Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Diagonals - Which one do you use?

All by Baader Planetarium. I've always liked Baader diagonal, good quality and well made and with a nice short lightpath thats beneficial for two eyed viewing.

2x prisms, on fitted with a 2.6x GPC for binoviewing

1x Amici prism (for binoviewing)

2" mirror diagonal - for mono viewing with heavier 2" eyepieces + Powermates.

A Herschel wedge for Solar.

Theres room for one more ; i'm after a smaller T2 mirror to be used with my new Zeiss binoviewer.

F3729D6D-875D-457D-ADDD-1234CD122165

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

How well does the Amici work with a GPC inserted for BV?

I have:

• Baader T2 BBHS prism
  • Baader T2 BBHS mirror
  • Baader 2" MaxBright
  • ES 2" Carbon Diagonal (very good IR performance for NVD), for visual the MaxBright is better.

Ideally I'd like too purchase a 2" BBHS mirror diagonal, however Baader is permanently out of stock.

Edited by Deadlake

30 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

How well does the Amici work with a GPC inserted for BV?

I have:

• Baader T2 BBHS prism
  • Baader T2 BBHS mirror
  • Baader 2" MaxBright
  • ES 2" Carbon Diagonal (very good IR performance for NVD), for visual the MaxBright is better.

Ideally I'd like too purchase a 2" BBHS mirror diagonal, however Baader is pnermenatly out of stock.

It looks the same as the other, ie it has identical connection and threads, but i've not tried.

With the Mk 5 bino, the 1.25 / 1.7x GPC is screwed into the back of the viewer rather than the diagonal.

I mainly use the Amici for daytime terrestrial ; nature or birds etc. And its not the megabucks version as they do a version that costs over £500 !!

Its a nice diagonal, the only time i've noticed the 'horizontal spike' thing is when viewing Venus.

The 2" mirror i use is the BBHS model and it is excellent.  (Part no. #2456115)

The white diagonal that Andy ES posted is also a beautiful quality diagonal if the other is not available (Part #2956100)

4 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

All by Baader Planetarium. I've always liked Baader diagonal, good quality and well made and with a nice short lightpath thats beneficial for two eyed viewing.

2x prisms, on fitted with a 2.6x GPC for binoviewing

2" mirror diagonal - for mono viewing with heavier 2" eyepieces + Powermates.

A Herschel wedge for Solar.

Theres room for one more ; i'm after a smaller T2 mirror to be used with my new Zeiss binoviewer.

F3729D6D-875D-457D-ADDD-1234CD122165

I didn't knew that Baader made a Herschel wedge, and tbh it seems like you are growing a massive diagonal group 😉

• Haha 1

I use the following...

Altair dielectric 1.25" mirror - not the best but good and gets lots of use.

Baader T2 prism - good for the short light path and T2 system and my preferred scope for  planetary.

Williams Optics RACI diagonaI. I use this if I'm not using a finder scope as star hopping it too tough otherwise.

Takahashi prism diagonal - super small and a super short light path.

1.25" Lacerta Herschel wedge for solar.

I'm waiting for a Televue 2" Everbrite so I get use 2" eyepieces in small scopes. That should be good.

Edited by Paz

I use my Explore Scientific Dielectric 99% of the time in my ED80 and in my 127 Mak the Takahashi gets used 100% of the time. Pic of the Takahashi below is it sitting in my ED80.

IMG_0974.jpeg

IMG_3034.jpeg

• Like 1

In order of favouritism:

Takahashi 1.25" prism diagonal. 

Baader Zeiss BBHS 1.25" prism diagonal with 1.25" micro focuser and 2" nose attachment. 

2" Televue mirror diagonal. 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1