Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ancient Astronomers ?

I read that the people who painted the animals in the cave at Lascaux 17,000 years ago interpreted the constellation of Taurus as a bull (or an Aurochs). It has been suggested that the sequence of dots around it's eye are a representation of the Hyades with Aldebaran as the beast's eye. Over it's shoulder are the Pleiades.

I think it a bit of a stretch to come to this conclusion, but not inconceivable. Assuming of course that the stars have conveniently staid in roughly the same position for all that time.

See the source image

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

I read that the people who painted the animals in the cave at Lascaux 17,000 years ago interpreted the constellation of Taurus as a bull (or an Aurochs). It has been suggested that the sequence of dots around it's eye are a representation of the Hyades with Aldebaran as the beast's eye. Over it's shoulder are the Pleiades.

I think it a bit of a stretch to come to this conclusion, but not inconceivable. Assuming of course that the stars have conveniently staid in roughly the same position for all that time.

See the source image

Looks about right to me..

Alan

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, markse68 said:

BTW, I’ve been reading about a β€œdouble double” in Sco- Sh 225 and Sh 226. Trouble is Skysafari doesn’t recognise those designators. Don’t suppose you know what catalogue Sh is or alternative designators?

Mark

I think it refers to theΒ Sharpless Catalogue.

Edited by Zeta Reticulan

26 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

I think it refers to theΒ Sharpless Catalogue.

Sharpless seems to be a catalogue of nebulously like the Messier catalogue though rather than stars. It’s got me stumped- I’ve looked on SS in the vicinity of where they should be according to the descriptions but there’s nothing there that i can find πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Simbad doesn’t like them either

Mark

Maybe Shapley? πŸ€”

Edited by markse68

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

BTW, I’ve been reading about a β€œdouble double” in Sco- Sh 225 and Sh 226. Trouble is Skysafari doesn’t recognise those designators. Don’t suppose you know what catalogue Sh is or alternative designators?

Mark

They are in Skysafari under SHJ 225 and SHJ 226.

I think SHJ is the catalogue designation of James South (1785-1867).Β 

Edited by globular
  • Thanks 3

Do you think the ancient Astronomers were looked upon as some one special?

With that time being still hunting and gathering would they have been relied on for when and where to focus their attempts at finding food.

Regardless, it is astonishing how so much of mankind's past was spent looking into the night skies.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Sharpless seems to be a catalogue of nebulously like the Messier catalogue though rather than stars. It’s got me stumped- I’ve looked on SS in the vicinity of where they should be according to the descriptions but there’s nothing there that i can find πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Simbad doesn’t like them either

Mark

Maybe Shapley? πŸ€”

Yeah, there are too many catalogues if you ask me lol.

4 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

With that time being still hunting and gathering would they have been relied on for when and where to focus their attempts at finding food.

Regardless, it is astonishing how so much of mankind's past was spent looking into the night skies.

I think they had less light pollution.

10 hours ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

Yeah, there are too many catalogues if you ask me lol.

btw, found out what catalogue SH/SHJ refers to- South and Herschel.Β https://bestdoubles.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/references-for-historical-double-star-information/

(Original catalogue with comments in link)

Skysafari refers to these stars as South 225 and 226

Mark

• Thanks 1

On 04/09/2022 at 22:45, maw lod qan said:

Yes I would say so. Appearance of certain starsΒ πŸ’« above the horizon can be (and I'm sure was) used to advise on planting time, etc. 🌽 Long after hunter-gatherers settled into farming.
In certain countries, the time of year (measured by stars) could be used to advise an impending annual river flood, or a useful πŸ…πŸ– animal migration.
Lunar study πŸŒ› would help coastal dwellers understand when to expect a tide - and when to expect a big tide - nobody knew or cared why.πŸ¦€
Now we look at the calendar on our phones and buy food from a supermarket.πŸ€”
Those who look at the night sky are just odd🀣