Jump to content

Banner.jpg.a6cfb1096e398326512fb431f7963547.jpg
 

Ancient Astronomers ?


Recommended Posts

I read that the people who painted the animals in the cave at Lascaux 17,000 years ago interpreted the constellation of Taurus as a bull (or an Aurochs). It has been suggested that the sequence of dots around it's eye are a representation of the Hyades with Aldebaran as the beast's eye. Over it's shoulder are the Pleiades.

I think it a bit of a stretch to come to this conclusion, but not inconceivable. Assuming of course that the stars have conveniently staid in roughly the same position for all that time.

See the source image

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

I read that the people who painted the animals in the cave at Lascaux 17,000 years ago interpreted the constellation of Taurus as a bull (or an Aurochs). It has been suggested that the sequence of dots around it's eye are a representation of the Hyades with Aldebaran as the beast's eye. Over it's shoulder are the Pleiades.

I think it a bit of a stretch to come to this conclusion, but not inconceivable. Assuming of course that the stars have conveniently staid in roughly the same position for all that time.

See the source image

Looks about right to me..

Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, markse68 said:

BTW, I’ve been reading about a “double double” in Sco- Sh 225 and Sh 226. Trouble is Skysafari doesn’t recognise those designators. Don’t suppose you know what catalogue Sh is or alternative designators?

Mark

I think it refers to the Sharpless Catalogue.

Edited by Zeta Reticulan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

I think it refers to the Sharpless Catalogue.

Sharpless seems to be a catalogue of nebulously like the Messier catalogue though rather than stars. It’s got me stumped- I’ve looked on SS in the vicinity of where they should be according to the descriptions but there’s nothing there that i can find 🤷‍♂️ Simbad doesn’t like them either

Mark

Maybe Shapley? 🤔

Edited by markse68
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

BTW, I’ve been reading about a “double double” in Sco- Sh 225 and Sh 226. Trouble is Skysafari doesn’t recognise those designators. Don’t suppose you know what catalogue Sh is or alternative designators?

Mark

They are in Skysafari under SHJ 225 and SHJ 226.

I think SHJ is the catalogue designation of James South (1785-1867). 

Edited by globular
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you think the ancient Astronomers were looked upon as some one special?

With that time being still hunting and gathering would they have been relied on for when and where to focus their attempts at finding food.

Regardless, it is astonishing how so much of mankind's past was spent looking into the night skies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Sharpless seems to be a catalogue of nebulously like the Messier catalogue though rather than stars. It’s got me stumped- I’ve looked on SS in the vicinity of where they should be according to the descriptions but there’s nothing there that i can find 🤷‍♂️ Simbad doesn’t like them either

Mark

Maybe Shapley? 🤔

Yeah, there are too many catalogues if you ask me lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Do you think the ancient Astronomers were looked upon as some one special?

With that time being still hunting and gathering would they have been relied on for when and where to focus their attempts at finding food.

Regardless, it is astonishing how so much of mankind's past was spent looking into the night skies.

I think they had less light pollution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

Yeah, there are too many catalogues if you ask me lol.

btw, found out what catalogue SH/SHJ refers to- South and Herschel. https://bestdoubles.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/references-for-historical-double-star-information/

(Original catalogue with comments in link)

Skysafari refers to these stars as South 225 and 226

Mark

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/09/2022 at 22:45, maw lod qan said:

Do you think the ancient Astronomers were looked upon as some one special?

With that time being still hunting and gathering would they have been relied on for when and where to focus their attempts at finding food.

Regardless, it is astonishing how so much of mankind's past was spent looking into the night skies.

Yes I would say so. Appearance of certain stars 💫 above the horizon can be (and I'm sure was) used to advise on planting time, etc. 🌽 Long after hunter-gatherers settled into farming.
In certain countries, the time of year (measured by stars) could be used to advise an impending annual river flood, or a useful 🐅🍖 animal migration.
Lunar study 🌛 would help coastal dwellers understand when to expect a tide - and when to expect a big tide - nobody knew or cared why.🦀
Now we look at the calendar on our phones and buy food from a supermarket.🤔
Those who look at the night sky are just odd🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.