Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great session/s!!!

Xgaze

Really, it was two sessions last night/early morn.

Firstly, began cooling the Heritage 150 DOB at around 20:30. Seemed a nice clear night, started with viewing Jupiter with its 4 moons laid out fairly evenly spaced. Using the BST 8mm the Details on the planet itself wasn't as good as usual. Moved over to Saturn, luckily, the moon was behind a large brewery chimney so didn't seem to hamper the viewing too badly. As ever, Saturn didn't disappoint, read somewhere that the Cassini division was discernable using the stock 10mm!!?? I've not managed this with the upgraded BST 8mm, I wonder if it's possible at all with this set up??

Anyway, it's nice to pick out two of it's moons were they Titan & Rhea?

Then decided to move over to PLEIADES using a 32m Plossl this was a lovely, bright treat! Then wondered up to ANDROMEDA, after spotting in the 32mm EP I  put the 8mm back in. Viewing this seems to get better each time I visit, guess my brain is getting used to interpretation of it?

Moved back over to the DUMBELL NEBULA, bit underwhelming, tried bumping up the mag with the BST 'shorty' X2 Barlow, seemed worse if anything! Just a bigger smudge!

Then spent some time looking for (or at) Neptune. Pretty sure I'm in the right spot now, using a mixture of star hopping, binoculars and Stellarium. So, I'm about certain I've found it but can't tell the difference from neighbouring star's, I thought it would be different somehow perhaps even a blueish hue? Is that too hopefull with my setup?

Session was interrupted by a chap parking his car in the car park where I was pitched up right in front of his space! Holding my hand up, standing in front of my setup (DOB on an overturned old metal dustbin!) I waited until I was sure he'd seen me before lifting the setup out of the way. Despite completely ruining my adapted night vision, after greeting him, he asked what on earth I was doing, I replied and asked if he'd like to have a look to which he replied: "I'd love to!!"

Spent the next 10-15 minutes with the complete stranger  who's face I couldn't even see! showing Jupiter and Andromeda (unfortunately, Saturn had sunk behind the brewery). He asked lots of questions which I did my best to answer, he seemed really in awe and thankful!!

Knowing Orion was rising later in the night/early morning, I thought I'd turn in and get up for the show....

It was better that I could of hoped! With the DOB now safely in my garden it had, had plenty of time to cool! I woke at around 5:30am, managed to get ready without ruining my adapted vision. Found the nebula right away, first time viewing this, it was incredible!

Saw what I hope might be a meteorite between 5:35 - 5: 45 travel across the view of the nebula, seemed too fast and dim to be a satellite? Did anyone else see this??

What a brilliant hobby!! Must have spent most of the next 30mins just drinking in that wonderous view of the Orion nebula. Didn't see any colour but, in my opinion; it is better that those sickly, over coloured images created with cameras! It was the real thing with photons traveling directly to my eye! 

Mind boggled at the size of it and how black space looked behind the centre where the four stars are situated (apologies for my lack of names/knowledge, still quite new to it all).

All my equipment has paid for itself in 'WOWs" ten times over!

Thanks for reading!

Clear skies to all!

Ex

Edited by Xgaze
Typos
  • Like 23

• Xgaze changed the title to Great session/s!!!
7 minutes ago, Xgaze said:

Mind boggled at the size of it and how black space looked behind the centre where the four stars are situated (apologies for my lack of names/knowledge, still quite new to it all).

The Trapezium. There are more than the 4 main stars (A, B, C & D). Stars E and F are harder to see and depend on very good seeing. Some info here:

• Thanks 1

Nice report.

In a small scope, the Dumbbell will be a bit of a smudge. A nebula filter can help a bit. In my 150mm I can just make out the overall shape, no more.

Likewise, Neptune will look just like a star. You may see some colour, possibly dependent on the eyepiece transmission.

Great that you managed to enthuse joe public - the more chance encounters we can convert, the more hope we have of doing something about light pollution 🤞

• Thanks 1

Excellent report - thanks for sharing it :icon_biggrin:

I was observing The Dumbbell Nebula with my 120mm refractor last week and found that a UHC filter made quite a difference to the definition of it's shape. It took on a much clearer "hourglass" look with the filter in place.

• Thanks 1

Nice report! I’ve had the Heritage 150p on order since April and still waiting (like many others I suppose). Plan to use it mainly for widefield DSO viewing at a bottle 4 site. It’ll be fun to learn how to star hop. Glad you’re enjoying yours!

• Thanks 1

For detailed info about what I just  saw, I find stellarium invaluable , you can set the time to yesterday, zoom in, and see which moons of Jupiter they were, and check if a satellite was what zipped by ...  You can also set up a plugin called ocular view to show you an approximation of the view with your 'scope/eyepieces,  handy to show the star patterns around an object in the orientation you do in the eyepiece , for instance, this was Neprune 9pm yesterday with heritage150/32mm plossl :

neptune.jpg.46350cbe621365a41c0f04066f0b2b42.jpg

I found Neptune underwhelming in the 150 heritage dob too, it was only a few weeks ago when I was absolutely 100% certain I had identified which tiny dim grey pinprick really was the planet . Have a try at Uranus, that looked distinctively  greenish coloured to me,  far easier to pick out.

