NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

I've caught the end of Io's shadow transit. Rather poor seeing here though and very blustery despite the clear sky. Funny how it varies around the country. Wind chill a real factor this evening. 

I'll leave the scope out but might not feel that tempted to join it for long 😬

• Like 4

Been out watching the Io transit. I joined it as the moon was on the limb appearing as a small lump, and it's shadow in the middle of the SEB. Quite nicely defined in the 12" Dob at 150 - 214x although the gusting wind bounced things around a bit. Very cold...in for tea and a warm up 😀

• Like 9

Just had a quick look at Jupiter in the Mak before tea.

Io was departing the Jovian disc, and managed to see the shadow in the SEB.  Conditions are so-so here, and the Mak hasn't had time to cool properly yet. Best view in Morpheus 9mm, so about x167.  Any more and it starts to get mushy.

Hope to continue for a bit after tea.  CO changed its mind at the last minute, from "100% cloudy all evening" to "clear until 19.00".

• Like 9

The excellent seeing from early evening during the Io transit has continued I am glad to say, but not improved greatly.  It is however good enough to win a beautiful split of both Orionis 52 and 32, both difficult unless the seeing obliges. After so long without observing it is just a treat to visit old friends even if I have done so a thousand times before. The air is cold and crisp and the sky transparency is pretty good. As soon as Orion clears the big Silver Birch I will have a crack at the Trapezium and I am confident that it will yield the E&F stars tonight.  My Dob has been out cooling for four hours so far, waiting for a good Messier hunt later, even though my 6" refractor picked out M33 again, albeit with averted vision.

After the Jupiter transit I had a look at Neptune a lovely pale blue orb, and Uranus appearing just greyish tonight although  it presented a very sharp disc, which surprised me a bit.  I left Saturn too late unfortunately.  I could see it but only through the twigs and sticks of my wife's Mimosa tree, which also gets in the way sometimes.  My complaint and request for the secateurs when I went in for supper, was met with silence...so I didn't pursue it.....🤐

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

For various reasons, I've not done much observing since last January, so there was no way I was going to squander the opportunity to get out this evening, even if it is rather cool with the windchill.

I just about caught Io separating from Jupiter. Its shadow was nice and clear (when the wind wasn't playing havoc with the Dob). Took a look at Uranus, which was really easy to find, being about half way between Pleiades and Jupiter. Spent quite a while trying to track down NGC 1535 in Eridanus, but got there in the end. Did a few of my easier favourites as well.

I'm so glad I bothered to get out. It was freezing, but very satisfying.

• Like 15

The seeing here is still poor so that plus the blustery wind and the chill have persuaded me to pack the scope in. No point in doing it if it's not enjoyable 🙄

It's good to see that some folks are having better conditions and some good observing though 🙂

• Like 9

Had to take my daughter to ice skating in Basingstoke tonight & picked up the Canon IS 10x42s as I left as an afterthought. Drove a few miles out of town after dropping off and enjoyed a short, very cold but stunning binocular session.  Seeing and transparency excellent and I reckon a good Bortle 4 if not a bit darker. 

Spectacular views through Orion, best I’ve seen in Binoculars with real form to the nebula and a myriad of silver stars weaving through the belt region.  Hyades, Pleiades, Alpha Persei, Double Cluster, Kemble’s Cascade all very rich views on an inky background. 
Swept through glittering Auriga with M36/37/38 very apparent.  Likewise M35. 
Gawped at NGC things in Cassiopeia that I need to go and look up. 

Highlight though was a great view of M31 - the most extent I’ve seen in Bin’s and I could swear some texture in AV. 

So glad I picked up the binoculars but my goodness that wind is numbing. 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 17

Just called it a night here, after a second spell, they've not been the friendliest of conditions. Very cold, of course, and there were some strong gusts that troubled even the short Mak. The seeing was poor (IV out of V), which was the main limitation. It was much better to the East of us, judging by the reports above.  Anyway, tighter doubles were out of the question, but Mesarthim, Zeta Piscium and 35 Piscium all looked good at lower mags in the Svbony SV135 zoom, and OCs M35, M36 and M37 were decent in wider EPs.
Mid-level clouds started appearing at around 8, coming and going, but eventually covering most of the sky.

One first from this evening (and I don't know why not before now) was that I saw a couple of the open clusters in Auriga, naked eye. Not sure which.

• Like 17

I went back out until just before 9 but that cold wind bouncing the scope around, and the seeing deteriorating from earlier... 

Had another look at Jupiter but nowhere near as clear as earlier, did a quick tour of Orion, Rigel B, Sigma Orionis showing 4 stars, Trapezium E & F faint but visible when the wind dropped and M42 showing some detail.

Back in now warming up with a medicinal one🥃.

