NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bye bye mirror...

great_bear

3 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Lucky you to have a good neighbor.  Mine just silently keeps my misdelivered mail and packages.

Over here I think its generally accepted practise that the postie drops a card to say who they left it with and the onus is on the recipient of the card to come collect from you. Works pretty well in the main, tho one neighbour here can take days before they bother to knock for their delivery. I've often been tempted to just drop it over their back garden fence and pop a card in to let them know 😉 

We have 250 cluster mailboxes at the back of our subdivision, and it is all too easy for our postal workers to chuck mail into the wrong slot since they aren't well marked.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, I have indifferent neighbors who can't be bothered with being neighborly.  I think they consider misdelivered mail to be covered by this general rule in the US:

Under state and federal law, recipients of unordered merchandise may keep the goods and are under no obligation to pay for or return them.

Edited by Louis D
  • Sad 2

UPS, FedEx, DHL, and Amazon always deliver to the front door, so less room for error as compared to cluster mailboxes.  This does risk porch pirates getting to your package before you do.

This does have the advantage over locked mailboxes in that once I see a package is delivered; but it isn't at my door, I can quickly go around the neighborhood checking porches for my package.  Again, only USPS has done this when they've run out of parcel lockers (the big ones in the cluster picture).  If you're wondering how parcel lockers work, they put the key in your regular mailbox (hopefully).  You then take the numbered key to the appropriate parcel locker, insert the key, unlock it, and retrieve your parcel.  The key is now locked into the keyway and the door slams shut, but not locked, on a spring.

Edited by Louis D

My first choice of courier company for astro items would be UPS.  This is because, last time I checked, UPS were the only courier to cover glass for both loss or damage. However, this is only if booked direct rather than through a third party broker.

What annoys me though is that, whilst I can understand the courier companies not covering damage to glass, it's patently unfair not to exclude loss. After all, if a parcel gets lost that's the company's fault entirely!

I suspect this could be successfully challenged as a breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and/or the Unfair Terms in Consumer Regulations 1999.  Unfortunately, it would probably end up in court, which would be expensive unless there was a group action by perhaps Citizen's Advice or the Consumer's Association.

• Like 1

Its interesting hearing so many good things from UPS from around the world. I wouldn't give them a single cent more.

Here in Finland they are only marginally a better choice than having the parcel be catapulted to your home and never the first choice for anyone. Their entire consumer business model is based on not offrering any option other than home delivery but with a twist: not even attempting delivery to the address and claiming "we tried to deliver but excuse#1, excuse#2, etc etc". This works because most people dont order that many things from abroad and UPS is the cheapest choice so not much chance to get disappointed often. I have used UPS 4 times now and the only time the item was actually delivered to my door was when for a previous package i called their customer service and said that i saw your truck right outside my home, got a text message saying that i wasn't home, and then saw the truck drive off and deliver it to a drop off location where i could only access it the next day. The drop off location is this weird small asian foodstuff market open at obscure hours and in an inconvenient location. When i went there the only employee present asked "how big is the box" because there was just a literal PILE of boxes in the corner with no organization or seemingly any care to how the boxes are treated. It was presumably the entire delivery route from the UPS driver of the previous day. The customer service rep on the phone sounded so tired and empty inside that i reckon its not the first time she heard this kind of experience, actually i think it might be the only experience she has had in the job, in the end she apologized and apologized and promised that they will see to deliveries to be, you know, delivered here on out.

The next package, which was actually just part 2 of the earlier package was actually delivered to my door. The delivery guy looked like i had murdered a puppy and was clearly not even slightly interested in actually doing the job of a delivery man, he just stared at me coldly and went heres your package and went off. The box was scruffy as hell, but thankfully all astro purhcases are double boxed into UPS idiot proof packages.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Having done some business consultancy work for a courier company I can certainly both sympathise and empathise!  I too witnessed some totally unacceptable practices.

My experience there, plus in my own businesses, has led me to believe that there's an enormous difference from depot to depot within the same company.  This is especially so if the depots are franchised.

Additionally, there's a similar enormous difference between the delivery drivers.  This was apparent when staff moved on, and is also something I've witnessed as a consumer.  For instance, we've had good and bad drivers from Evri (or Hermes as they used to be known).  Luckily, all our local UPS drivers (so far!) have been great.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about that, I hope whomever took it dropped it on the bridge of their foot and hobbled for a while. A few years ago I sent a 60mm Lunt to Arizona for a pressure tune retrofit, Lunt sent it back priority with

signature required status but it seems the courier delivered it on the steps of my front porch without even ringing the door. It sat there for hours till I got home with a gaping hole on the side of the box, I was livid considering

I had a small bag of driveway salt stolen off my porch in the winter, yes a $3.49 cent half used bag.

6 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Its interesting hearing so many good things from UPS from around the world. I wouldn't give them a single cent more.

Here in Finland they are only marginally a better choice than having the parcel be catapulted to your home and never the first choice for anyone. Their entire consumer business model is based on not offrering any option other than home delivery but with a twist: not even attempting delivery to the address and claiming "we tried to deliver but excuse#1, excuse#2, etc etc". This works because most people dont order that many things from abroad and UPS is the cheapest choice so not much chance to get disappointed often. I have used UPS 4 times now and the only time the item was actually delivered to my door was when for a previous package i called their customer service and said that i saw your truck right outside my home, got a text message saying that i wasn't home, and then saw the truck drive off and deliver it to a drop off location where i could only access it the next day. The drop off location is this weird small asian foodstuff market open at obscure hours and in an inconvenient location. When i went there the only employee present asked "how big is the box" because there was just a literal PILE of boxes in the corner with no organization or seemingly any care to how the boxes are treated. It was presumably the entire delivery route from the UPS driver of the previous day. The customer service rep on the phone sounded so tired and empty inside that i reckon its not the first time she heard this kind of experience, actually i think it might be the only experience she has had in the job, in the end she apologized and apologized and promised that they will see to deliveries to be, you know, delivered here on out.

