Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

N.I.N.A - imaging

Hi I have Starlight xpress H674 mono connected to my s.w. refractor  the trouble I  go too take a 10 sec exposure  I get  a black screen looks like the settings are a bit out. Does anyone who's using nina  know how to get the stars shown?

Think there maybe an auto stretch button on the top bar of the image tab towards right hand side, this is for previewing your images and doesn't save/alter your saved image, I always had that turned on. Maybe it will help

Like others say, focus on a far way lamp post of chimney etc during the day. That'll get you close enough. Otherwise I often find that a guide scope or red dot finder is helpful when setting up a brand new scope. 

On 18/07/2021 at 13:17, david_taurus83 said:

What scope are you using? Whatever the focal length is, try measuring from the optics down the tube to where your sensor is. It should be roughly the same as the focal length.

It's a skywatcher 80 ed pro with a focal length of 600mm and a focal reducer bringing the focal length to 510mm

12 minutes ago, Anne S said:

Have you power going to the camera? You get black if you haven't.

I get a msg on nina saying camera connected and when I go to the camera tab the camera profile (chip size/ pixel size) are shown. As I found out with apt if no power to cam the software cannot connect.

2 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Silly question perhaps but how are you taking an image? Theres a live view function which is a bit flakey, and also a snap shot button which you can set to loop.

Not a silly question, but what the difference between the two. I assume that the snap shot is the one used for plate solving.

13 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Live View is supposed to be like the live view on a DSLR but it's not great in NINA. You better off to set an exposure time, 10s for example, and make sure the loop tab is selected.

Yes my understanding is that liveview is effectively video standard. 

1 hour ago, mark skelton said:

Not a silly question, but what the difference between the two. I assume that the snap shot is the one used for plate solving.

So I wonder what method you are using? Yo could set a sequence, but thats the only other method I know.

39 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Live View is supposed to be like the live view on a DSLR but it's not great in NINA. You better off to set an exposure time, 10s for example, and make sure the loop tab is selected.

next time I get chance to to connect to the equipment I'll give the loop  selected

On 18/07/2021 at 10:54, dark knight said:

Think there maybe an auto stretch button on the top bar of the image tab towards right hand side, this is for previewing your images and doesn't save/alter your saved image, I always had that turned on. Maybe it will help

It's turned on so is the star detection next to it

Well that's progress I suppose. Is it something to do with the driver? 

Do you need to download a driver maybe? I think for some cameras which the imaging software doesn't recognise you need to use the ASCOM driver option.  

1 hour ago, Tommohawk said:

1 hour ago, Tommohawk said:

Well that's progress I suppose. Is it something to do with the driver? 

Do you need to download a driver maybe? I think for some cameras which the imaging software doesn't recognise you need to use the ASCOM driver option.  

got the latest driver for the camera and my laptop does meet the requirement