Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help on Astronomical/Planetary viewing equipment that is cheap and good please

Hi im new to this forum and website. I have recently downloaded a app that lets me track planets nebulas stars and other things in deep space. Im just a amateur and have a 10x50 binoculars that can barely see planets, i was wondering if any of you people can reccomend me good and cheap binoculars/telescopes or other equipment but mainly binoculars because im a amateur or telescopes that are good for amateurs that can make me see the planets somewhat up close enough that i can see saturns rings or titan in good detail that it dosent seem like dot and big enough to see the rings in good detail something that can make me see up close,that is cheap and good Thanks, Greatly appreciated

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you want something cheap and good you can't really do worse that a Skywatcher Heritage 130p.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

This scope will show you Jupiters cloud bands and the great red spot, plus Saturn's rings, moons and the Cassini division. 

It will also work well on deep sky objects. It is very portable and easily transported to observing sites with darker skies which really helps with the deep sky targets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you want something cheap and good you can't really do worse that a Skywatcher Heritage 130p.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

This scope will show you Jupiters cloud bands and the great red spot, plus Saturn's rings, moons and the Cassini division. 

It will also work well on deep sky objects. It is very portable and easily transported to observing sites with darker skies which really helps with the deep sky targets.

Thanks this is exactly what i was looking for, do you think i will have any trouble with it as a person new to telescopes and, will i have any problems with it? because if no im going to add it to cart

6 minutes ago, TheTeenThatLovesAstronomy said:

Thanks this is exactly what i was looking for, do you think i will have any trouble with it as a person new to telescopes and, will i have any problems with it? because if no im going to add it to cart

If it is within budget and in stock, the heritage 150 is similar but has a bigger aperture, so gathers more light .

I had no problems with it as a beginner when I bought it as my first proper 'scope a year ago. The Heritage (both sizes)  is a basic model (which is why it is cheap ) but a good mirror. There are some diy tweaks to be done with it  search on here and you'll find a lot og help, including an excellent you tube video all about it.

Heather

6 minutes ago, TheTeenThatLovesAstronomy said:

Most scopes will only show Uranus and Neptune as small bluish discs, they look just like stars at low magnifications but at higher magnifications you can tell they are planets. 

Pluto will always look just like a dim star in any amateur telescope. 

Ok 

3 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Most scopes will only show Uranus and Neptune as small bluish discs, they look just like stars at low magnifications but at higher magnifications you can tell they are planets. 

Pluto will always look just like a dim star in any amateur telescope. 

do you know where i can get these scopes? or are they in the box, thanks

Ok people, now i need your help deciding between the

and the

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-150p-flextube-virtuoso-gti.html

im looking for a easy to handle and one that can zoom far enough to see the rings of jupiter and to see the saturn rings and cassini division in good detail thanks

Edited by TheTeenThatLovesAstronomy

If you ajve the money I'd go for the 150p Virtuoso. The goto functionality will really help you find things in the sky, and the motorised tracking helps alot when viewing the planets and the moon at high magnifications. 

I recommend you pick up a cheshire sight tube as well to align the mirrors (something that needs to be done every now and then to maintain the sharpest views). https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/astro-essentials-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html 

Id also pick up a couple of nicer eyepieces, the ones they come with are OK but not great. The included 25mm is not bad for wide field views. For higher power views in get couple of these ones, maybe a 12mm and a 8mm, and also the 2x barlow (which doubles the magnifications of any eyepiece used with it). You would then have 25mm, 12mm, 8mm, 6mm (12mm and barlow), 4mm (8mm and barlow).https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html

Edited by CraigT82

1 minute ago, TheTeenThatLovesAstronomy said:

i am in Australia but is it okay if i dont buy it from there?

I imagine the shipping costs from the UK will be expensive. Also, these are delicate scientific instruments, what if you need to return it under warranty? There might also be customs or import duties to pay. It will take weeks or even months to arrive.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheTeenThatLovesAstronomy said:

Ok people, now i need your help deciding between the

and the

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-150p-flextube-virtuoso-gti.html

im looking for a easy to handle and one that can zoom far enough to see the rings of jupiter and to see the saturn rings and cassini division in good detail thanks

Slow down there, don't rush into something  without doing lots of research. 

Enthusiasm is great, but you can end up  buying the wrong thing very easily. There is a load of information to be found online, especially about the 130 heritage under the  name of a version of it in the USA  'one sky newtonian', look it up.

