M81 and M82 (first image in a while)

Aza

Hi all

Here is a few hours worth of 10 minute subs, taken with a 400D and Skywatcher 8" Newt.

I am not very happy with this...I find it hard to keep the background looking nice, and I also have trouble with the colours. Processed on my laptop, which probably doesnt help!

200903m82.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aza, that's a great result. The colours look very well indeed.

To get that kind of result in the arms of M81, means you will have also picked up in the background traces of the 'flux'. This makes it very difficult to work on the background for this scene. But this pic looks just great.

Nice to see you posting pics again.

TJ

Thanks for all the comments everyone :)

Was nice to get back out again, seems like an age ago I last took any images, the weather has just been terrible for it.

To get anything from the galaxies meant making a mess of the background, would more exposures allow me to get the detail without stretching the background so much?

Cheers

Well Aza, I'm looking at this on my work monitor which doesn't pick up dark levels very well so I can't see the noise you are talking about. The longer you go the dimmer the detail you pick up and the more you can stretch the image to show it. You will always come to the point where the real stuff merges in with the background noise.

TJ makes a good point though, some of the background "noise" in this area is actually real stuff! With your long exposures you might be picking some of this up.

The image looks fantastic here.

I think you might find the background gets 'worse', whereas in fact you are just getting extra data from the very faint integrated flux.

The way to tell, is to stretch your image way beyond what you should, smooth out all the background with "dust and scratches" tool, then increse the contrast a bit.

Then compare the light and dark areas to this image;

http://astrosurf.com/jordigallego/album/Files_dark_sky_SBIG/M81_M82_with_Integrated_Flux_Nebulae.jpg

You'll probably see a correlation between the detail in the flux and the background noise. It's a pig to try and bring out though.

Cheers

TJ

Archived