• Like 12

The wind has been gradually increasing so didn't use the Dob just remained in the obsy. Apart from the four planets, eight double stars, and 12 Messiers, five hours of delight and that will do....:happy72:

• Like 10

Just come in for ten minutes to warm my feet before I go out again. Had a nice session for ninety minutes  - thought I’d keep things simple with the 102ED but then I ruined it by being over ambitious trying (and failing) to find some tough targets,  so I went back to low power cruising some open clusters in Orion and surroundings - much more enjoyable! Right, back out for a final look before bed. 🙂

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Headed out to my local dark site for the first time in months. Car loaded with more astro kit than @FLO would take to an astro show. Fingers crossed for good transparency!

The skies didn’t disappoint, though not perhaps the best I’ve seen from this site. Got to see the Horsehead through a friend’s 20” dob and then managed it in my own 10” dob. Orion through a HB filter was stunning.  Comet 62P through my Tak rounded off the night. Will endeavour to write a full report tomorrow. Thoroughly enjoyed getting out under some proper dark skies with friends. 

• Like 11

Another dismal night trying to image Jupiter with the 10” dob. Not a chance, the wind was gusting badly bouncing Jupiter clean off my screen. My dodgy electric focuser packed in again so I removed it on site. Swapped the camera for the eyepiece and caught my first M42 since its reappearance in the sky. I removed the dew shield to try and help with the wind but it was still pretty bad. I actually prefer M42 with a UHC filter so that was next. Finished off with a sweep over Auriga and Gemini, also M45, Hyades. Now frozen to the bone and headed back inside.

• Like 8

Was a good night, clear cold skies out from 18:00 till 02:00, more imaging with my new seestar s50 and visual observations with my 200P EQ5. images included andromeda, rosetta nebula, M82, pacman nebula, jellyfish nebula, visual was jupiter, neptune, M42, multiple star clusters around Cassiopeia amongst other things

20240109_174521.jpg

Edited by PaulM
  • Like 11

19 hours ago, bosun21 said:

The Starsense app works on two of my Android phones one of which is the Pixel 6 pro the other a cheaper Blackview which I bought solely for the Starsense app. It also works on my iPhone though I never use it for that as it's my main phone for everything else.

Weird that the pixel 6 pro works.  I've had 2 pixel 6 normal edition and neither has been able to figure out where it is pointing.  I'm bortle 4 and the garden has no over looking lights.

My old honor 20 works okay, but can struggle after a while and isn't as reliable as the iPhone.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ratlet said:

Weird that the pixel 6 pro works.  I've had 2 pixel 6 normal edition and neither has been able to figure out where it is pointing.  I'm bortle 4 and the garden has no over looking lights.

My old honor 20 works okay, but can struggle after a while and isn't as reliable as the iPhone.  

That's strange. As long as you have a phone working with the app that's the main thing. In saying that I have found my cheap Blackview to be more accurate with the Starsense app which is also strange.

I saw a 100% clear sky for the first time since the 30th November-23! Whoohoo, what a pleasure to be back outside even though conditions in the SE were arctic.

I was out too late for exciting Jupiter events but took the opportunity to have a look through a bit of new kit received since the last session - a Pentax 10mm XW and a 2.6 GPC for my binoviewer.

The new exit pupil afforded by the 10mm EP (1.9mm) didn't miraculously bring me NGC 604 in M33 as i had secretly hoped so i'm writing this target off as a non-runner with 85mm of aperture now (at least in my home skies). More productively this exit pupil was excellent for M33 itself. No detail but relatively light grey bright and quite extensive - easy to find and return to after sweeping about. I think i will get on with this exit pupil and this EP for lots of targets. The XW  itself was pleasingly tight to the edge and well behaved in that regard but i struggled a little bit with kidney beaning so i need to have a look at how to cut that out - maybe with some kind of extension to the eye guard - not sure yet... 

The new 2.6 GPC enables (with this scope and with a pair of 18mm Tak abbe orthos) a x65 2-eyed view when used alone and a x130 binoview in combo with a 2x Powermate ahead of the set-up.

• x130 with two eyes was fabulous on Jupiter - i didn't linger due to the cold and a bit of a scope flutter in the breeze but this is going to be a great set-up for appreciating Jupiter.
  • x65 with two eyes was fabulous on M42 and it's companions. M42 was extensive, sharply defined and really nicely graduated within itself. The stars of the Trapezium where tiny and sharp (no E & F though and neither at a higher mono view magnification). The 18mm TAO really seems somehow special in its presentation of tiny stars and the characteristic seems to be associated with the EP because it is true regardless of what kit combo and magnification the EP is generating - it never disappoints. 

