Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from newbie in East Devon near Honiton

Si Ricketts

Evening everyone. I'm new to astronomy although I've been intending to dip my toe in since childhood. After a bit of reading and plenty of YouTube I've decided to take the plunge and did the wrong thing… and came home yesterday in possession of a tatty Tal 2 Newtonian  with a non working motor, poor cosmetics and goodness knows what other issues. Got the manual out, bolted it together and after some trial and error spent the late evening looking at the moon, then got a good view, in my very limited opinion, of Jupiter and 3 of its moons and then a pink fuzz of Saturn just above the horizon. Obviously loads of stuff to check, clean and adjust and I'm looking forward to the challenge. Also I'll be looking to join the Norman Lockyear Astronomy Society at Sidmouth later this month, so would be good to hear from anyone on here who already belongs. Bye for now. Si. 

• Like 1

Hi Si, welcome to SGL. I live near Kentisbeare, so pretty close to Honiton. I've been a past member of the Norman Lockyer Observatory, it's a great place to meet people and learn. Like you I started off with visual kit but soon moved across to deep-sky imaging and have been doing this for the last 10 years. You'll enjoy the hobby, although as you'll find the frequent lack of good clear nights can be mighty frustrating! 

Martin

Welcome aboard Si. I’m not too far away in Crewkerne having moved down from Surrey recently.

I’m sure you will enjoy your scope, your skies should be pretty good so seeing deep sky objects should be quite possible.