You have a manual 130mm 'scope,  and a 150mm 'virtuoso model twice the price in mind. The latter needs 8 AA batteries or a powertank or other external power supply for the electronics to work. Extra cost and weight .

All the heritage models are tabletop dobsonians too ... you need to raise them off the ground by around 60cm . If you have the storage space, a classic 150 dob might suit you better.

Is there a local  asttronomy group you can get in touch with,  where you could maybe see some 'scopes in action ?

Edited by Tiny Clanger
FFS aka fat finger syndrome
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Astro Noodles said:

I imagine the shipping costs from the UK will be expensive. Also, these are delicate scientific instruments, what if you need to return it under warranty? There might also be customs or import duties to pay. It will take weeks or even months to arrive.

well then do you know where to get the skywatcher 150p virtuoso, and the 3 eyepeices i need which include a 8mm and a 12 mm and a 2x barlow in an australian retailer?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Enthusiasm is great, but you can end up  buying the wrong thing very easily. There is a load of information to be found online, especially about the 130 heritage under the  name of a version of it in the USA  'one sky newtonian', look it up.

You have a manual 130mm 'scope,  and a 150mm 'virtuoso model twice the price in mind. The latter needs 8 AA batteries or a powertank or other external power supply for the electronics to work. Extra cost and weight .

All the heritage models are tabletop dobsonians too ... you need to raise them off the ground by around 60cm . If you have the storage space, a classic 150 dob might suit you better.

Is there a local  asttronomy group you can get in touch with,  where you could maybe see some 'scopes in action ?

no i dont know any astronomy groups, are you reccomending me the 130p heritage?, and if i get that can i get extra eye pieces for them? and what is a 150 dob, can you give me some info on that? thanks

7 minutes ago, TheTeenThatLovesAstronomy said:

no i dont know any astronomy groups, are you reccomending me the 130p heritage?, and if i get that can i get extra eye pieces for them?

I'm recommending you pause and do some research before buying anything at all.

There is a vast range of choices, no telescope is  perfect,  which is best for you depends on what you want to observe , how much light pollution you have, how large a telescope you can store, how  heavy a device you can carry, where you can observe from , if you want to take it away to darker skies or not, and plenty of other factors. What would work in big back garden in the middle of nowhere is nothing like a good suggestion for a telescope for use on a suburban apartment's balcony. There is no way someone can say what is right for you without knowing a lot more.

Reading this https://www.astroshop.eu/advice/telescope/telescope-knowledge/ebook-download/c,9154 would give you some basics on telescopes and help  you understand the terminology.

Lots to read here https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/buyers-guides/

And this thread will help explain what is possible

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

• Like 7

Tend to agree with Tiny Clanger, slow down. There are lots of scopes and being honest each has there plus points and their negatives. You won't get told the negatives, but the negatives can make whatever almost useless. Be very careful of the aperture is everything trap. Good quality aperture is good and good quality aperture costs. Otherwise a 200mm spherical mirror would be preferable to a 150mm parabolic. And I would hope that everyone knows otherwise.

I think at least one suggested is termed a table top scope. Consider that yes it is nice and small and the eyepiece would be about a meter off the ground. Throw in that in effect no scope delivers the often stated magnifications. So if you think a 130 will give 260x then you are way out.

Do you want a mount that tracks the objects? A$1500 should get a mount+scope combination but I suggest that you pick the 2 items. Not a package.

Where are you in Aus ?? Location will possibly help in identifing a potential club nearby. Although most of Aus has, I gather, returned to a strict lockdown. So an available club could be difficult.

In I suppose general avoid a fast scope, they are hard work. Reflector or refractor variety. A nice slow one is going to be preferable. Thinking around f/8 here.

I would suggest something small, easy and inexpensive. I have a Skywatcher Az GTi with a Skywatcher 72ED. Now that will likely give me 100x and that is boarder line for Saturn which I find 120x is required for and a fairly good 120x. So maybe not for Saturn, although close. An 80ED will go on a Az GTi but overall cost jumps.

My 72+Az sits at around £800, maybe a bit less, not much however. That is Almost exactly A$1500. Nice small setup but maybe doesn't come to the expectations. Also Aus has some high import duties if I recall.

If you opt for a dobsonian maybe consider the 150 that if f/8 so 1200mm focal length.

