Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2021 Challenge 7 - The Terminator

The theme for the this challenge is The Terminator

Start Date: 1st October 2021
End Date: 31st December 2021

Rules: The theme this time is 'The Terminator' - we want to see lots of glorious images, videos, sketches and animations from in and around the Moon's terminator.   We are talking about the moon here, not Arnie!

Prize: A personalised mug for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places featuring your image kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please post within this topic, do not start a new topic. Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Like 5

Just did a careful process from the 28th September. ZWO178m Camera. Orion 245mm F6.3 Newtonian. IR685 Filter. Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow.  Downsizing produces a very fine photographic quality that i like.

Dark and moody terminator

Same with prime focus mosaic downsizing to 50% Produces a very fine photographic quality

sgl 75.png 50.png s.png con.png d (2).png smooth.png grey.png

28th sept done.teminator 50%.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 11

Great idea!
Certainly the terminator is always the place of greatest interest because the long shadows there make it much easier to see fine details.
However, at the same time, it is not an easy region to photograph, demanding from the photographer a great deal of control at the time of capture due to the high contrast that this region always has. The tendency is always to burst in some places like the crater walls facing the Sun.
It will be interesting to follow, I hope I can leave my modest contributions.
Hugs to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to remember guys, a very similar challenge took place last year. Actually I think it was in 2019, before the very first lockdown.

It's absolutely mind-blowing what can be seen these days with an amateur telescope. Imagine the possibilities when the James Webb is finally launched!

On 02/10/2021 at 09:16, neil phillips said:

Just did a careful process from the 28th September. ZWO178m Camera. Orion 245mm F6.3 Newtonian. IR685 Filter. Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow.  Downsizing produces a very fine photographic quality that i like.

Dark and moody terminator

Same with prime focus mosaic downsizing to 50% Produces a very fine photographic quality

sgl 75.png 50.png s.png con.png d (2).png smooth.png grey.png

28th sept done.teminator 50%.png

Reading the rules a little more carefully lol. I am 3 days out of date. As such i withdraw my entry. Its the fair thing to do. The images can be taken down. or left. But consider them not entries. If and when i get more in the time allowed i will re enter. Apologies i should have paid more attention

• Like 1

Plateau Aristharcus and my ghost crater

October, 18-2021; 01:08 TU

C14 Edge + ASI 290MC + IR Pass 685

Fire Capture, AS!3 and Irfan

Parsec Observatory, Brazil

by Avani Soares

k1.png

With only 2 months left to complete 10 years of the ghost crater discovered by me, I present a new photo in better resulution of the formation in question and take the opportunity to transcribe the original text with some minor adaptations.
"I've always had the greatest interest in astrophotography of Lunar formations and from the beginning, using mainly the Virtual Moon Atlas, I tried to find and know the most striking features of the regions I observed or photographed.
As time went by, I acquired a better knowledge and more easily recognized these regions and their main accidents, which greatly facilitated the perception of anything that clashed with the traditionally observed landscape.
So on January 5, 2012, photographing the region near Plateau Aristarchus, I noticed a strange depression that caught my attention. I tried to locate it on lunar maps and even in the Virtual Moon Atlas, but I found nothing.
I searched the internet, asked for help from colleagues in Brazil and abroad to clarify what this training could be, I believed that it should already be known or that others had already observed it.
In principle, I couldn't find any reference to this lunar formation.
Looking at the attached photo, the impression we have is the existence of a depression that is only revealed when the Sun is at a very low angle of illumination.
I sent the original photos to my friend Vaz Tolentino from the Lunar Observatory (VTOL) back in 2012 and he gave me the following explanation: Indeed, your photo, due to the angle of sunlight, captured an interesting and unusual circular depression, which has along its southwestern rim, the crater WOLLASTON D (5km in diameter). The formation is very strange in that it doesn't look in the style of known ghost craters. The strange and unusual thing is that, it appears that the supposed crater was flooded by basaltic lava and, instead of filling up and leveling off with the surrounding outer floor, it only filled a little and didn't even out, remaining like a "gourd" or "bowl ", in addition to leaving no traces of a central peak. This depression appears to be about 42 km in diameter, being slightly larger than ARISTARCHUS. I checked LRO images and unfortunately I can't identify anything due to the sunlight being high in the photos. We need more photos of this region, in light conditions similar to the one in this photo.
At Alexandre Amorim's suggestion, I decided to contact BAA (http://www.baalunarsection.org.uk/) Lunar Section where I made contact with Dr. Anthony Cook. I sent to the same the photos obtained by me in January and June 2012, as well as I reported the suspicion that the referred depression had not yet been catalogued. After exchanging several emails, I received the following message from Dr. Cook, which I transfer in full:
On Mon 4/06/12 07:06 , "Tony Cook [atc]" atc@aber.ac.uk sat:
Dear Avani,
Thank you for your images. It looks like a buried ghost crater that you have found. Please keep on looking for another ghost craters elsewhere on the Moon because I think that there may be quite a few that are visible near to sun rise or sunset that remain to be discovered. I think this work will be of great interest to Peter the Greek. Also I like the quality of your images. If you would like to take images on the dates and times that are listed in:
http://users.aber.ac.uk/atc/tlp/tlp.htm ...
and find Brazil, then this could be very useful for my own research in disproving some TLP observations from the past.
Many thanks
Tony
Dr Anthony Cook Institute of Mathematics and Physics, Aberystwyth University, Penglais, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion. SY23 3BZ. United Kingdom
In April 2013 using the new QHY 5L camera, a color CMOs dedicated to high resolution Lunar and planetary photography, I got a more detailed photo of the place where the depression was located:
This allowed colleague Vaz Tolentino to trace the altimetric profile of depression and perform the following analysis:
"Dear Avani and Amorim:
Analyzing the Avani photos (January/2012 - April/2013), together with the altimetric profile that presents a classic phantom crater depression, I reach the conclusion that, most likely, it is the discovery of a new phantom crater without cataloging.
Also analyzing the altimetry of the ghost craters DAGUERRE, LAMONT and that discovered by VTOL in February 2011, I came to the conclusion that they have very similar altimetric profiles, and the Avani ghost crater is a little shallower (46 km of diameter per 130 m depth) than DAGUERRE and LAMONT (both approximately 400 m deep).
However, Avani's ghost crater depth (130m) is more compatible with the ghost crater discovered by VTOL (which is approximately 100m deep). What this means?
It means that, in the past (at the time of the ancient selenographers), when the main interest in observing the Moon was to map its relief, identifying and naming its formations, they did not have the current technology, that is, shallow formations like these two Phantom craters (Avani and VTOL) are very difficult to see through an eyepiece, to be sure of what you are actually looking at.
After the initial period of cataloging and naming relief formations, lunar map drawings and other studies, the space age arrived. The first robotic lunar probes (Soviet and American) and the manned landings of the APOLLO missions had other scientific goals than discovering new, uncatalogued formations. Furthermore, even in the very high resolution photos taken by modern robotic lunar probes (SELENE, LRO, GRAIL, etc.), the images were mostly captured with sunlight coming from above and not obliquely, which makes it difficult relief enhancement and does not facilitate the identification of shallower formations such as these phantom craters.
For modern selenographs, only after the technological evolution of digital cameras (CCD and CMOS), together with the evolution of telescope optics (large and good mirrors and also APO lenses), combined with the favorable angle of incidence of light on the lunar surface, it became easier to identify new smaller formations, "camouflaged" and not cataloged on the Moon.
Congratulations Avani Soares on your discovery!
Another point marked by the new generation of Brazilian selenographers. A hug from the VTOL team!
In this way, I believe that any misunderstanding regarding the existence and identification of the aforementioned training is ruled out, only lacking the official disclosure and recognition to crown the aforementioned work."