For a printable PDF with plenty of realistic targets, with brief info on each as well as how to find them, check out the Loughton List , I've linked to it lads of times, a search (top right) on here will find the pages.

Heather

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tripleped said:

Nice report! I’ve had the Heritage 150p on order since April and still waiting (like many others I suppose). Plan to use it mainly for widefield DSO viewing at a bottle 4 site. It’ll be fun to learn how to star hop. Glad you’re enjoying yours!

There were two Heritage 150Ps in the for sale section from highly respected (and respectable 😉) members if you fancy getting one sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

There were two Heritage 150Ps in the for sale section from highly respected (and respectable 😉) members if you fancy getting one sooner rather than later.

I'll happily act as international courier for it and donate my time for free,  as long as the buyer pays for my return ticket , I've not visited that part of the US yet 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Xgaze said:

Really, it was two sessions last night/early morn.

Firstly, began cooling the Heritage 150 DOB at around 20:30. Seemed a nice clear night, started with viewing Jupiter with its 4 moons laid out fairly evenly spaced. Using the BST 8mm the Details on the planet itself wasn't as good as usual. Moved over to Saturn, luckily, the moon was behind a large brewery chimney so didn't seem to hamper the viewing too badly. As ever, Saturn didn't disappoint, read somewhere that the Cassini division was discernable using the stock 10mm!!?? I've not managed this with the upgraded BST 8mm, I wonder if it's possible at all with this set up??

Anyway, it's nice to pick out two of it's moons were they Titan & Rhea?

Then decided to move over to PLEIADES using a 32m Plossl this was a lovely, bright treat! Then wondered up to ANDROMEDA, after spotting in the 32mm EP I  put the 8mm back in. Viewing this seems to get better each time I visit, guess my brain is getting used to interpretation of it?

Moved back over to the DUMBELL NEBULA, bit underwhelming, tried bumping up the mag with the BST 'shorty' X2 Barlow, seemed worse if anything! Just a bigger smudge!

Then spent some time looking for (or at) Neptune. Pretty sure I'm in the right spot now, using a mixture of star hopping, binoculars and Stellarium. So, I'm about certain I've found it but can't tell the difference from neighbouring star's, I thought it would be different somehow perhaps even a blueish hue? Is that too hopefull with my setup?

Session was interrupted by a chap parking his car in the car park where I was pitched up right in front of his space! Holding my hand up, standing in front of my setup (DOB on an overturned old metal dustbin!) I waited until I was sure he'd seen me before lifting the setup out of the way. Despite completely ruining my adapted night vision, after greeting him, he asked what on earth I was doing, I replied and asked if he'd like to have a look to which he replied: "I'd love to!!"

Spent the next 10-15 minutes with the complete stranger  who's face I couldn't even see! showing Jupiter and Andromeda (unfortunately, Saturn had sunk behind the brewery). He asked lots of questions which I did my best to answer, he seemed really in awe and thankful!!

Knowing Orion was rising later in the night/early morning, I thought I'd turn in and get up for the show....

It was better that I could of hoped! With the DOB now safely in my garden it had, had plenty of time to cool! I woke at around 5:30am, managed to get ready without ruining my adapted vision. Found the nebula right away, first time viewing this, it was incredible!

Saw what I hope might be a meteorite between 5:35 - 5: 45 travel across the view of the nebula, seemed too fast and dim to be a satellite? Did anyone else see this??

What a brilliant hobby!! Must have spent most of the next 30mins just drinking in that wonderous view of the Orion nebula. Didn't see any colour but, in my opinion; it is better that those sickly, over coloured images created with cameras! It was the real thing with photons traveling directly to my eye! 

All my equipment has paid for itself in 'WOWs" ten times over!

Thanks for reading!

Clear skies to all!

Ex

Excellent report Xgaze!

Rest assured you have a very capable scope, despite its ‘entry level’ positioning. I have one as well and the optics are very decent, and it will show you some excellent views of a range of objects.

I had very credible views of Mars last opposition, nice surface detail visible. It will also split quite tight doubles, and has humbled my two gorgeous 4” fluorite doublets (Tak and Vixen) on Zeta Herculis, resolving it better.

It may be worth checking the collimation if you haven’t already, as that will make a big difference to the fine detail visible on planets and the Moon, plus doubles of course.

I think with good skies and dark adaptation you should hopefully find objects like M27 more rewarding. As others have said, a UHC filter will help improve the contrast.

Making a shroud to cover the open truss can help in two ways. It cuts out glare from the light path, but also stops your breath from causing tubes currents whilst observing, particularly useful when viewing at high power.