The next package, which was actually just part 2 of the earlier package was actually delivered to my door. The delivery guy looked like i had murdered a puppy and was clearly not even slightly interested in actually doing the job of a delivery man, he just stared at me coldly and went heres your package and went off. The box was scruffy as hell, but thankfully all astro purhcases are double boxed into UPS idiot proof packages.

This sums up pretty much my experience of UPS in Ireland. Latest-but-one package still not delivered since May: they’re still asking for Customs to be paid even though I paid it in May and have supplied receipt numbers etc.

Latest package delivered into the bushes at the bottom of my lane 100m away: this method standard delivery practice for them.

M

13 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

This sums up pretty much my experience of UPS in Ireland. Latest-but-one package still not delivered since May: they’re still asking for Customs to be paid even though I paid it in May and have supplied receipt numbers etc.

Latest package delivered into the bushes at the bottom of my lane 100m away: this method standard delivery practice for them.

M

Just left out in the rain? Damn that sucks as a service...

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly started a new thread, but this seemed a good place for this post, if not a mod can single it out I guess. It is on a similar theme. :smiley:

Today I received a parcel from FLO via DPD and for the first time I can remember from DPD, got a damaged box/parcel. Not huge damage, but a hole in the corner, which has allowed a little damage to the woodwork and more importantly, a missing rubber foot on my new Berlebach NIX II chair. :sad: The rubber feet just slide off, so if in stock easily solved.

This is extremely disappointing, as I was looking forward to using it this week and it is out of stock, so considering current circumstance, it will be weeks before a replacement can arrive. The chair was loosely packed in the box, allowing it to slide about quite freely, all it would take is a sharp brake and Bob's your uncle! I feel I should be able to improvise a replacement, but not sure why I should. Certainly puts me off buying Berlebach, if their packing is so poor. Which is a pity because I have been considering a tripod. Worse still someone else bought me the chair.  

I have e mailed @FLO of course and am certain they will resolve it, but it is all so disappointing. :sad:

1349669114_IMG_20220824_184351_82-Copy.thumb.jpg.37e6e03a977a1ab0c55d4fa25b0cdd4b.jpg1493932165_IMG_20220824_193815_42-Copy.thumb.jpg.5bee1eda6af89b2207dde314c520d2ba.jpg

1497778166_IMG_20220824_193916_6-Copy.thumb.jpg.401bbfe0c8a30a9e82b8728118912e1d.jpg1651009030_IMG_20220824_194848_0-Copy.thumb.jpg.891a7ea7624bb438ca1e41515990ec72.jpg

• Sad 2

On 14/08/2022 at 22:44, Captain Scarlet said:

M

Shock horror … it finally got delivered! VERY worn packaging. At the bottom of the lane again (not wet because there’d been no rain for 3 weeks) but it took 3.5 months, and a re-order in the meantime. So I now have lots of extra highly specific mostly Torx bolts with various lengths widths and heads. Always useful.

Magnus

• Like 2

On 14/08/2022 at 16:06, Second Time Around said:

Having done some business consultancy work for a courier company I can certainly both sympathise and empathise!  I too witnessed some totally unacceptable practices.

My experience there, plus in my own businesses, has led me to believe that there's an enormous difference from depot to depot within the same company.  This is especially so if the depots are franchised.

Additionally, there's a similar enormous difference between the delivery drivers.  This was apparent when staff moved on, and is also something I've witnessed as a consumer.  For instance, we've had good and bad drivers from Evri (or Hermes as they used to be known).  Luckily, all our local UPS drivers (so far!) have been great.

It looks like we have a new UPS driver, who certainly isn't great!

They've just thrown a package over a 5ft gate onto our brick patio!  What's more it's clearly marked with a picture of a wine glass, and wording in English and German saying "glass" and "optical lenses"!

What makes it worse is that it's a replacement for a Baader Maxbright ll binoviewer that I'd returned under warranty and which couldn't be repaired.  Unfortunately, Baader had no more in stock and I've had to wait over 18 months for this replacement to arrive.  

It was very well-packed so hopefully it won't have been knocked out of collimation.  Especially, as they're now out of stock again!

Grrr!

• Sad 4

On 09/08/2022 at 12:24, maw lod qan said:

Any four year old knows if you hold your hands up with your thumb out, the one making an L is LEFT!

Just tried that: The one making an L is my right!

Oh ... You meant to look at the backs of my hands. Why didn't you say so! Too many ways to interpret this one for it to be a solution! 🤣

45 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Just tried that: The one making an L is my right!

Oh ... You meant to look at the backs of my hands. Why didn't you say so! Too many ways to interpret this one for it to be a solution! 🤣

I'm going to have to keep an eye on you. You could be considered a malcontent and trouble maker, just like me!

Welcome to the club!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

It looks like we have a new UPS driver, who certainly isn't great!

They've just thrown a package over a 5ft gate onto our brick patio!  What's more it's clearly marked with a picture of a wine glass, and wording in English and German saying "glass" and "optical lenses"!

What makes it worse is that it's a replacement for a Baader Maxbright ll binoviewer that I'd returned under warranty and which couldn't be repaired.  Unfortunately, Baader had no more in stock and I've had to wait over 18 months for this replacement to arrive.  

It was very well-packed so hopefully it won't have been knocked out of collimation.  Especially, as they're now out of stock again!

Grrr!

You really *must* report this - as UPS have a very good reputation which I’m sure they want to keep!