Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first Mono-SHO

mackiedlm

I had decided to not go mono until I could afford (and justify) the cost of a ASI2600mm But then I got a "too good to turn down" offer of a used QHY 163m (the QHY version of the ASI1600mm) complete with filter wheel and an equally good offer on a set of ZWO NB filters.

So this is my first light with that camera and my first ever mono/NB/SHO image with my own gear and data.

It is 2 hours of Ha and 1.5 hrs each Sii and Oiii. Of course more time will help but nights are still short here. The Oiii was really poor because of the full moon and a high haze. The little Sharpstar 61 EDPHii does not like moon anywhere close and I had some nasty gradients and reflections in the oiii. Ha and Sii were fine.

I have done 2 vesions the first with some green still in, which I feel is part of the "hubble pallete"

IC1396.thumb.png.fbef67f303b78ce7ae002050b206c562.png

And the second with the green removed as that seems to be "de-rigueur" these days!

IC1396_scnr.thumb.png.6ab1bb9f3fd6f21c80b7c786aab9228d.png

I would really appreciate constructive critique and suggestions for improvement from those of you more experienced with mono and NB. Thanks in advance.

• Like 17

What a great first light!!! both very beautiful images........personally I'm not a big fan of removing green out of narrow band......I try not to do it, but it's not all that easy to balance the green when the H-alpha channel is so strong.... Removing green  can cause blotching and desaturated artefacts and can sometimes lose some of those lovely subtle and detailed tones......

What a beauty.  A superb image.  I'm with Peter on this.  Other than comets we never see green in astronomical targets which is probably why some people don't like to see it.  But one of the key things about HST images is that you can see the different gases in a way you can't with broadband.   It just seemsto make more sense to reveal areas where the Ha shines through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

What a beauty.  A superb image.  I'm with Peter on this.  Other than comets we never see green in astronomical targets which is probably why some people don't like to see it.  But one of the key things about HST images is that you can see the different gases in a way you can't with broadband.   It just seemsto make more sense to reveal areas where the Ha shines through.

On 23/08/2022 at 08:56, peter shah said:

What a great first light!!! both very beautiful images........personally I'm not a big fan of removing green out of narrow band......I try not to do it, but it's not all that easy to balance the green when the H-alpha channel is so strong.... Removing green  can cause blotching and desaturated artefacts and can sometimes lose some of those lovely subtle and detailed tones......

Thanks so much Martin and Peter. Yes I completely agree completely. Like i said in the OP, green has always been a part of the HST images - think of the original pillars of creation.  i think in some instances it does need to be "toned down" a bit but the fashion seems to be to remove green entirely - which i think is a pity.

• Like 1