SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Really struggling to find new Telescopes to buy online ??

wesdon1

Hi all! Has anyone got any idea if it's worth me risking buying second hand Telescopes/mounts, because up to now, i can't find a dealer in UK who has large aperture Telescopes to sell me ?? I'm looking at spending around £3'500. It's a last minute decision to spend a lot of hard earned money now, rather than waiting until next year like i originally planned. But stores don't have anything bigger than 8 inch SCT Telescopes ?? I could buy used equipment, but I'm so afraid of spending £thousands on a used Telescope because there's no guarantee the optics will be immaculate, and this matters to me greatly! I also love visual astronomy, that's why i want atleast 9.25inch's of aperture. Thanks for any tips! Wes.

12 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

image.png.26ca268af666e478affc89ca0dc10ad3.png

Could be worth asking @FLO if above outlined data is correct.

Would C11 XLT suit your needs?

My goodness I completely forgot to ask FLO, yet i have asked most other retailers in UK ?? Such a dope i can be sometimes!!?? LOL. Thanks for the tip my friend! I'll let you know how i get on! Wes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My goodness that thing looks incredible!! Definitely something i'll check out thanks!! I've just emailed FLO asking them what's currently available at 8 inches and above. Gonna click this link now and read up about this beast! Thank You for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it! I'll update you on how i get on and what i eventually buy. Thanks! Wes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Can you suggest a bank to rob first? 😁😁😁

Hahah this monster DEFINITELY needs a bank robbery to afford it!!?? Just shy of £610'000 !!! My goodness i need a new career!!! Haha!! ( ASA EQ1000 1M Ritchey Chretien F6.76 Telescope & Mount System ) https://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGASAEQ1000

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wesdon1 said:

Hi all! Has anyone got any idea if it's worth me risking buying second hand Telescopes/mounts, because up to now, i can't find a dealer in UK who has large aperture Telescopes to sell me ?? I'm looking at spending around £3'500. It's a last minute decision to spend a lot of hard earned money now, rather than waiting until next year like i originally planned. But stores don't have anything bigger than 8 inch SCT Telescopes ?? I could buy used equipment, but I'm so afraid of spending £thousands on a used Telescope because there's no guarantee the optics will be immaculate, and this matters to me greatly! I also love visual astronomy, that's why i want atleast 9.25inch's of aperture. Thanks for any tips! Wes.

You get some great deals buying second hand - most astronomers look after their kit so it can be a good option.

I would not stress too much about immaculate optics as all scopes become less than perfect eventually.

Newtonians can be easily cleaned and recollimated, SCT’s need accurate reassembly and collimation after cleaning. Refractors don’t need disassembly for cleaning so no need for recollimation.

Remember that the bigger the scope the more thermal management will be needed and they will be more affected by seeing conditions.

Apologies if you know all this 🙂

You have a good budget 👍

PS - I know it’s not an SCT but this 6” ED refractor is in stock 😈……

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/sky-watcher-150ed-ds-pro-eq6-r-pro.html

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dweller25 said:

You get some great deals buying second hand - most astronomers look after their kit so it can be a good option.

I would not stress too much about immaculate optics as all scopes become less than perfect eventually.

Newtonians can be easily cleaned and recollimated, SCT’s need accurate reassembly and collimation after cleaning. Refractors don’t need disassembly for cleaning so no need for recollimation.

Remember that the bigger the scope the more thermal management will be needed and they will be more affected by seeing conditions.

Apologies if you know all this 🙂

You have a good budget 👍

PS - I know it’s not an SCT but this 6” ED refractor is in stock 😈……

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/sky-watcher-150ed-ds-pro-eq6-r-pro.html

Hey David! Thank You so much for taking the time to help me out with my dilemma! Tbh I never considered a Refractor due to the relatively high cost per inch of aperture, especially for Apo's, but now you you shown me this 150 Apo with the EQ6-R Pro, and it's in stock, and wayyy cheaper than i would have thought, I'm genuinely tempted to buy!! Yes it's not the large aperture I have been kinda obsessed with, but we all know Apo Refractor's give incredible views for their relative size/aperture! Thanks again David, I will make my decision and update you n others who contributed to the thread! Kindest Regards, Wes.

Yes buying second hand can be a great deal although stick to places like SGLs sale section if you can where it is much safer and equipment is usually very well cared for.👍🏻

I use a Tecnosky 125 APO and a CC 8” among other scopes.

1AFC14DE-B61D-4863-99DB-85218DD8F6D3.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

So! I finally made up my mind after struggling to find stock! I have found a Celestron 9.25 SCT mounted on an AVX Mount! Also ordered a Lorry load of EP's, Camera's, Filters, Adaptors, for Pete's sake I even ordered a new Laptop to control the damn thing!!?? Haha!! My goodness I have been greedy!! Haha!! Thanks again to all who contributed/helped! I will obviously post my Astro pics in the coming weeks and months! Wes.

Edited by wesdon1
I had used a swear word by mistake! So Sorry!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 31/10/2021 at 06:58, johninderby said:

Yes buying second hand can be a great deal although stick to places like SGLs sale section if you can where it is much safer and equipment is usually very well cared for.👍🏻

I use a Tecnosky 125 APO and a CC 8” among other scopes.

1AFC14DE-B61D-4863-99DB-85218DD8F6D3.jpeg

My goodness what a beautiful setup you have there my friend!! That mount is a work of Art!! 

So, little update! I ended up getting a SW 200P mounted on a SW HEQ5 Mount, because the Celestron 9.25 wasn't in stock, despite me paying for it believing it was!!?? lol. Anyway, still happy with all my new gear! I also got ZWO 120MC USB3.0 and ZWO 120MM for guiding, and possible mono imaging with my filters. I also bought various EP's, and many other accessories. All in I've spent almost £5'000 during the last couple of weeks! OUCH!! I managed to do a quick visual test with 'scope last night viewing Jupiter, before clouds rolled in as usual! lol. The seeing was bad, but still very pleasing views! I'm now very eager to start imaging some targets! I'll update the forum with images as i produce them! 

SW 200P Newtonian Reflector. SW 130 Newt. Reflector. SW 114 Newt. Reflector. Various EP's. Ha/Sii/Oiii Filters. SW HEQ5 PRO Mount. 

ZWO 120MC Camera. ZWO120MM Camera. Many other accessories, too many to list.

• Like 2

£3500 budget doesn’t go too far in this hobby , I’ve mainly bought used equipment and to be fair I’ve never had a problem so far, astronomers tend to look after their kit and some good bargains can  be had , sometimes you need patience and self control to wait for the right item 😆.

• Thanks 1

On 30/10/2021 at 14:01, johninderby said:

Can you suggest a bank to rob first? 😁😁😁

Bertolt Brecht said once: " It is a bigger crime to establish a bank than to rob it" ..I wonder was he in the hobby as well 😊😊

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2