Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It’s arrived! (30lbs, 13.8oz)

Sorry, couldn’t resist the terrible clickbait-styled title for this one…

After 5 months of being on the waiting list, fun and games with the pricing and a very long drive to Newcastle under Lyme, I have just received my VX12!

It’s all slightly ironic as just over two weeks ago I was contacting Orion Optics UK about their new website prices and requesting to cancel the order (feeling somewhat disheartened by the VX range’s sudden drop in price). Orion Optics confirmed that there had been a pricing error with their new website which was being addressed this week. They also promised that my scope was nearly ready… which I am delighted to confirm was indeed the case.

For those not familiar with the VX12, it has a 12” primary which I have opted to upgrade to 1/10 grade. It’s also a very fast scope with a focal ratio of f4 and a focal length of 1200mm. f4 should be ideal for lower power / brighter views of large objects such as the veil etc and I am very excited for these. The weight is around 14kg / 30.8lbs. Not that it hugely significant, but it’s also nice to know that the scope was made in the UK (supporting UK manufacturing). 

Although zygo numbers need to be backed up by some time spent at the eyepiece, the strehl score is 0.990, PV wavefront is 0.101 and RMS shows 0.015 … I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the mirror hasn’t been fixed too tightly to the spider and can really deliver great views. One issue is the absence of a paracorr - definitely something I need to purchase ASAP.

For the first time in a decade I have been without any scopes since the start of the new year - having sold both my refractor and dob towards purchasing this scope. My intention was to buy something that would become a permanent resident in the ‘astro gear collection’ and see me through for many many years to come. Initially I ordered a VX14, but having seen the 14” OTA in person yesterday, I am pleased that I amended the order to a VX12. I’m sure the views afforded by the 14” are just breathtaking, but -on reflection- it would have been too big for me to handle which, in turn, would have resulted in less usage. The VX12 is also much lighter than the equivalent sized Chinese optics. I have previously owned (at different times) a Skywatcher 300p Flextube, 12” Meade lightbridge and, until recently, an Explore Scientific 12” Utlralight. The VX12 is much lighter and more easily repositioned than these other 12” dobs. Having now built it up and moved the OTA and rocker around, I am optimistic about this scope’s portability and very much look forward to some quality time spent at the eyepiece again.

As is tradition with these things, the sky is forecast to be riddled with cloud cover for the next few days. I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed for next week along with the new moon. 

… now where did I put those eyepieces 5 months ago?

Rob

805D6B9B-C365-41F7-9464-155FD64BDE4B.jpeg

ACDA11F8-8E41-4100-BC27-BF488D4CEAA1.jpeg

222B48EC-4E2F-4A14-8FA9-74AFB93AE9F3.jpeg

C9E3C9B4-EF55-4488-BF4A-F6A155CC6A1A.jpeg

2C282D0F-69C4-48DB-AB90-EBCF9AE2BBFA.jpeg

010C40B4-E790-478A-BE79-2B3640FA67FD.jpeg

131B5D9B-E696-4545-960C-1E98CC23F221.jpeg

E0FEDF0C-44CD-47A8-95AB-A4D38AB1239E.jpeg

43FEA3F6-95DD-470E-8D9F-2B5D0F258A18.jpeg

7AD1ADC5-F989-4BB1-8D4C-CB59E83CD2A8.jpeg

Edited by Rob_UK_SE
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Wow, shes a beauty, but must mean a month of cloud and rain before you can use it 🙂 

Steve

Your not far from the truth about the weather:

22E3E73F-EDE4-42A6-BC36-EA08B82D0F1D.thumb.jpeg.bb0ffdf13cee4aafe59b8c7cbd693539.jpeg

… this is the view from our front door right now!

Rob

• Sad 1

Just now, johninderby said:

Think the prices shown are ex vat and the price including vat is only shown when added to the basket. 

OO certainly seem to running a full capacity filling orders..🤔

Yes, clearly states VAT is on top, has been like that for yonks with OO, but OP mentions an error. Wondering what error.

15 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Yes, clearly states VAT is on top, has been like that for yonks with OO, but OP mentions an error. Wondering what error.

I think it relates to this post Jeremy….

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

That is one cracking scope!
Odd about the OO website prices. Are they still wrong then? I don’t suppose they are wrong as in too high 🤣

Two weeks ago the price of a VX12 (Inc. VAT) was showing as £500 less than before. A VX14 was listed at £800 less than before (again inclusive of VAT) and was priced at just over £2200. This came as a shock given that it was only a small amount above the regular price of a 1/10 grade VX12 dob (the VX14 is normally listed at just under £3000). For this reason I wasn’t particularly happy.

The pricing errors were due to the launch of their new website. The prices are now correct and the VX12 with upgrades matches the amount I paid back in March 2021.

I don’t know whether anyone placed orders during that time, but they certainly got a bargain if Orion Optics UK honoured their incorrect prices! 

Rob

Edited by Rob_UK_SE
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Excellent scope Rob, and you will love it.  I too have the f5.3,  Strehl  0 .987,  PV  wavefront 0.116

1 hour ago, John said:

Congratulations :icon_biggrin:

You have the shorter version of the F/5.3 that I have. Excellent scope !

Two very lovely scopes. 😀

It’s interesting that the VX12L appears to be a little more popular. I did wonder whether there might be improved planetary contrast due to its smaller secondary obstruction?

Ultimately, I chose the faster scope to accommodate larger DSOs (based on my current eyepiece selection and spacing) as this may well be my only scope for quite some time. I also liked the idea of a slightly reduced weight (14kg vs 16kg). It might, however, take a little while to get used to the lower height of the focuser when observing near the zenith.

… I need to find and blow the dust off that observing chair too!

Rob

Edited by Rob_UK_SE
  • Like 2