And throw in that whatever you get, add in a few eyepieces, and the 72ED needs a 2" diagonal as it doesn't come with one as standard. Well mine didn't. Check retailers for used equipment, one might have something. Have you found "iceinspace" ? Think that is the name - Aus based astronomy forum and may therefore have used equipment for sale.

• Like 2

For me, this is probably the most important link that Tiny Clanger has given you:  https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

As Craig said about the 130p - "This scope will show you Jupiters cloud bands and the great red spot, plus Saturn's rings, moons and the Cassini division." 

He's right. I've seen them with smaller scopes and larger scopes than that one. BUT, they aint going to be big and detailed and colourful, or anything like the pictures in the books, or what you'll find on here. Taking images of planets (or any astro object) is a very different game to visual astronomy. None of us want to put you off astronomy, it's a fantastic hobby and you'll remember the first time you see Saturn's rings for the rest of your life, we're just trying to make sure you don't buy loads of kit, and then be disappointed when what you see doesn't match your expectations.

You might be new to this, but you've got a lot of experienced people in your corner who can help you get the very best from this hobby.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PEMS said:

Tend to agree with Tiny Clanger, slow down. There are lots of scopes and being honest each has there plus points and their negatives. You won't get told the negatives, but the negatives can make whatever almost useless. Be very careful of the aperture is everything trap. Good quality aperture is good and good quality aperture costs. Otherwise a 200mm spherical mirror would be preferable to a 150mm parabolic. And I would hope that everyone knows otherwise.

I think at least one suggested is termed a table top scope. Consider that yes it is nice and small and the eyepiece would be about a meter off the ground. Throw in that in effect no scope delivers the often stated magnifications. So if you think a 130 will give 260x then you are way out.

Do you want a mount that tracks the objects? A$1500 should get a mount+scope combination but I suggest that you pick the 2 items. Not a package.

Where are you in Aus ?? Location will possibly help in identifing a potential club nearby. Although most of Aus has, I gather, returned to a strict lockdown. So an available club could be difficult.

In I suppose general avoid a fast scope, they are hard work. Reflector or refractor variety. A nice slow one is going to be preferable. Thinking around f/8 here.

I would suggest something small, easy and inexpensive. I have a Skywatcher Az GTi with a Skywatcher 72ED. Now that will likely give me 100x and that is boarder line for Saturn which I find 120x is required for and a fairly good 120x. So maybe not for Saturn, although close. An 80ED will go on a Az GTi but overall cost jumps.

My 72+Az sits at around £800, maybe a bit less, not much however. That is Almost exactly A$1500. Nice small setup but maybe doesn't come to the expectations. Also Aus has some high import duties if I recall.

If you opt for a dobsonian maybe consider the 150 that if f/8 so 1200mm focal length.

And throw in that whatever you get, add in a few eyepieces, and the 72ED needs a 2" diagonal as it doesn't come with one as standard. Well mine didn't. Check retailers for used equipment, one might have something. Have you found "iceinspace" ? Think that is the name - Aus based astronomy forum and may therefore have used equipment for sale.

im sorry but i dont know most of terms you are using, and i get what your trying to say, but can you give me a overall summary of what your tyring to say. and i live in QLD brisbane, i will do my studies on telescopes but can you tell me what telescope your trying to reccomend me?

Hi,

I see Brisbane has an astronomical society and is on Facebook. I would strongly suggest you look them up and see if they are still having telescope meetings. Then perhaps, you can attend one of these meetings and see what all this is about.

Actually there’s a meeting coming up on the 14th for beginners at Tingalpa aero modelling club.

Getting your hands on your first telescope is an exciting time just be sure it’s the one for you. Also look into what eyepieces and accessories you need to go with that telescope so you can enjoy what it is you want to observe.

I’d personally go for a slower scope with a high F value if you want to get up close to the planets and the Moon, any f8 and above should bring them in closer, but it will need understanding what eyepieces are needed as well. Please keep asking the questions, there’s a whole world of answers on this forum.

clear skies,

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, TheTeenThatLovesAstronomy said:

Hi im new to this forum and website. I have recently downloaded a app that lets me track planets nebulas stars and other things in deep space. Im just a amateur and have a 10x50 binoculars that can barely see planets, i was wondering if any of you people can reccomend me good and cheap binoculars/telescopes or other equipment but mainly binoculars because im a amateur or telescopes that are good for amateurs that can make me see the planets somewhat up close enough that i can see saturns rings or titan in good detail that it dosent seem like dot and big enough to see the rings in good detail something that can make me see up close,that is cheap and good Thanks, Greatly appreciated

G'day, mate! You did not get the answers you need. First of all you need to find an Australian retailer to buy your telescope from. They will be able to help you with customer support, and they will stand behind their products. 

