Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Four Hours and Two Gas Giants

Sunshine

As it turns out, I have developed quite the love affair with doubles over the past couple of years, I was excited about the possibilities when I purchased my TSA-102.  All I could think of was searching for doubles, unfortunately this resulted in my practically ignoring everything else save for the odd peek at the planets and, as we all know, catching Jupiter on a not so good night can be a less than impressive experience. Tonight was going to be a typical night of searching out doubles, I had made a list in SkySafari and was excited about what looked like a clear and steady atmosphere. Nothing went as planned, not one double, not one measly double. Upon setting up my scope I noticed Saturn and thought why not catch a glimpse before it takes a back seat to my list of targets. That one glimpse led to what I can only describe as the most memorable night of observing planets I have ever experienced in my years. Saturn was just exquisite, I had never experienced it in such clarity, contrast, and detail as last night. My 150 Mak put up some fine planetary views and had more aperture but, this night the seeing must have been better than any night I have looked at planets in the short time I owned the Mak. If I had the Mak tonight would it have been as good? better maybe? with an extra 50mm of glass, I cannot say but, my 102 left me holding my breath at times.

Saturn looked like a fine pencil sketch against a black sky, so beautifully outlined, it’s rings and Cassini’s division were stunning, I could make out very subtle shade in the rings and a clear band across the disc. It is difficult for me to recall all the details as I write this but, one thing that I found particularly beautiful were it’s moons. Based upon a cross reference with SkySafari, making note of exact positions it seems I was looking at Dion, Tethys, Rhea, and Titan. Could I be wrong? I made sure to check the positions of Dion and Tethys and what I saw matched perfectly, these two moons were on the extreme threshold of what my eyes could see, akin to E&f stars in the trapezium except fainter. In any case, it was such that at one point I found myself becoming a bit emotional and my eyes actually got a bit watery. There was no shimmering, no mirage effect to lessen the spectacle that was Saturn on this night, it was just perfect. Just when I thought things could not get any better than this, Jupiter caught my eye as it had just cleared a neighbor’s house. Once again I was floored, upon first glimpse I felt a sensation in my scalp as though it was shrinking, skin crawling. Jupiter was covered in detail, I counted 5 bands and what caught my eye time and again were two red dots just north of the equatorial belt which must be small storms. It was impossible to pry my eyes from Jupiter but, nearby was another beautiful sight. 

Ganymede and Europa were so close it looked as though a collision was imminent, these two were beautiful as they mingled, it reminded me of a pair in the double double in Lyra. What also struck me, hammered home the fact that I was looking at a system was the clarity, definition, and sharpness of Jupiters moons this night. These were not the starry like dots I have become accustomed to seeing, these were planetary like discs, I strained to see detain on them but couldn’t, never have Jupiters moons been so moon like.  It sounds crazy, the amount of time these two gas giants stole from me this night, I went from one to the other in half hour intervals untill I had spent four hours marveling at them. Using no less than 230x which is my shortest FL eyepiece  but if I had 280 Power it would have been a walk in the park for the TSA on this night. In forum threads I would hear all about how everyone loves their lighter and more manageable FC series flourite Tak’s, it had me wondering, the excitement of unboxing a new DZ crossed my mind on occasion. it’s almost as though my scope caught wind of my musings and decided to make a case for itself, a coup de grace against any thoughts I might have of letting my 102 go, it worked.

What a memorable session this was.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 20

Fantastic report - I really enjoyed sharing your session though reading it :icon_biggrin:

Alas, the clear sky here last night came as I was turning in for the night as often seems to happen lately :rolleyes2:

The coming week looks a bit more optimistic though !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

As it turns out, I have developed quite the love affair with doubles over the past couple of years, I was excited about the possibilities when I purchased my TSA-102.  All I could think of was searching for doubles, unfortunately this resulted in my practically ignoring everything else save for the odd peek at the planets and, as we all know, catching Jupiter on a not so good night can be a less than impressive experience. 

Tonight was going to be a typical night of searching out doubles, I had made a list in SkySafari and was excited about what looked like a clear and steady atmosphere. Nothing went as planned, not one double, not one measly double. Upon setting up my scope I noticed Saturn and thought why not catch a glimpse before it takes a back seat to my list of targets. That one glimpse led to what I can only describe as the most memorable night of observing planets I have ever experienced in my years.

Saturn was just exquisite, I had never experienced it in such clarity, contrast, and detail as last night. My 150 Mak put up some fine planetary views and had more aperture but, this night the seeing must have been better than any night I have looked at planets in the short time I owned the Mak. If I had the Mak tonight would it have been as good? better maybe? with an extra 50mm of glass, I cannot say but, my 102 left me holding my breath at times.