Ghost craters, Domes and small Rilles can only be better noticed near the terminator, so this occasion is extremely favorable for observing and discovering new formations.

Edited by astroavani
  • Like 6

Only bought my first telescope 3 weeks ago, so all new to me. Certainly don't know the names of craters, not that this is anywhere near as close as those posts above 😲 Which are amazing.

• Scope: an old Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT with 2x barlow
  • Imaging: Canon 250D
  • Method: single photo at 1/50 sec, ISO 1600
  • Date: 16/10/2021 @ 21:16 hours

IMG_2169_square.thumb.png.d4e4404ee17405baf2eadb23efe58036.png

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, irtuk said:

That's a great moon pic slaine, welcome to the forums and welcome to Astrophotography. hopefully you can get some nice dark skies down there in Wiltshire.

Cheers @irtuk ... I was chuffed when I first saw it on the PC. Many thanks for the warm welcome. I am loving Astrophotography so much. I only regret not getting into it sooner. The are lots of good spots down here, as I am sure there are in Kent. I used to live not to far away at Biggin Hill. I am sure London would still be glowing in the background though, I am starting to understand the impact of light pollution. Loads to learn, but loving every bit 👍

Was testing the field flattener with the evoguide, it's only 50mm fl 246mm f4.9 and coupled with a canon 1100d and no barlow the Moon did not fill the frame. Seeing that night couldn't have been great coupled with I only had 6 stills to play with. ISO 100, 1/320. The moon is only taking up 425x445 pixels and I didn't want to push sharpening any more. Registax6 for stacking and wavelets, I found autostakkert faster and simpler but the end image had less clarity. 17/10/2021 21:44 Moon 92.1% illuminated waxing gibbous

1694910498_registax19.1wavelets1.png.e3d4040017b7ca7080ac4f9ab2115a23.png

Edited by happy-kat
added date/time Moon illumination
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

There was a lovely half moon tonight. It was pretty low in the southern sky and just about to go behind the neighbour's house!

Single shot of 1/200 at ISO 3200 (It's been a while since I used a DSLR so these might not be ideal settings) using a Canon EOS 60D.

Telescope was a Celestron C6 operating at its native f10.

Clear skies

Peter

IMG_0645.JPG

• Like 2

One day after the other!
Plato exactly in the terminator and 24 hours later shows great details. Many craters on the floor show when you have a good seeing, another detail is the Rima at the bottom of Vallis Alpes, easily visible in both photos.

x.png

• Like 10