NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aaaargggghhh !

markse68

Aargh!! 😞

Our idiot neighbouring company just fitted this insecurity light which considerately points straight down onto the decking where i used to set up my imaging scope. It’s literally like daylight now.  Could probably get a tan…It was bad enough before with the one top left mounted to the roof of our building but now there’s no point in even trying :( (arrow points to where i used to put my scope so i could see Polaris for polar aligning)

456BCFFC-7115-447D-92D9-475B6BA43655.jpeg

Was looking forward to adding more data to my M33- just got the scope running quite nicely and feeling quite happy with it's performance- you can see what the LP was doing before- but now? 

Aargh!! :(

1790079877_M33comboIIprestretchstretch-green.thumb.png.3d84f413d7296b5b69da2beb429d89c3.png

Sorry just venting but sooo annoying

Mark

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

Just now, scotty38 said:

I get what you're saying but where is your own light shining?

It’s not our own- we don’t own the building and they refuse to turn it off- it’s needed for cctv cameras. It at least left a bit of sky that was “useable” but now it’s impossible. 

It’s the end of my playing with imaging for now i think. It was convenient but  never ideal. We have to move sometime this year as the site is to become expensive apartments (riverside location) (2nd time grrr) The new place we’re looking at is huge and i jokingly asked if i could put an observatory on the roof. They didn’t say no 😳😃

Mark

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, markse68 said:

It’s not our own- we don’t own the building and they refuse to turn it off- it’s needed for cctv cameras. It at least left a bit of sky that was “useable” but now it’s impossible. 

It’s the end of my playing with imaging for now i think. It was convenient but  never ideal. We have to move sometime this year as the site is to become expensive apartments (riverside location) (2nd time grrr) The new place we’re looking at is huge and i jokingly asked if i could put an observatory on the roof. They didn’t say no 😳😃

Mark

Ah well, at least you had plans to move anyway, so it's irritating but at least only a temporary problem. 

• Like 1

My God, how many of these threads with similar instances have we seen over the past few months, its terrible.
I know this is a bit different but we have a pretty big garden and I find a 20W LED light that just comes on with a PIR plenty for safety purposes without making my house stand out like a sore thumb to burglars, it does fine.
Obviously I turn it off when imaging and would do for anybody doing the same, so why on domestic properties some people make them like Elland Road on a night match I have no idea. Looks like the more dark skies message is not getting through to non astronomers 😞 

Mark I hope you find another property soon with some better imaging prospects.

Steve

• Thanks 1

On 22/01/2022 at 09:04, Mr Spock said:

As the light is shining into your property it's called light trespass. You can find out more here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/artificial-light-nuisances-how-councils-deal-with-complaints

The clause that worries me on that page is:

"how it’s likely to affect the average person (unusual sensitivities aren’t included)"

Is a hobbyist astronomer complaining about a domestic security light classed as having, 'unusual sensitivities'? 🙄

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The clause that worries me on that page is:

"how it’s likely to affect the average person (unusual sensitivities aren’t included)"

Is a hobbyist astronomer complaining about a domestic security light classed as having, 'unusual sensitivities'? 🙄

I think unusual sensitivities relates to medical issues.

Hobbies are enjoyment of the property which light trespass intrudes upon.

Astronomy is not an 'unusual sensitivity' or unusual activity.
Sky At night has enjoyed a regular (albeit monthly) TV show from 1957.
There are numerous TV programmes covering astronomy subjects. Many recently by Prof BC.

Definitely qualifies as light trespass - in my view anyway.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue (but not as extreme) with two strong lights permanently shining across several gardens from a sheltered block.  The Council told me to keep a log, then said it did not merit any action, and they needed complaints from other neighbours.  The Council and I did contact the block's management, and they acted on the complaint.  Took 15 months mind you!

Doug.

I have some good news. It's a commercial site so not much I could do except ask nicely but I spoke to the site manager and he has given me permission to put my scope up on the roof! A lot more hassle in terms of setting up/taking down being as its 3 floors up with no lift, but it should be worth it as I'll be above all the local LP sources and I'll have a 360 horizon rather than the thin sliver of western sky I have now so I'll have more targets too. There's a mains outlet in a lockable room up there where I can also store the mount etc so I'll only be carrying the scope, cameras and laptop up and down. Could work out to be a great improvement on what I had :) 

Mark

• Like 13

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

I have some good news. It's a commercial site so not much I could do except ask nicely but I spoke to the site manager and he has given me permission to put my scope up on the roof! A lot more hassle in terms of setting up/taking down being as its 3 floors up with no lift, but it should be worth it as I'll be above all the local LP sources and I'll have a 360 horizon rather than the thin sliver of western sky I have now so I'll have more targets too. There's a mains outlet in a lockable room up there where I can also store the mount etc so I'll only be carrying the scope, cameras and laptop up and down. Could work out to be a great improvement on what I had :) 

Mark

Glad things have worked out well for you 👍

• Like 1