Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ganymede Surprise

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! I have just been observing Jupiter and it's moons. Using 370x on my 10 inch dob the moons were perfect disks. As I studied Ganymede I noticed a tiny dark marking near the top of its disk. 

Upon comming back inside and checking Sky Safari Plus I was amazed to find out that the tiny black spot I saw on Ganymede was the region Galileo Regio! I had no pre conceived idea what to expect before my observations as I always observe first then check later to confirm what I believe I saw. Blown away that I was actually able to see a feature on another moon from another planet! Just wanted to share this "discovery" of mine with you all as it has excited me greatly! Really buzzing right now..

Joe

• Like 21

22 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Wow! Must have been excellent seeing conditions to nab that then. Well done! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Yes Knighty, the conditions are excellent right now, but a big factor I believe was that I got my collimation spot on. Can't stress enough how important precise collimation is! Thanks mate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, callisto said:

Excellent...I was just going to say "that's rare" but then I noticed your 'Down Under'  :thumbsup:

Mark

Thanks Mark. It has been raining the past week here in Perth, but it has cleared tonight and the seeing is excellent. I never imagined that it would be possible to see any details on Ganymede, and indeed this is the first time I've been able to do so! The perfect mix of good seeing, high altitude of Jupiter here in Australia, 10 inch aperture and precise collimation 😊. I'm chuffed as you would say in the UK! Hope you have clear skies over there

4 minutes ago, Epick Crom said:

My fingers will be crossed for you Mark🤞. I have just gone back outside and it's clouded over here now. Oh well, wishing you the best for tonight!

Joe

Typical 🙄

Take care,

Mark

• Like 1

I can feel your excitement, well done! Ganymede looks fuzzy at best under our seeing conditions at the moment. Jupiter must have shown some amazing details if your Ganymede was that good.

• Thanks 1

That is an outstanding observation - an excellent result of what was no doubt very careful scrutiny :thumbright:

I suspect Jupiter's much lower altitude in the sky will hamper achieving a similar result here, but it's worth a try none the less :smiley:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kon said:

I can feel your excitement, well done! Ganymede looks fuzzy at best under our seeing conditions at the moment. Jupiter must have shown some amazing details if your Ganymede was that good.

Yes Kon, Jupiter showed some amazing details as well, comming and going with the seeing. There were moments when I could make out fine details within the cloud bands 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John said:

That is an outstanding observation - an excellent result of what was no doubt very careful scrutiny :thumbright:

I suspect Jupiter's much lower altitude in the sky will hamper achieving a similar result here, but it's worth a try none the less :smiley:

Hi John, I wish you luck in your attempt! Hopefully Galileo Regio is still facing earth when you try🤞. It was a very taxing but rewarding observation. Thanks

• Like 1

@Epick Crom, I see dots on the Galilean moons all the time, trouble is it’s my floaters! 🤪🤣

Really great observation, that is quite something being able to get the resolution and seeing to spot detail. I’m sure the fact Jupiter is overhead for you makes a huge difference, but that doesn’t take away from it being a very skilled bit of observing 👍👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stu! I still can't believe I managed to see that feature. I have been observing over a year now with my telescope and this was the first time I could discern such fine details. This shows how dependent we are on excellent seeing conditions. Cheers

• Like 1