Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ganymede transit set to begin in 10 mins

IB20

At ingress Ganymede appeared very much like Io’s transit. A bright white disc which was visible on the edge and face of the limb, this persisted for sometime before I could no longer see it.

I have been battling with some light cloud but around 5-10 minutes ago, at 62-88x I have been able to detect a dull diffuse mark in the EB which corresponds to Ganymede’s current position. What a result! Will continue to track it across Jupiter’a face, weather permitting.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IB20 said:

At ingress Ganymede appeared very much like Io’s transit. A bright white disc which was visible on the edge and face of the limb, this persisted for sometime before I could no longer see it.

I have been battling with some light cloud but around 5-10 minutes ago, at 62-88x I have been able to detect a dull diffuse mark in the EB which corresponds to Ganymede’s current position. What a result! Will continue to track it across Jupiter’a face, weather permitting.

Good stuff. I’ve got the 130mm f6 out tonight and Ganymede is showing very clearly as a dark disk against the bright surface, very clear and looking much like a shadow transit. Interesting that it looked bright at the start, I have to hang in and see what it look like as it exits.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good stuff. I’ve got the 130mm f6 out tonight and Ganymede is showing very clearly as a dark disk against the bright surface, very clear and looking much like a shadow transit. Interesting that it looked bright at the start, I have to hang in and see what it look like as it exits.

Yes, now it is positioned more centrally on the face it’s become much more defined and circular rather than a small smudge and does resemble a shadow transit. I have managed to crank up the mag to 133x so perhaps my seeing has improved too.

• Like 1

Caught this by chance as I was about to pack up due to encroaching dew. Seeing quite steady in Winchester tonight & watched a clean shadow cross the meridian slightly South of the equator - super way to end a session!  
Best view was at 150x with a BCO 10mm.  Nice banding too with some real detail at times. 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 3

I just came back from a good session with my Skymax 180. The seeing was decent and managed to push the magnification to x220 on Jupiter. Ganymede is obvious as a sharp dark disc slowly moving along the equator. Many bands on Jupter are visible. Now fog is rising again and I decided to pack up. My best seeing in autumn and winter seems to be just before the fog arrives :(

• Like 3

Stunning views here I must say. Seeing is mostly very good, some moments of really excellent clarify. Ganymede is so clear, and there is a lot of detail to see on the surface too. Very glad I put the scope out now (LZOS 130mm f6). Mainly using the TOE 4mm at x195, but the 3.4mm Vixen HR is pretty good at times too. Both edge the Nag zooms in terms of detail and colour I reckon.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Stunning views here I must say. Seeing is mostly very good, some moments of really excellent clarify. Ganymede is so clear, and there is a lot of detail to see on the surface too. Very glad I put the scope out now (LZOS 130mm f6). Mainly using the TOE 4mm at x195, but the 3.4mm Vixen HR is pretty good at times too. Both edge the Nag zooms in terms of detail and colour I reckon.

Sounds like a superb scope Stu! I’m doing all my observing with my 80mm, I have a bad case of small aperture fever. 

Clouds have finally moved on and I am finally managing some excellent seeing as other have reported; Ganymede is showing a nice dark grey disk towards 9oclock on my Dob; I should be able to see it reappearing soon.

• Like 2

Similarly to ingress, Ganymede’s image on the disc has become really diffuse and quite hard to see. Jupiter getting closer to a neighbour’s rooftop and chimney though. Hoping it clings on for egress where it might appear like a white dot on the darkening limb.

The seeing dropped off (actually as expected from the Jetstream forecast) as Ganymede approached the limb. Same as @IB20 it became very hard to see, presumably as the brightness of the moon matched the darkened limb. I then saw it emerge as a bright pimple and packed up as it had just separated.

It’s fascinating how it appears to change from bright to dark to bright again depending on the background it is contrasted with.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Stu said:

This is a screen grab from a video I took quickly last night. Nowhere near as good as the view, but at least you can see Ganymede.

75A37103-BD95-45BF-B51F-9055E17B9CA7.jpeg

218536F0-41FC-4BD2-BB83-1A54589C8366.jpeg

Better than my view! As the transit progressed, Jupiter dived into some trees, so I had to head off with my ED80 on a portable mount into a field to follow it!

Chris

• Like 1