I find Neptune to be a deep blue colour, and if you up the power a fair amount you should see it as a tiny disk. Not impressive but still amazing to see. My eyes show Uranus as a greyish green colour. It’s hard to describe but I find that these two appear quite obvious when in the field of view; even though they look stellar, they just look different somehow.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I'll happily act as international courier for it and donate my time for free,  as long as the buyer pays for my return ticket , I've not visited that part of the US yet 🙂

Ah, good point. I was thinking of the OP who is in the U.K. but obvious he has one already!! DOH! 🤪

• Like 1

I observed Neptune for the first time using this scope a couple of weeks ago.  I hadn’t expected much more than a blueish spec so wasn’t disappointed  - just seeing it and knowing what it was and the distance was amazing enough. Clear, blue point of light. Stunning. I’m yet to spy Uranus - seem to be stuck in a long run of clouds presently!

Edited by Astro_Dad
  • Like 2

Very nice - impressive to see what can be achieved with just a single image looking at your first two images @Stu .  I don’t feel like I maximised my opportunities on Mars at opposition last year but maybe better luck in December next year eh… I’d be more than happy with shots like that 👍

• Thanks 1

On 14/10/2021 at 20:38, Stu said:

Excellent report Xgaze!

Rest assured you have a very capable scope, despite its ‘entry level’ positioning. I have one as well and the optics are very decent, and it will show you some excellent views of a range of objects.

I had very credible views of Mars last opposition, nice surface detail visible. It will also split quite tight doubles, and has humbled my two gorgeous 4” fluorite doublets (Tak and Vixen) on Zeta Herculis, resolving it better.

It may be worth checking the collimation if you haven’t already, as that will make a big difference to the fine detail visible on planets and the Moon, plus doubles of course.

I think with good skies and dark adaptation you should hopefully find objects like M27 more rewarding. As others have said, a UHC filter will help improve the contrast.

Making a shroud to cover the open truss can help in two ways. It cuts out glare from the light path, but also stops your breath from causing tubes currents whilst observing, particularly useful when viewing at high power.

I find Neptune to be a deep blue colour, and if you up the power a fair amount you should see it as a tiny disk. Not impressive but still amazing to see. My eyes show Uranus as a greyish green colour. It’s hard to describe but I find that these two appear quite obvious when in the field of view; even though they look stellar, they just look different somehow.

Thanks Stu,

Some good and encouraging advice there!

I have put a shroud on the scope however, it causes problems when collapsing and extending the truss, gets stuck in two points: where I've cut out the hole between the EP and secondary mirror and also on the bolts that attach it to the dovetail/mount. Annoying having to hold it away from these parts every time I set it up/ pack away! I have overcome the former by not fully closing the truss.

The other advised and common modification to this scope; the PTFE tape on the focus thread seemed to just 'file' bits of the tape off over time which built up debris or tape filings inside the OTA with the potential to find their way into the primary mirror so, I removed it.I

Iwill say that helix or threaded focuser is a big downside to the scope but I'm very happy with it over all.

Thanks again,

Tony

On 14/10/2021 at 22:00, Stu said:

Found these Mars images which I took with a smartphone through the 150p. The first two are single images, the last one a short video clip which I processed inexpertly.

C2F863AF-0882-451E-A36D-9FAEFCABAB83.jpeg

2E00DD36-506A-4934-81CB-339EBD6B00A1.jpeg

30258600-A8B1-4E72-BA19-149F651C38C2.jpeg

These are brilliant, I'd be very happy with them from my 150p.

Encouraging! Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing stuff with your very own eyeballs, magnified by 'just' crafted mirrors and glass is what it's all about to me ;)

Yes, sometimes it IS a grey smudge, but you know looking at that Hubble image that you saw it it with your very own eyes 🙂

Can't beat that - amazing to see something of the universe we fleetingly live in!

As for planets - what a privilege to detect details on other worlds no human has ever visited.

Edited by niallk
  • Like 6

Great report - thanks for sharing your session.

There are a couple of free apps you can get for identifying moons of Jupiter/Saturn, called Moons of Jupiter and Moons of Saturn. I normally check out the orientation of these indoors and draw a quick sketch of then to take out with me. The Moons of Jupiter app is particularly nice, because it show the shadows of the moon passing over Jupiter's surface, which I like to try to spot if the timings and seeing are right.

• Like 2

On 16/10/2021 at 11:42, Xgaze said:

Thanks Stu,

Some good and encouraging advice there!

I have put a shroud on the scope however, it causes problems when collapsing and extending the truss, gets stuck in two points: where I've cut out the hole between the EP and secondary mirror and also on the bolts that attach it to the dovetail/mount. Annoying having to hold it away from these parts every time I set it up/ pack away! I have overcome the former by not fully closing the truss.

The other advised and common modification to this scope; the PTFE tape on the focus thread seemed to just 'file' bits of the tape off over time which built up debris or tape filings inside the OTA with the potential to find their way into the primary mirror so, I removed it.I

Iwill say that helix or threaded focuser is a big downside to the scope but I'm very happy with it over all.

Thanks again,

Tony

It may be worth revisiting both these Tony. The shroud on my now sold 130p slid down into the OTA without catching on anything and worked well. Perhaps some adjustment or even a rebuild might help? The foam is inexpensive so maybe worthwhile. @Chris did a video on making one which I will link to if I can find it.

With the PTFE mod, I find that if you pull the tape really tight when wrapping it the it stays on with no problem. It does make the whole thing much more satisfactory although it’s still probably the weakest point of the mount.