Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Svbony 70mm Mini Mak

Had a quick peek at the moon through an open bedroom window and must say I was impressed. Nice sharp image and good contrast. Used a cheapie Svbony Moon & Skyglow filter which gave the moon a nice neutral grey cast to it. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Tried a Celestron 8-24 zoom and it worked quite well although image was dimming a bit at the x8 setting. Tried the Nirvana 16mm and image was sharper with more contrast than the zoom so worth using decent fixed focal length eyepieces.ย 

So under not ideal conditions the little mak really performed. Once the moon clears the trees will be out for a better look if the clouds keep away๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

Looking through the scope had to remind myself this was an inexpensive ยฃ85.00 scope. Optics were excellent, focusing was nice and smooth so thinking this definitely is going to be a great super portable scope. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Popped outside for a proper look at the moon. Tried the 7mm Nirvana and views were still nice and sharp and bright unlike the 8mm setting on the zoom. While it only has 70mm of aperture the lunar views are quite pleasing. Of course itโ€™s not going to deliver the resolution or take the higher mag of a bigger scope but still it does a good job.

The TeleVue eyepiece calculator says it should take a 4.7mm eyepiece but Iโ€™m not sure?

Really does need a finder but will have a Rigel QuikFinder in a few days.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Is that a similarly cheap lightweight tripod? I have a decent manfrotto, but sometimes carrying the extra bag is a dragโ€ฆ something smaller and lighter to combine with a light compact scope would be a winner.ย 
A monopod with hide clamp may be a winnerโ€ฆ if such a thing existed.

Peter

That is a ยฃ35.00 tripod with a ยฃ20.00 fluid head so not too expensive. Would be more solid if not fully extended though so perhaps better used while seated or even on a table top. The scope comes with a table top tripod but itโ€™s pretty poor quality.

Will have to dig out my bean pod rest and give it a try . Know itโ€™s in a drawer soewhere. ๐Ÿค” Used to use it with a camera to rest it on top of a fence or post.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/762978-REG/The_Pod_RE0017_The_Red_Pod_Bean.html

Edited by johninderby

Any model numbers for the tripod? I added a hook Tommy manfrotto so I can hang my bag off if to add stability. My dad used to make his own camera bean bags for that purposeโ€ฆ would fit the mini Mak quite nicely.

Peter

That's a good read. The C70 is f10. It was nice reading your Moon report as you didn't mention any CA. The CA I experienced using the C70 I was able to attribute to the inbuilt prism (I've striped it down and made a new back plate for using a diagonal).

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Any model numbers for the tripod? I added a hook Tommy manfrotto so I can hang my bag off if to add stability. My dad used to make his own camera bean bags for that purposeโ€ฆ would fit the mini Mak quite nicely.

Peter

Itโ€™s a Giottos Memmoire 50. ย Has 5 leg sections and several leg angle positions so it can go quite low. I have added a centre column extension for added height. Fluid head is a cheap Neweer one from Amazon..Oh yes there is a small hook on the bottom of the column.

AC76F63C-609D-4908-8AFF-E0F4C01E963E.jpeg

D67B1010-DADA-4B7F-A6C9-979DD773D925.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

That's a good read. The C70 is f10. It was nice reading your Moon report as you didn't mention any CA. The CA I experienced using the C70 I was able to attribute to the inbuilt prism (I've striped it down and made a new back plate for using a diagonal).

Yes didnโ€™t notice any CA at all and just using the Svbony moon & skyglow filter. Specs say it is fully multi coated with a BAK4 prism. Focal length is 11.2.ย 

I notice that the C70 specs just say multi coated unlike the Svbonyโ€™s fully multi coated so maybe the C70 prisim isnโ€™t fully coated?

ย 

Edited by johninderby

I had the Celestron Mini Mak 70, it was great little scope but I didn't use it enough so I passed it on to a good home. ย From my experience with Svbony gear it should prove to be a well built, fun scope with something like the Svbony 10-30mm zoom ep.