Saturn looked like a fine pencil sketch against a black sky, so beautifully outlined, it’s rings and Cassini’s division were stunning, I could make out very subtle shade in the rings and a clear band across the disc. It is difficult for me to recall all the details as I write this but, one thing that I found particularly beautiful were it’s moons. Based upon a cross reference with SkySafari, making note of exact positions it seems I was looking at Dion, Tethys, Rhea, and Titan.

Could I be wrong? I made sure to check the positions of Dion and Tethys and what I saw matched perfectly, these two moons were on the extreme threshold of what my eyes could see, akin to E&f stars in the trapezium except fainter. In any case, it was such that at one point I found myself becoming a bit emotional and my eyes actually got a bit watery. There was no shimmering, no mirage effect to lessen the spectacle that was Saturn on this night, it was just perfect.

Just when I thought things could not get any better than this, Jupiter caught my eye as it had just cleared a neighbor’s house. Once again I was floored, upon first glimpse I felt a sensation in my scalp as though it was shrinking, skin crawling. Jupiter was covered in detail, I counted 5 bands and what caught my eye time and again were two red dots just north of the equatorial belt which must be small storms. It was impossible to pry my eyes from Jupiter but, nearby was another beautiful sight. 

Ganymede and Europa were so close it looked as though a collision was imminent, these two were beautiful as they mingled, it reminded me of a pair in the double double in Lyra. What also struck me, hammered home the fact that I was looking at a system was the clarity, definition, and sharpness of Jupiters moons this night. These were not the starry like dots I have become accustomed to seeing, these were planetary like discs, I strained to see detain on them but couldn’t, never have Jupiters moons been so moon like. 

It sounds crazy, the amount of time these two gas giants stole from me this night, I went from one to the other in half hour intervals untill I had spent four hours marveling at them. Using no less than 230x which is my shortest FL eyepiece  but if I had 280 Power it would have been a walk in the part for the TSA on this night. In forum threads I would hear all about how everyone loves their lighter and more manageable FC series flourite Tak’s, it had me wondering, the excitement of unboxing a new DZ crossed my mind on occasion.

it’s almost as though my scope caught wind of my musings and decided to make a case for itself, a coup de grace against any thoughts I might have of letting my 102 go, it worked.

What a memorable session this was.

A great session beautifully described !

Weeks, months of disappointment in the sky are instantly erased and forgotten after an observing session such as you have just had.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Lovely report. I was drooling reading about what that TSA 102 was showing you!

Sounds like you need a shorter FL eyepiece in your set for these exquisite nights. 😊

Or a Tele-extender

Thanks, I do have a Powermate 2.5x but it was a bit too much, a 3mm would have given 280x which would have been a sweet spot. It sounds crazy spending on an eyepiece that is .5 mm shorter than my 3.5 but it does make a 40x difference. Does a 2-4 mm exist? maybe that would be the best bet. As for my scope, it is true that I have been surfing through threads reading about the FC models and many ecstatic owners of these flourite doublets. Their light weight combined with my flourite Curiosity had me wondering ( I stress, just wondering) on whether I would benefit from a DZ, for example. These thoughts have been laid to rest last night, buried. There’s only one circumstance under which I would sell my 102 (even then with trepidation) is if I can have a TSA-120 but even then, letting go of what seems to be a coveted scope with almost mythical status would be a torturous ordeal. 

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, globular said:

.....May be add a Nagler 2-4 zoom to your case ready for the next perfect night?

My most used high power eyepiece in my refractors, rather to my surprise :thumbright:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

My most used high power eyepiece in my refractors, rather to my surprise :thumbright:

This answers my question about the existence of a 2-4 mm, good to know how it is your most used, it seems I will have to annihilate a credit card 🤣

10 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

This answers my question about the existence of a 2-4 mm, good to know how it is your most used, it seems I will have to annihilate a credit card 🤣

Unfortunately the 2-4mm is out of production now so it will need to be a pre-owned one.

Unlike the 3-6mm, the 2-4mm has click stops every half mm which allows really fine tuning of the magnification.

Edited by John
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Thanks, I do have a Powermate 2.5x but it was a bit too much, a 3mm would have given 280x which would have been a sweet spot. It sounds crazy spending on an eyepiece that is .5 mm shorter than my 3.5 but it does make a 40x difference. Does a 2-4 mm exist? maybe that would be the best bet. As for my scope, it is true that I have been surfing through threads reading about the FC models and many ecstatic owners of these flourite doublets. Their light weight combined with my flourite Curiosity had me wondering ( I stress, just wondering) on whether I would benefit from a DZ, for example. These thoughts have been laid to rest last night, buried. There’s only one circumstance under which I would sell my 102 (even then with trepidation) is if I can have a TSA-120 but even then, letting go of what seems to be a coveted scope with almost mythical status would be a torturous ordeal. 

