NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

JAN 13TH - 'THE BEAST', ASTROPHYSICS STARFIRE 155MM F9 EDT REFRACTOR

I stayed with my friend Chris (Bradley 1953), who I have known for over fifty years, last Thursday and Friday night. On Thursday we observed the Moon, not for the first time, with Chris's Starfire 155mm f9 EDT refractor - a telescope he has owned since July 2014.

The seeing was probably as good as I've ever had, and the sort of night you might get only every few years.  Perhaps a handful of times in over fifty years of observing in my case.

The highlights were the areas of Sinus Iridum and Gassendi.  When I first looked at Gassendi (observing with an 8mm TeleVue Ploss, x174) the view literally took my breath away, I was shocked. The sharpness and stillness of the night made it look like an etching, an unmoving image of incredible detail. The contrast was just beautiful and the overall 'look' of the image was such as I have never seen before.  I haven't the words to describe the quality of the image.  It was the same for the Sinus Iridum area - and other features we looked at.  As I write this, I'm feeling the same excitement as when I was observing.

I have used other six inch refractors and bigger, but nothing like this.  Though, I may well not have used them in conditions as had with the EDT. But still, I've not seen such images before. A thrilling o servation that will stay with me.  Not bad for a refractor that was made in1993 0r 1994!

I've added two crops of the exact libration details at the time of the observation.  They were obtained using the NASA SVS Moon Phase and Libration 2022 software.  Though they may show some detail I couldn't see visually, it's hard to say as I didn't have the images to compare when observing - but certainly the detail in Gassendi was similiar.  Visually, the view was sharper and so was the 'quality' of the image, the colour being a very pale khaki(?).  Whatever the case, the visual image was MUCH superior to the software images.  Having a quality beyond my descriptive powers and beyond any photographic or electronic image that could be obtained.

Below are a phone snap of Chris at the eyepiece, and also an image from Astrophysic's own literature.  The scope has the same mount we were  using - steady as a rock as we pushed it along to follow the Moon.

Thank you Chris, another one for the archives.

PS 'The Beast' was named from what Chris's partner's reaction was when she first set eyes on it!

20220113_192024.thumb.jpg.c48a6235b63f2f9f0658969329296ef0.jpg

1752608834_GassendiB.jpg.96903d030f5cdac1a1aa172148127dab.jpg

20220116_132144.jpg.30f55a48cfed5773f2dc9c4116078dde.jpg

20220116_184238.thumb.jpg.85587e94b8f46f3334db4080d7f323ab.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Awesome scope… thanks for sharing 😀

Interesting commentary in the advert about the (presumably new) usage of Fluorite in refractors… presumably Takahashi, or were others using it too 🤔

Although I actually have the space for a scope like this, it would have to be permanently installed, otherwise it would be a struggle to setup every night 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Interesting commentary in the advert about the (presumably new) usage of Fluorite in refractors… presumably Takahashi, or were others using it too 🤔

Although I actually have the space for a scope like this, it would have to be permanently installed, otherwise it would be a struggle to setup every night 🤣

Thank you.  Regarding setting the scope up, Chris does set it up every night he uses it.  The mount and pier are left outdoors with a cover over it and the ota is then taken out of the box and carried outside.  I think the acope is around 20 lbs, not too bad for a bit of a'beast', but not good if you have any mobility issues.

So there you are, no excuses for not buying one 🤣.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulastro said:

Thank you.  Regarding setting the scope up, Chris does set it up every night he uses it.  The mount and pier are left outdoors with a cover over it and the ota is then taken out of the box and carried outside.  I think the acope is around 20 lbs, not too bad for a bit of a'beast', but not good if you have any mobility issues.

So there you are, no excuses for not buying one 🤣.

20 lbs is really quite reasonable for a 155mm triplet refractor. My 130mm F/9.2 triplet weighs that much.

Still have to be careful mounting and dis-mounting such scopes though - don't want any accidents to observer or scope of course !

Edited by John
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Takahashi have been selling fluorite refractors since 1977 I think, and the FC-series was launched in 1981 but they were a lot more expensive than they are now adjusting for inflation. I notice the ad talks about the delicate nature of fluorite and its vulnerability to acids - it's actually much more acid resistant than typical ED glass and it's alkalis that you need to avoid when cleaning fluorite lenses.

It's funny to think that Astro-Physics scopes started out as an inexpensive alternative to more established brands, but over the years they've gone up in price (relatively speaking) while the competition has got cheaper. No surprise really when their reputation is so good and demand for their scopes means that even at today's prices demand far outstrips supply.

Edited by Andrew_B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1