SECOND: You need to do some background reading. This is like buying a car: sports car, van, 4-cylinder or 6, long drives or short commutes? Go to your local library or visit bookstores (used books, especially), and visit more than one of these discussion boards.  Read and ask questions. On one of the boards that I visit one of the Moderators, one of the leaders, just asked for help buying their first telescope. This is not something to jump into. 

The telescope that everyone wants you to buy -- spending your money for you -- requires frequent maintenance. You have to adjust it periodically. That's why they told you to get a "Cheshire." It is an alignment tool. But not every telescope needs that, only REFLECTORS with mirrors. The other kind, are REFRACTORS with lenses. They also need adjustment, like anything else in life, but not as nearly often, and maybe never as long as you own your telescope. And when you do need to align a lens system,  you usually take to the shop and have an expert do it.  

You got hit with a lot of buzzwords about "aperture" and "Dobs" and "fast" telescopes.  Without getting too technical right now, a telescope is a SYSTEM: 1. A main lens or mirror in a tube. 2. A tripod and mount 3. Eyepieces. Having one eyepiece is like having a car with one gear. It works... sort of ....  And when you listen to them talk among themselves, they all admit that the MOUNT and TRIPOD are as important as the telescope itself.  That's why I recommended that you visit the websites and the stores of retailers in Queensland and near Brisbane.  You need to do some window shopping in order to gain the knowledge you need to make a good choice.  Finally, if you fall in love with the hobby as we all have, your first telescope will not be your last. 

19 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

It all depends on the seeing conditions. The Cassini division and the Great Red Spot are not guaranteed sights.  You did not ask if the person lives in the city or suburbs or country. A reflector needs collimation. Can the person asking actually do that? You think it is easy. I found it difficult and abandoned reflectors for refractors. The questioner asked about what they knew to ask about (planets) because living in Australia, they take the Magellanic Clouds for granted.  A small refractor might be just the ticket. We do not know.

19 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

If it is within budget and in stock, the heritage 150 is similar but has a bigger aperture, so gathers more light .

I had no problems with it as a beginner when I bought it as my first proper 'scope a year ago. The Heritage (both sizes)  is a basic model (which is why it is cheap ) but a good mirror. There are some diy tweaks to be done with it  search on here and you'll find a lot og help, including an excellent you tube video all about it.

Heather

You gave some sound advice, Heather, no doubt about that. In this case, for myself, I hear warning bells when someone says "that's what I did." Is that cognitive dissonance? Are you justifiying a decision that you cannot change? I would not recommend the first telescope I bought. It was a mistake. And it was very similar to the one you recommended. Maybe it would be OK. Asking more questions might suggest some alternatives.

19 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

In that case this one with goto easily falls in your budget, but you need a smart phone or tablet to control the goto part.

So, it is hard to use. And it has come from the UK. The person asking is in Oz, mate. Maybe they have a tablet. Maybe they do not want to use their phone for this.  It would help to find out more about the person's context.

18 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

You gave the right advice: slow down. Then you buried the person in buzzwords and jargon. The last line is salient advice, probably the best way to start the conversation. 

17 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I'm recommending you pause and do some research before buying anything at all. ... There is no way someone can say what is right for you without knowing a lot more.

Reading this ... Lots to read here ... And this thread will help explain what is possible... 

All good points. 

14 hours ago, PEMS said:

You won't get told the negatives, but the negatives can make whatever almost useless. ... aperture ...spherical mirror.... parabolic. And I would hope that everyone knows otherwise. ... ... if you think a 130 will give 260x then you are way out. ... Do you want a mount that tracks the objects? A$1500 should get a mount+scope combination but I suggest that you pick the 2 items. Not a package. 

...  a fast scope ... A nice slow one ... f/8 ... I have a Skywatcher Az GTi with a Skywatcher 72ED. Now that will likely give me 100x ... An 80ED will go on a Az GTi ... Also Aus has some high import duties ... a dobsonian maybe consider the 150 that if f/8 so 1200mm focal length. ...  a 2" diagonal ... Have you found "iceinspace" ? Think that is the name - Aus based astronomy forum and may therefore have used equipment for sale.