I don’t believe your TSA 102 will be beaten by any Tak doublet.

The TSA 120 would be a step up, but heavier and more bulky.

In any event, do not let that TSA 102 go!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I don’t believe your TSA 102 will be beaten by any Tak doublet.

The TSA 120 would be a step up, but heavier and more bulky.

In any event, do not let that TSA 102 go!

This is great advice, only issue is now I have developed an appeti….or is it Taketite for more 😂

• Haha 1

On 22/08/2021 at 04:57, JeremyS said:

Or a Tele-extender

This I forgot to ask you about, please explain how they work and differ from a Powermate for example, I have no experience with them but if they increase the FL of the scope then this is ideal for planetary I would assume.  A quick peek at Tak models reveals them to be quite pricey little things and do not mention my scope as compatible models. It seems that a tele extender would differ from a Powermate as it would be inserted in the optical train and kept there unlike a Barlow which is used with one eyepiece and not the other.

By this I mean if I were observing planets only I would use an extender as a longer FL scope is better for planetary, and it would increase the e magnification of any eyepiece used. Where I’m confused is the increase itself, a 1.5 extender would increase the focal length of an 800mm scope to 2000mm?? I’m inclined to think I have this wrong as it seems like a drastic increase. Or does this mean 1200mm.

Edited by Sunshine

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

This I forgot to ask you about, please explain how they work and differ from a Powermate for example, I have no experience with them but if they increase the FL of the scope then this is ideal for planetary I would assume. 

I was thinking Tak specific extenders: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-extenders.html

These are tailored to different Tak scopes. I have one for my TSA 120 and another for my FC 100 DZ. Not sure what works with the TSA 102. There is a Tak somewhere that explains which extender for which Tak model.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Lovely read. It makes me itch for a lovely night for those planets. I've never yet been able to make out more than the two main equatorial belts or the Cassinin Division.

Thanks, Magnus

They are so few and far apart, it makes me want to move out to truly dark skies amd live like a hermit with my scope.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

They are so few and far apart, it makes me want to move out to truly dark skies amd live like a hermit with my scope.

Its not so bad you know 😀

We like visiting the city once in a while but its sure nice to get back home.

• Like 2

Oh yes, I grew up camping in Canada vast wilderness, from one National park to another, my family loved getting away and as a result I would feel totally liberated if I were secluded far from crowds. My dream is to have a small place somewhere away from centers under dark skies where i could have a big dob permanently assembled on wheels.

• Like 1

Lovely report, I enjoyed reading it!

There was some good seeing here last night, perhaps not as good as what you describe. I spent a lot of time on Jupiter and Saturn, stayed at x170 magnification.  Just as you I found it hard to stop, kept switching between Jupiter and Saturn every 20mins or so until it was very late. After an hour or so  the movement of the moons became very noticeable. Saturn had a very 3D look with several moons visible: Titan, Rhea and Dione. On Jupiter I could see a small dark storm on the north edge of the north equatorial belt. My Skywatcher Mak has aperture of 120mm but it was showing plenty of detail. Proves that for planetary views seeing is more important than aperture. A well made scope of 4 or 5 inch aperture shows a lot when the seeing is good.

• Like 2

Very true! funny you mention this as last night I was out again and was able to see even more Jovian detail than i touted in this same report!. I was floored once again, 6 bands and even more subtle detail. This made me want to revisit an old friend which gave me so much trouble over a two month period last year…ZETA HER. This double is a challenge and took me many nights to finally conquer but, last night it was unbelievably easy, I went straight for my 3.5 mm and  was taken aback by a clean split, held there with very little shimmering. Not a peanut shape or a bulge in a ring, a gap (mind you a minuscule one) but a visible one. 

It seems the surprises don’t end this summer as I slowly discover this telescope.  So far the last three nights have been memorable.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Oh yes, I grew up camping in Canada vast wilderness, from one National park to another, my family loved getting away and as a result I would feel totally liberated if I were secluded far from crowds. My dream is to have a small place somewhere away from centers under dark skies where i could have a big dob permanently assembled on wheels.

The good news is that almost the whole of Canada is very dark, the bad news is that many dont like small towns or truly rural areas. Driving home in a white out at night is not for everyone thats for sure. Then theres the bugs...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

The good news is that almost the whole of Canada is very dark, the bad news is that many dont like small towns or truly rural areas. Driving home in a white out at night is not for everyone thats for sure. Then theres the bugs...

You’re not kidding, I’ve had the pleasure of living across this beautiful country and traveled from coast to coast. It’s amazing how the second largest country in the world is populated by a mere 45 million, some 98 percent of which are crowded into a few cities. One can drive for days on end across provinces and run into the odd tiny hamlet here and there. Vast forests and lakes one after the other, I have no idea why there aren’t a thousand dark sky parks in Canada.

• Like 2