966CB-B8BE-4986-B37D-9842CC6986C9.thumb.jpeg.b94ffd1c87a361247cc67f72ed2c3897.jpeg

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 31

Oh the Mewlon which I have always been so curious about! congratulations! I would have never thought, considering all your refractors.

Now I wait with childlike anticipation for your first light report! it is BEAUTIFUL!!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I ordered a Mewlon focus knob device (to enable easier control of fine focus).

Took weeks in the post from Scopestuff. Unfortunately the diameter is slightly too wide when I have the Baader visual back in place. I need to find somebody with a lathe to trim it to size.

image.thumb.jpg.b96a5def72b4cd6bdf33cd904d1cbc36.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Oh the Mewlon which I have always been so curious about! congratulations! I would have never thought, considering all your refractors.

Mow I wait with childlike anticipation for your first light report!

As do I........:happy1:

Lovely scope Jeremy.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

with a lathe to trim it to size.

A couple of us with lathes, mills etc in Club EU which I guess are of no use to you. I suggest you start a new thread..

Help!! Someone with a lathe required...

It's only a 10 min job, is there a model engineer club nearby that would do it for a beer?

• Like 1

Welcome to the Mewlon club @JeremyS, and what a Mewlon that is 😮

Good move going straight to getting Baader Clicklock fittings for the back end, that does make life easier... if I'd have known you were doing that, I could have saved you a few pennies, as I ended up with a spare M72/M68 adaptor sitting around here somewhere 😁

I forgot this one comes with the 50mm finder too. Very nice, and indeed you'll love how easy it is to manoeuvre these around using that finder/handle 👍

Eagerly await first light, although cloud seems to be stopping play a bit at the moment 🤞 Still gives you time to sit lovingly gazing at Melanie for a few days anyway 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh and I'm sure you noticed that with Mewlons, Takahashi are so generous... not only do you actually get a finder, but they also provide a 35mm dovetail mount fitting too 😮

Most unlike them to give anything away free with the scope 🤣

Edited by HollyHound
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Oh and I'm sure you noticed that with Mewlons, Takahashi are so generous... not only do you actually get a finder, but they also provide a 35mm dovetail mount fitting too 😮

Most unlike them to give anything away free with the scope 🤣

Point made, how is it that a TSA-120 comes bare naked and a mewlon 180 costing half as much gets a finder? seems odd.

• Like 2

"Normal a tractor man for visual, I thought  I’d give one of these mirror-y things a go for a change"

That's ok, Jeremy, we forgive you..at least you'll be looking through the correct end!:)

Dave

PS..and it does come with a proper little scope too👍🤣

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

Can't wait to hear your comments about this beauty. My next telescope purchase will be heavily influenced by what you say!! A year? I was expecting about three months.

Well, as luck would have it, FLO has one in stock now 😱

It was only a few weeks ago that they were giving a likely year end delivery 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

They've had two delivered in the recent batch., not just your one, nice 😀

I noticed they had a bunch of Taks suddenly appear on the website... at least three TSA120s (yes I am still considering one, but not until after the wedding now 🤣)... perhaps supply is slowly being restored, or just they've finally caught up with FLOs back orders 🤞

Mewlon 180 is still showing as 90-120 days though.... wow 😬

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

That looks superb and the clicklock arrangements you've added on the back look really effective (clicklock is so dark nights, cold hands and tired brain friendly). Will you side by side mount it with a refractor for "best of both worlds" on a given target or do you have particular targets and projects in mind for it?

• Like 4

@JeremyS I knew you would get one 😂

Congratulations 👍

I had my 180 out last night and had my first look at Jupiter through it - I am VERY pleased.

Once cooled they are very sharp and have excellent contrast.

I use a USB powered PC fan resting on the spider to cool it down.

Mine had image shift at first, but I fiddled with the focuser to adjust it to practically zero shift at x400.

Once collimated (the screws are VERY tight) it stays put.

I think they are fabulous scopes and comfortable to use too.

Look forward to your first light report……

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

For once I have the funds to enable a purchase right now but a pending house move is holding me back. I sold a 12 inch a few months back and most of the astro gear is packed away with the obsy full of boxes and other stuff. I am tempted though as it can't be too difficult to open a box and remove a Tak equatorial plus tripod. Can it?

What I don't want to happen is to wait a few months, order a Mewlon, only to be told there's a year wait. And then we now have shorter days and Jupiter and Saturn becoming favourable. Think I'll have to sleep on it and decide during the next day or so.  Is there an emoji for someone in a quandry?

Edited by Cleetus
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

For once I have the funds to enable a purchase right now but a pending house move is holding me back. I sold a 12 inch a few months back and most of the astro gear is packed away with the obsy full of boxes and other stuff. I am tempted though as it can't be too difficult to open a box and remove a Tak equatorial plus tripod. Can it?

What I don't want to happen is to wait a few months, order a Mewlon, only to be told there's a year wait. And then we now have shorter days and Jupiter and Saturn becoming favourable. Think I'll have to sleep on it and decide during the next day or so.  Is there an emoji for someone in a quandry?

Nooooo, live for today, order it 🙂

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

I noticed they had a bunch of Taks suddenly appear on the website... at least three TSA120s (yes I am still considering one, but not until after the wedding now 🤣)... 

Well, there is only one listed now! Are you sure you haven’t….?

• Haha 1