Banner.jpg.b6007b69ccdf5c69bf18273ddfe023df.jpg

Ancient Astronomers ?

I read that the people who painted the animals in the cave at Lascaux 17,000 years ago interpreted the constellation of Taurus as a bull (or an Aurochs). It has been suggested that the sequence of dots around it's eye are a representation of the Hyades with Aldebaran as the beast's eye. Over it's shoulder are the Pleiades.

I think it a bit of a stretch to come to this conclusion, but not inconceivable. Assuming of course that the stars have conveniently staid in roughly the same position for all that time.

See the source image

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

Assuming of course that the stars have conveniently staid in roughly the same position for all that time.

See the source image

Taurus et al from 17,000BC ... :smile:

stellarium-000.thumb.png.e3331bce4c5bbe08f7e0bf0d4d9fd69e.png

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

I read that the people who painted the animals in the cave at Lascaux 17,000 years ago interpreted the constellation of Taurus as a bull (or an Aurochs). It has been suggested that the sequence of dots around it's eye are a representation of the Hyades with Aldebaran as the beast's eye. Over it's shoulder are the Pleiades.

I think it a bit of a stretch to come to this conclusion, but not inconceivable. Assuming of course that the stars have conveniently staid in roughly the same position for all that time.

See the source image

Looks about right to me..

Alan