And when told the negatives they will be incomprehensible. You do not realize that you are speaking a foreign language. Fast ... slow... spherical... parabolic... f/8 ... diagonal. 

The one thing you said that could help was "iceinspace" and I was able to find it:  https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/index.php

1007001332_iceinspace1.thumb.jpg.a2fb9e3d405deadbe3425986c2d1cb7c.jpg

2 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

I see Brisbane has an astronomical society and is on Facebook. I would strongly suggest you look them up and see if they are still having telescope meetings. ... I’d personally go for a slower scope with a high F value ... 

You were doing so well. And then you fell into jargon. But you were not alone in that. 

Edited by mikemarotta
fix typos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Lastly I'll add a consideration to keep in mind is what ever you do choose has to be stored somewhere and if storage is up stairs and it's a chore getting the telescope you choose outside it may not get used. Time spent now learning more is worth it.

1 hour ago, mikemarotta said:

G'day, mate! You did not get the answers you need. First of all you need to find an Australian retailer to buy your telescope from. They will be able to help you with customer support, and they will stand behind their products. 

SECOND: You need to do some background reading. This is like buying a car: sports car, van, 4-cylinder or 6, long drives or short commutes? Go to your local library or visit bookstores (used books, especially), and visit more than one of these discussion boards.  Read and ask questions. On one of the boards that I visit one of the Moderators, one of the leaders, just asked for help buying their first telescope. This is not something to jump into. 

The telescope that everyone wants you to buy -- spending your money for you -- requires frequent maintenance. You have to adjust it periodically. That's why they told you to get a "Cheshire." It is an alignment tool. But not every telescope needs that, only REFLECTORS with mirrors. The other kind, are REFRACTORS with lenses. They also need adjustment, like anything else in life, but not as nearly often, and maybe never as long as you own your telescope. And when you do need to align a lens system,  you usually take to the shop and have an expert do it.  

You got hit with a lot of buzzwords about "aperture" and "Dobs" and "fast" telescopes.  Without getting too technical right now, a telescope is a SYSTEM: 1. A main lens or mirror in a tube. 2. A tripod and mount 3. Eyepieces. Having one eyepiece is like having a car with one gear. It works... sort of ....  And when you listen to them talk among themselves, they all admit that the MOUNT and TRIPOD are as important as the telescope itself.  That's why I recommended that you visit the websites and the stores of retailers in Queensland and near Brisbane.  You need to do some window shopping in order to gain the knowledge you need to make a good choice.  Finally, if you fall in love with the hobby as we all have, your first telescope will not be your last. 

It all depends on the seeing conditions. The Cassini division and the Great Red Spot are not guaranteed sights.  You did not ask if the person lives in the city or suburbs or country. A reflector needs collimation. Can the person asking actually do that? You think it is easy. I found it difficult and abandoned reflectors for refractors. The questioner asked about what they knew to ask about (planets) because living in Australia, they take the Magellanic Clouds for granted.  A small refractor might be just the ticket. We do not know.

You gave some sound advice, Heather, no doubt about that. In this case, for myself, I hear warning bells when someone says "that's what I did." Is that cognitive dissonance? Are you justifiying a decision that you cannot change? I would not recommend the first telescope I bought. It was a mistake. And it was very similar to the one you recommended. Maybe it would be OK. Asking more questions might suggest some alternatives.

So, it is hard to use. And it has come from the UK. The person asking is in Oz, mate. Maybe they have a tablet. Maybe they do not want to use their phone for this.  It would help to find out more about the person's context.

You gave the right advice: slow down. Then you buried the person in buzzwords and jargon. The last line is salient advice, probably the best way to start the conversation. 

All good points. 

And when told the negatives they will be incomprehensible. You do not realize that you are speaking a foreign language. Fast ... slow... spherical... parabolic... f/8 ... diagonal. 

The one thing you said that could help was "iceinspace" and I was able to find it:  https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/index.php

1007001332_iceinspace1.thumb.jpg.a2fb9e3d405deadbe3425986c2d1cb7c.jpg

You were doing so well. And then you fell into jargon. But you were not alone in that. 

I'm not sure that it is helpful to critique the responses that folks are giving here like this Mike :icon_scratch:

By all means post your own advice in your own style for the original poster but others should be free to post what and how they like I think.

All the responses are well intentioned I'm sure :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Like 10