Conditions really were arctic and fearing frostbite activities were curtailed after 2.5hrs. Boo.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, PaulM said:

Was a good night, clear cold skies out from 18:00 till 02:00, more imaging with my new seestar s50 and visual observations with my 200P EQ5. images included andromeda, rosetta nebula, M82, pacman nebula, jellyfish nebula, visual was jupiter, neptune, M42, multiple star clusters around Cassiopeia amongst other things

20240109_174521.jpg

Lovely session by the sound of it. If you ever have the time, it would be great to see a ‘hybrid’ observing report with both your visual descriptions with the 200P and some Seestar images. Perhaps an SGL first! 🙂

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Lovely session by the sound of it. If you ever have the time, it would be great to see a ‘hybrid’ observing report with both your visual descriptions with the 200P and some Seestar images. Perhaps an SGL first! 🙂

good idea ! best session observing the sky I have ever had, still buzzing now

• Like 2

The sky is clear and good again, Pickering 6 I think, so off to a flyer with Saturn, catching it early, unlike last night, clear through the twigs of the Mimosa tree, she blossomed (:icon_puke_r: )

I could only pick out Titan in the twilight.

Jupiter, similar time and plenty of detail as last night. 

Albireo, a lovely  split with superb colours  and the pretty little cluster M29.  Epsilon Lyrae sharp and clean at 85x, now low in the west and only just clear of yet another tree !

Using just the 6" at the moment but with my Vixen mounted as well, and aligned, I shall spend more time with Foxy this evening.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 10

Last night was the first properly clear night I've had since the AZ-EQ5 and Explorer 200 arrived and it was worth the wait. I set up for EAA with the 72mm refractor alongside the 8" Newtonian, initially fitted with a x2.4 Barlow as I've been determined to get a good look at Jupiter. The clear night and lack of Moon made all the difference I think. Plus I'd just taken delivery of a 10m active USB 3.0 cable which meant I could sit further away from the slightly ajar patio door, and keep warn.

I started on Jupiter and seem to have finally figured out the right camera settings (gain at the LCG / HCG switching point and a 10+ms exposure). With the camera settings sorted out, SharpCap's new planetary live stacking tool gave me a great view of the planet ...

JupiterVisible28msx210D09_01_2024T19_07_17.png.36bdb09fe25e0ecec9baa0ab5b3c2e54.png

Just a pity he GRS wasn't on display.

With galaxy season upon us I had a look at some smaller examples, NGC470, NGC520, NGC488, M74, NGC1055, M77, all of which were showing some form even though they are small and faint. The Explorer 200 seems to make quite a difference with this sort of object, even compared with the Explorer 150 which was my biggest scope prior to the mount upgrade.

M1 was looking spectacular, the best I've seen it ...

M1Visible15.0sx40021framesD09_01_2024T21_20_55.thumb.png.1956d46528f525ebcf6acdeb88109eca.png

but then some thin cloud rolled in. I know when this is happening as the sky starts to look noisy and I start thinking I'm doing something wrong.

The highlight of the session was observing Vesta. To be fair, I didn't realise I had seen it until I reviewed the snapshots this afternoon. The solar system data in Stellarium had been out of date and so I was looking in the wrong place, but in the cold light of day Vesta was obviously the big bright "star" that wasn't listed in Stellarium!

VestaClear15.0sx40027framesD09_01_2024T21_38_39.thumb.png.9b49fb2981cc214fd83d3d125575b4f8.png

• Like 11

I was up at 4.15AM as my partner had an interview several hours away this morning and apparently I'm a nice guy that made tea and coffee to take with her.  Then the dog kept me up because she's a dog and doesn't understand that it's too early.

I work full-time from home so decided that I'd go to my office at around 7.15AM (where I keep my scope) and have a look at Venus.  Absolutely lovely.

Managed to get a DIY 2" 50mm eyepiece (made from old binoculars - the Red Henry type) made up after work and have just been out to give it a spin.  Wonderful widefield views of the Pleiades!  I'm really pleased with it, despite its incredibly crude appearance it's actually a decent performer.  The deity status must be subsiding as we've now had two clear nights in a row.  I'll try and go out again a bit later if I don't fall asleep in my chair...

• Like 11

Moving on from Jupiter for a break, I had a look at Gamma Ceti below and West of the gas giant.  I don't recall looking at this before.  A very neat pair with  a separation of about 1.9" really lovely split at  167x, and then just below that M77. I am using my little Carton Zoom tonight and backed off to 21mm and 55x,  the Galaxy's core showed quite brightly which was pleasing as I am not up for swapping eyepieces about tonight, and didn't wish to put the 2" 30mm in the focuser. There are several Galaxies in the same location but tonight's transparency is not as good as last night so it will be for another time.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 10