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Works well with the Svbony 10-30 zoom but image is better with the Nirvana eyiepieces. ๐Ÿ™‚

1B7E46EF-6546-4114-9C27-ECF2122CF00F.jpeg

In what ways ? ย I own 3 Svbony zooms, I am interested to hear.

12 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

In what ways ? ย I own 3 Svbony zooms, I am interested to hear.

The Nirvanas give a brighter, sharper image with more contrast not to mention the wide fov. The difference between an inexpensive not bad zoom and an excellent 82 degree eyepiece.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Rigel QuikFinder arrived and fitted. Looks big on the lttle mak. Thought a Telrad might be a little bit much on it. ๐Ÿ˜

Fitted a ZWO T2 to 1.25โ€ filter adaptor to the eyepiece holder so no need to keep swapping filter onto different eyepieces.

14CDF102-FDB7-404F-9488-1BA0A2AE9CE6.jpeg

24FD12D2-8F17-4460-91A2-704DDE9F536C.jpeg

DA35470B-11F5-4DA9-B163-DA662DC396DF.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

The TeleVue calculator says 165x. Did try it the other night at 112x and it was nice and sharp and reasonably bright. Will have to try my ES4.7mm which would give 165x.

Although being just 70mm the image wonโ€™t be as good as a bigger aperture I could best characterise the views as pleasing. Used to have a TS 70ED frac and lunar / planetary views always disappointed. OK for DSOs but then a bit limited with the 70mm aperture.ย 

Now with the finder will be able to find Jupiter. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Had to move the QuikFinder as it was useless where it was, Need to get my eye closer to use it properly. Also fitted ย a small dovetail so the little mak could be used on my Report tripod with geared head. Will keep the lightweight photo tripod for traveling with the scope.

9EED17C4-5F32-4757-8C2D-D84C736287D5.jpeg

D144459D-3392-4025-8BC9-A6210328BFF6.jpeg

2037FC98-FA28-4487-A798-A7C114499EC7.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I added one to my mini-stable after reading John's post above. Very impressed! I tried it out on a few well-known doubles last night when the sky cleared and before the mist.

It actually split Polaris, Rigel, showed the A to D stars in the Trapezium, showed diffraction rings around the Castor pair, and gave a half-decent view of the Moon, all with the supplied zoom. All I need to do now find an adapter that will take 1 1/4" EPs.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you are as impressed with this bargain scope as I am.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

I used a Sybony Moon & Skyglow filter which works surprisingly well and in keeping with the budget theme. Definitely improved lunar views.

This is the M48 to T2 adaptor. Then just use a standard T2 to 1.25โ€ adaptor. One thing to note that the opening in the back of the scope is a mm or two smaller than a 1.25โ€ eyepiece barrel so get a 35mm or 40mm T2 to 1.25โ€ adaptor.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/m48t2.html#SID=1664

ย 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2021 at 14:09, johninderby said:

Yes didnโ€™t notice any CA at all and just using the Svbony moon & skyglow filter. Specs say it is fully multi coated with a BAK4 prism. Focal length is 11.2.ย 

I notice that the C70 specs just say multi coated unlike the Svbonyโ€™s fully multi coated so maybe the C70 prisim isnโ€™t fully coated?

ย 

I missed the reply earlier, this is the C70 prism.

image.png.d85a548bc16c46bdf088807f3b870410.png

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, johninderby said:

Glad to hear you are as impressed with this bargain scope as I am.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

I used a Sybony Moon & Skyglow filter which works surprisingly well and in keeping with the budget theme. Definitely improved lunar views.

This is the M48 to T2 adaptor. Then just use a standard T2 to 1.25โ€ adaptor. One thing to note that the opening in the back of the scope is a mm or two smaller than a 1.25โ€ eyepiece barrel so get a 35mm or 40mm T2 to 1.25โ€ adaptor.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/m48t2.html#SID=1664

ย 

I found that the Baader helical focuser fits directly to the thread without an adapter. Good because it will give me fine focus as well.ย 

Chris