Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This could be the nicest random thing a stranger has ever done for me.

HiveIndustries

I bought a used Meade 12" Lightbridge from a local shop for $700 and figured I got a steal in this market, but when I got home and put an EP on it, the stock single speed focuser dropped and was fubar. I brought it back to the shop and he was I can only guess a combination embarassed for selling me something like that and wanted to do something nice for a newb who was really excited about astronomy. Well, I picked it up and this was on it, free of charge, which, correct me if I'm wrong but costs more than half of what I paid for the entire dob!

image.png.8668e3d549342386694fb86b4c0a6e2b.png

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, HiveIndustries said:

I bought a used Meade 12" Lightbridge from a local shop for $700 and figured I got a steal in this market, but when I got home and put an EP on it, the stock single speed focuser dropped and was fubar. I brought it back to the shop and he was I can only guess a combination embarassed for selling me something like that and wanted to do something nice for a newb who was really excited about astronomy. Well, I picked it up and this was on it, free of charge, which, correct me if I'm wrong but costs more than half of what I paid for the entire dob!

image.png.8668e3d549342386694fb86b4c0a6e2b.png

Great service. 

Can anyone help me ID it? I knew I was looking at a quality focuser and didn't ask too many "gift horse in the mouth" kind of questions, it looks like a 2" version of an older EV-1CM. I was expecting the cheapest single speed focuser imaginable!

Perhaps a custom version of an EV-B he had laying around? There's no branding on it at all.

Edited by HiveIndustries

I've not seen one before but it looks like a JMI EV 1N. I often think that the sign of a good retailer is not the service they provide when everything goes right, but the service supplied when something goes wrong. In this case it looks like they've really stepped up to the mark. 

• Like 1

If it's a clone it'd have to be something he got into the shop via trade-in, this was in a rich neighborhood with Tele-vues in stock en masse and his basement is servicing 16" and 20" monsters.

It does look almost exactly like the JMI EV 1N but perhaps older (which is fine by me!)

Edited by HiveIndustries

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Looks more telescope solutions than camera concepts…. Looks like a great store, we’ve lost many physical astro shops in the U.K 😞

Peter

One of 2 in a very long geographical area comprising half the amount people you have in your entire country so it's not like we're swimming in them here either. They really are gems since the store clerks and staff appear to all be either PhD holders or students from the university right there. I'm sure the store gets a lot of business from them too explaining how they still exist as it's fairly large with 30k students and an astronomy department. It's 40 miles away so not exactly like running down to the local gas (that's petrol, geez you'd think you people would speak the language) station. Petition · Create a Lime Emoji · Change.org

On 16/10/2021 at 14:08, HiveIndustries said:

PS, not that it matters cause you're all limeys and this isn't exactly the greatest e-commerce site but here's the shop :D

Scuse me!!!!!. I'm only 50% Limey. The other other 50% is Shamrock/Potato or Leprechaun.

Lol.

Good looking focuser.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Haha 2

On 23/10/2021 at 16:29, LukeSkywatcher said:

Scuse me!!!!!. I'm only 50% Limey. The other other 50% is Shamrock/Potato or Leprechaun.

Lol.

Good looking focuser.

It's not my fault, Brits constantly calling us Yanks, I feel the need to pull out period-appropriate counter names whenever conversing with them.  :)

Hey look, I just found what was on the cover of GQ that year

main-qimg-d398126368a16e76b41b91f9e47bf79b-lq

Oi! Why would any yank peep at that rubbish when they could be down at the pub dropping back a pint of the good ol' Gat and play a round of draughts with their mates? It's bad enough me mum and the missus make me push around the pram all day fetching the dang dummy over and over again. It's enough to make you want to grab a pack of fags I tell ya.

...and I didn't even have to use bonnet or boot. I win, Jeremy Clarkson.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Merlin said:

You said “mum”, but shouldn’t that be mom?  Depending  on where we live in the UK, it’s either mum, or, further north, mam.

The problem with the internet is you didn't hear the most American person in the world making the worst possible accent ever and focusing on the spelling of mum misses how nonsensical I am.  :D

Really the mental picture you should have in your head is a combination of "An Idiot Abroad" and Cliff Claven from Cheers. Not just in this context, like in everything you see me type.