Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASIair - problems with initial set up!

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I think he's getting past that, just can't get it to connect to WiFi.

Dave

No I couldn’t either with the original battery. At the time I then tried with 8 AA batteries in a holder and then I could.

All indications were that it was powered but I couldn’t connect, until I changed the power source. Might not be anything to do with @johnsts problem but I thought I’d just mention it in case.

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1

AT LAST, getting somewhere, and you folk have been a great help. Had daughter in law (in my bubble) call and she checked my phone and apparently it requires a firmware update which refuses to upload. Meanwhile she managed to update something on my wife's tablet and make it connect to the ASIair, so basically it proves that the ASIair itself is ok. She also has an old Huwaeii tablet that she is going to let me have and she will put the app on for me. Don't really want to use my wife's tablet in case I have an accident down the garden. 

While I was on the next page on the app it asks for the mount used and noticed there was no Star Adventurer, do you put an alternative in?

Regarding my battery power, I use a LiFePO4 240Wh made by Swarey as discussed in a previous thread, so that is ok. If I want more info regarding the ASIair which thread do I put it on?

Thanks for all the help from you guys.

John

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnst said:

While I was on the next page on the app it asks for the mount used and noticed there was no Star Adventurer, do you put an alternative in?

Be interested to here more on this, I use the iOptron Skyguider Pro and this is not on the dropdown selection?

1 hour ago, johnst said:

Don't think it will work unless it's an EQ mount driven on both axes which it needs to polar align, plate solve etc.

Dave

1 hour ago, johnst said:

AT LAST, getting somewhere, and you folk have been a great help. Had daughter in law (in my bubble) call and she checked my phone and apparently it requires a firmware update which refuses to upload. Meanwhile she managed to update something on my wife's tablet and make it connect to the ASIair, so basically it proves that the ASIair itself is ok. She also has an old Huwaeii tablet that she is going to let me have and she will put the app on for me. Don't really want to use my wife's tablet in case I have an accident down the garden. 

Regarding my battery power, I use a LiFePO4 240Wh made by Swarey as discussed in a previous thread, so that is ok. If I want more info regarding the ASIair which thread do I put it on?

John

Hi for the Star Adventurer you select “on camera St4” 

Make sure you choose right ascension only in the guiding setting.

15 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Don't think it will work unless it's an EQ mount driven on both axes which it needs to polar align, plate solve etc.

Dave

Hi again, I started using the Asiair pro with the Star Aventurer before I bought my current mount.

The Polar Align is the same procedure as normal except you move the mount manually. In the PA routine it takes a pic and plate solves as normal. When required to rotate it 60° you release the clutches and turn it yourself. Then use the manual right ascension knobs and altitude to adjust until you’re polar aligned.

I found you have to lock it thoroughly and treat it with kid gloves when moving it afterwards so as not to knock it out of alignment, but it’s a vast improvement than it was before I used the Asiair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnst said:

John

6 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Hi again, I started using the Asiair pro with the Star Aventurer before I bought my current mount.

The Polar Align is the same procedure as normal except you move the mount manually. In the PA routine it takes a pic and plate solves as normal. When required to rotate it 60° you release the clutches and turn it yourself. Then use the manual right ascension knobs and altitude to adjust until you’re polar aligned.

I found you have to lock it thoroughly and treat it with kid gloves when moving it afterwards so as not to knock it out of alignment, but it’s a vast improvement than it was before I used the Asiair. 

The other thing, which is quite important, when you first enter the Polar Align routine it will tell you the mount isn’t connected, or it used too. If so, there’s a “skip it option” or alternatively you select the “demonstration mount” for this bit. This caused me quite a headache until I found out. 

Once you’ve polar aligned, for the star adventurer  you select “on camera st4” ( and right ascension only in the settings) if you want to guide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scooot said:

Hi for the Star Adventurer you select “on camera St4” 

Make sure you choose right ascension only in the guiding setting.

interesting 😄

17 minutes ago, JemC said:

interesting 😄

Ha ha, yes it’s not as good as guiding in both axis but at 355mm I could then achieve 5 minutes sometimes. 

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Ha ha, yes it’s not as good as guiding in both axis but at 355mm I could then achieve 5 minutes sometimes. 

This was 5 minutes guiding in right ascension only on the star adventurer using the Asiair with my Canon 450D. However I’d had unsuccessful attempts as well because I think I hadn’t locked everything properly or knocked it.

AA655675-FEB7-4AE9-96FC-27DCD842AE9A.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, seems as though there's a lot more to go through now that I've made contact. Hopefully the tablet that I am going to get will be ok and connect up ok. At least my wife's iPad connects up ok.😉

• Like 2

Hi all, got my second hand Huawei tablet last night with the ASIair app already on - forgot to put the password in at first BUT - it works. Put a few bits in and partly set up. I also phoned EE up again yesterday and apparently either my phone doesn't like the app or the app doesn't like my phone, he tried to get me onto a new phone and contract but I'm happy with the tablet. Also had a look at the moon with my home made 6" dobsonian using my 24mm panoptic - gorgeous views!

IMG_20210519_235844206.jpg

On 14/05/2021 at 12:28, johnst said:

Hi all,

Just got the ASIair pro bundle from FLO the other day and trying to connect up. Have read that wifi can be an issue and I find that in my setting on my phone it says that the ASIair is 'Connected, no Internet'. It could be that I'm doing something basically wrong as I'm doing this in the house where I've got internet everywhere! I have read about possibly needing a Vonets WiFi Extender but not sure if this will sort it. Btw, on the ASIair itself the power light is on and the wifi light is on but the card light is off, it goes on after initially putting the card in, not sure if that is ok,  just looking for any issue I can spot.

Hope someone can help out cos it's very frustrating at the mo!

Cheers,

John 

If you are following the setup instructions to connect to the ASIAIR_xxxxxxxxxx WiFi, you will not have an “internet” connect.

The problem with modern domestic devices such as phones and tablets is that they assume you want to connect to the “internet” and not to a private wireless network which is what your ASIAIR provides.

You can ignore the “no internet connection” at this stage.

Power on the ASIAIR

Open the ASIAIR app, following the instructions you basically go to the wireless configuration screen on your device and select the ASIAIT_xxxxxxxx network, return to the app and follow the instruction on screen - it should just connect to the ASIAIR.

The ASIAIR WiFi is range limited - ZWO suggest a particular WiFi extended you can connect, sold by FLO.

I have no experience of that device.

Yes, I know what you mean, it's a Vonets WiFi extender and FLO do have them but I think I'm going to purchase an L bracket first, it may be that my signal is ok, don't know until I give it a go. Thanks anyway.

John 

any extender works. I have a 10 quid one mounted on my tripod. ethernet connected the asiair. and extender linked to my home wifi.

thus, tablet connects to any of your home wifi or extender APs, and can connect to asiair. AND has internet access always as well as no range issues. there are other ways to skin the cat, but this way means no need to use the asi wifi at all.

• Like 1