NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ-AZ mount, worth the extra?

PhilPassmore

Looking to upgrade my EQ5 goto mount, to an EQ 6 variant, and am wondering if having the combined AZ/EQ is worth the price premium? I really enjoy visual observing, but also quite like the challenge of astrophotography. Thoughts anyyone. 

Ditto. I’ve never used my AZ-EQ6 in AZ mode for visual either. EQ mode is fine. My upgrade to the AZ-EQ6 was really worthwhile from an old EQ5 with no goto or guiding.  Whether it would be so worthwhile from a decent EQ5 with goto and guiding depends I suppose on what telescope you plan to put on it. I like the stability and overall design of the AZ-EQ6.  It’s a heavy beast though at 18kg. I wish I had mine on a permanent pier. 

I’m in exactly the opposite situation as the first two posters, I never used my AZEQ6 in EQ mode. I’m purely a visual observer so find AltAz much more convenient as it keeps the eyepiece in the same orientation as you know.

I assume you would either be imaging or observing in any one session? You may find if doing a lot of AP then you end up leaving it on EQ mode so as to keep your PA reasonably accurate and only requiring tweaks.

In my experience it is a very capable mount, far more so than the AZEQ5, and it carried some fairly crazy kids when I was observing with mine. This was a C8 Edge and a 150mm f9 apo doublet weighing 20kg! Must have been the hot summer, looking at the grass. 2015.

FDDA56D3-A5BE-4EDE-A558-10E588782007.jpeg

30E4738D-B966-450F-B92B-FE2F61184E53.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought my AZEQ6 6 years ago and it's been a wonderful mount. I've never used the AZ feature. If I were buying again I'd look carefully at the EQ6R which can handle a couple of kilogrammes more. 

The extra saddle on the AZEQ6 gives you the option of hanging a short (ish) focal length camera as part of the counterweights for guided widefield shots while your main instrument is doing the business. Works well up to 3-400 mm focal length guiding on the main instrument. 

I have the AZ EQ6 mounted on a dolly with 6 " wheels to get to any part of my garden.

Havnt used it in EQ mode but will this winter with my 130pds and Dslr. 

It handles my 10" Newt very well in AZ mode for visual and its a fantastic mount. 

I will keep it till either it or I die. 

Well worth the extra fot the flexibility it gives. 

Clear Skies

I've used mine in both modes. I originally wanted an EQ6-R but there were none in stock so bought the one remaining AZ and have had zero regrets. As it happens the visual side is not working out for me but that's no fault of the mount, it's a great piece of kit.

I'd say its worth the extra. 

I got one second hand and it's a very strong unit. Largest capacity alt az I could find without going for the Rowan Az100.

The latitude adjustment on the eq mode is easy, and the option for two scopes is just great.

There isn't a handle, and it's a difficult-to-hold shape and weight. I think that's the trade off

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I’m in exactly the opposite situation as the first two posters, I never used my AZEQ6 in EQ mode. I’m purely a visual observer so find AltAz much more convenient as it keeps the eyepiece in the same orientation as you know.

I assume you would either be imaging or observing in any one session? You may find if doing a lot of AP then you end up leaving it on EQ mode so as to keep your PA reasonably accurate and only requiring tweaks.

In my experience it is a very capable mount, far more so than the AZEQ5, and it carried some fairly crazy kids when I was observing with mine. This was a C8 Edge and a 150mm f9 apo doublet weighing 20kg! Must have been the hot summer, looking at the grass. 2015.

It looks so dinky with those 2 scopes on either end!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

What's the mounting hardware underneath the C8? Is that how ensure both scopes point same direction?

8 minutes ago, Richard136 said:

There isn't a handle, and it's a difficult-to-hold shape and weight. I think that's the trade off

Agreed, it’s a heavy mount, particularly with the CW on and not so easy to carry.

5 minutes ago, Richard136 said:

What's the mounting hardware underneath the C8? Is that how ensure both scopes point same direction?

It’s a Skywatcher Guidescope Mount which allowed me to align the scopes accurately. Worked quite well.

• Thanks 1

I too am in the camp of never having used it in AZ mode.  At the time of me buying it I don't think there was such a hefty price difference between it and the EQ only one so I thought it was worth the little extra.  

If I was buying now I would probably put extra money towards a separate AZ mount if I really needed one because changing between the two modes is too much of a faff at short notice.  

2 hours ago, scitmon said:

I too am in the camp of never having used it in AZ mode.  At the time of me buying it I don't think there was such a hefty price difference between it and the EQ only one so I thought it was worth the little extra.  

If I was buying now I would probably put extra money towards a separate AZ mount if I really needed one because changing between the two modes is too much of a faff at short notice.  

Seperate mounts is one solution. The problem for me was getting an AZ that would handle a big Newt. So for me a good tracking mount for visual   is limited..... 

Mine is set up with Starsense and on the dolly it can be in use in 6 mins from exiting the garage. 

Transforming to EQ takes 5 mins even having to dismount a big Newt. 

Polar aligning mmmm

Havnt done that yet but unless your permanently mounted you would have to do that anyway. 

Horses for courses I guess. 

Clear Skies

• 1 month later...

Just ordered an AZ-EQ6GT which will be arriving within the next, well who knows when new stock arrives? I will be using it for both visual and imaging so probably will be using both modes, but looks like both modes work well with users of both/either here.

One question for owners would be how much of a workout is the mount to assemble and carry really? I would be setting up and tearing down every time so it is a bit of a concern for me. Not that it matters since its already on its way but would be interested to hear from owners anyway. I reckon i will try to to put it in some sort of bag to carry it around rather than hug it to and from but it might be too heavy for that.

On 22/10/2021 at 10:15, Stu said:

This looks like way too much telescope for the mount but if it works i reckon it will eat my 8 inch newtonian for breakfast 😅.

I can carry the mount and tripod minus CW fairly easily, it’s the shape more than the weight but then I don’t need to carry it far, 5 to 10m at most but I do negotiate a step or two and a doorway.  I will also carry it with GT81 with all imaging bits too but obviously I’m a bit more careful with it. 

I have just invested in a Telegizmo so I can leave it set up if the weather looks favourable. That’s primarily for speed of getting going though. 

Edited by scotty38

I have an AZ-EQ6, am also AZ-only, and like Stu's mine has carried some slightly crazy loads, without ever giving me problems. The SW blue-tube 300p newt shown came in at 27kgs! I would suggest that the tripod makes a difference too, I fairly quickly got myself a Berlebach Planet.

69279221-665E-494F-B280-CD28027DFFA1.thumb.jpeg.e7f55c8700f0a4db511d91922bd1888a.jpeg
C98EF4D8-260A-4BE6-B3E4-3EBA683E96C9.thumb.jpeg.773396dfb94ab7cc66735e3d923b74d7.jpeg

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

I have an AZ-EQ6, am also AZ-only, and like Stu's mine has carried some slightly crazy loads, without ever giving me problems. The SW blue-tube 300p newt shown came in at 27kgs! I would suggest that the tripod makes a difference too, I fairly quickly got myself a Berlebach Planet.

69279221-665E-494F-B280-CD28027DFFA1.thumb.jpeg.e7f55c8700f0a4db511d91922bd1888a.jpeg
C98EF4D8-260A-4BE6-B3E4-3EBA683E96C9.thumb.jpeg.773396dfb94ab7cc66735e3d923b74d7.jpeg

That thing really makes the mount look small 😅

• Like 1