NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light with Daystar Quark chromosphere

StuartT

Just had the first sunny day with my new Quark. I turned the tuning knob all the way anti-clockwise and then gradually moved one step at a time (waiting 10 mins for it to settle each time). Not sure where the correct tuning point should be. Here is a stacked set of 500 or so frames with a mono camera.

Not very impressive so far! 🤣

10_27_31_Sun_AS_P17_lapl6_ap749.jpg

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 3

There is no specific tuning point for a Quark as they are all individuals.  The mica chip which forms the etalon is a natural component, it is what it is, you can't change it or improve it, hence the variability of the Quark.  The mica chips in the Quark are ones that failed to make the grade of the much more expensive research grade models.  Getting the best performance from your Quark is a process of experimentation.      🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Providing the light is turning green each time it should be getting enough juice.

Certainly looks like a good white light image but not so good Ha!

the light on the Quark looks orange. It looks like the USB is only delivering 0.8A, but I am not sure how to increase this with the Pegasus Powerbox

Capture.JPG

Edited by StuartT

Not hot enough then, your image showed that the Quark was not yet "on band".  It also showed Newton rings which can be eliminated by tilting the camera or by using a camera that is not susceptible to them.  Quarks are seldom "plug & play".     🙂 

1 hour ago, Altocumulus said:

Are you connected usb 2, or 3? 

I've tried both the blue ones and the white ones (USB 3.0 and 2.0). The light stays orange in both cases.

How do people usually power Quarks? I just assumed they did this via a USB connection, but maybe not? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StuartT said:

How do people usually power Quarks?

With the supplied mains power adaptor, didn't you get one when you purchased the Quark ?

z.jpg

Edited by Debo
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Debo said:

With the supplied mains power adaptor, didn't you get one when you purchased the Quark ?

z.jpg

No. There was no power supply included when I got this from FLO! Maybe I should contact them and find out why.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

Having a quick look on internet, the psu for the quark says it supplies 1.8A.

Thanks. Acc to Pegasus, the USB outlet on the Ultimate Powerbox delivers USB output delivers 5A/ 2.5A, so I am not really sure what the problem is 🤔

1 minute ago, Roy Challen said:

Is the cable you're using adequate for the amperage? I bought one that handles at least 2.5A just to make sure.

that's a good question. Not sure about that. I don't suppose you happen to have a link to the one you bought, do you?

19 hours ago, StuartT said:

How do people usually power Quarks? I just assumed they did this via a USB connection, but maybe not? 🤷‍♂️

I use a solar power bank, the sort you would use to charge a phone. After all, the Sun will be out if I’m solar imaging so it makes sense to use the resource available up there.

Just one more point about the Quark. It will move off band as the ambient temperature rises so if you are imaging for a long period you may need to adjust the tuning. This isn’t a problem in March but could well be come the Summer.

Also something like this http://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa4.htm (second adapter down) will get shot of those newton rings. Just apply some electrical or duct tape around the circumference of the adapter to stop stray light leaking in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hughsie said:

I use a solar power bank, the sort you would use to charge a phone. After all, the Sun will be out if I’m solar imaging so it makes sense to use the resource available up there.

Just one more point about the Quark. It will move off band as the ambient temperature rises so if you are imaging for a long period you may need to adjust the tuning. This isn’t a problem in March but could well be come the Summer.

Also something like this http://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa4.htm (second adapter down) will get shot of those newton rings. Just apply some electrical or duct tape around the circumference of the adapter to stop stray light leaking in.

Thanks. In fact I have got it working now. I dug out a mobile phone powerpack I'd got and that works well. I'm now trying to figure out how to tell when the Quark is actually 'on band' as I seem to be getting granulation and proms at various dial positions

As for Newton's rings, fortunately my camera (Player One Apollo M mini) has a tilt adjuster built in)

10_34_21_Sun_AS_P12_lapl6_ap749.jpg

comp.jpg

10_43_46_Sun_AS_P4_lapl6_ap487.jpg

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 4

That looks better!

Making sure you are on band is quite difficult with many etalons, which show variable detail across the FOV. Proms tend to be better at wider bandwidths - 0.7A, while filaments are better around 0.3-0.5A. The easiest indicators of being on band are the darkness and contrast of filaments, and the brightness of plage around active regions. It’s a gradual learning process with each Quark. As Peter has said, no two examples are the same.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2022 at 10:55, StuartT said:

the light on the Quark looks orange. It looks like the USB is only delivering 0.8A, but I am not sure how to increase this with the Pegasus Powerbox

Capture.JPG

You can’t increase it, it’s fixed at 3 Amps Max, so if it shows 0.8, then that is what the device is drawing and needing, so all is good…

It only shows what the devices are using and not what the USB can supply max, but it is 3 amps, so as long as you don’t use anything that try’s to draw more than that, then USB is fine for power supply…..

Edited by Stuart1971

1 minute ago, xtreemchaos said:

hope you dont mind but i could not resist giving your image a stretch.

sr.thumb.png.d4b1aecffec5612cceba417139f0136f.png

i think i can say you have a very good quark there which is going to show you some wonderful things. well done mate. charl.

wow! I have only been using it a few hours, so I need to prefect the tuning and I think I have a lot to learn about processing too, but this is super! Thank you 🙂

• Like 3

Stuart,

Great minds think alike! :wink2:

I'd say you are nicely on band for H-alpha. Nice wide spread of detail too.
You just need a bit of processing in ImPPG to get more detail and contrast:
The images was slightly sharpened before I processed it. So I've made it too dark and grainy.
This wouldn't happen going direct from AS!3 to ImPPG yourself.

sturartt imppg processing rsz 800.jpg

Edited by Rusted
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Stuart,

Great minds think alike! :wink2:

I'd say you are nicely on band for H-alpha. Nice wide spread of detail too.
You just need a bit of processing in ImPPG to get more detail and contrast:
The images was slightly sharpened before I processed it. So it's a bit too grainy.
This wouldn't happen going direct from AS!3 to ImPPG yourself.

sturartt imppg processing rsz 800.jpg

thanks! I've not heard of ImPPG. Is it free? I just use AS!3 then Registax 6 for wavelets