SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASIair - problems with initial set up!

No, I haven't taken it out when it's been switched on - only when it's off but I'll try to copy it over the weekend. I'm still trying to get my phone to recognise the ASIair pro. Unfortunately when I went down to my observatory earlier tonight I've mislaid my keys so can't get in - that's to my shed as well so double disaster!!

35 minutes ago, johnst said:

I'm still trying to get my phone to recognise the Asiair pro.

Make sure WiFi is turned on in settings on your phone, the WiFi signal is pretty poor on the Asiair, I use an iPad and if I move it more than a couple of yards from the Asiair it loses the signal, also drops signal if phone decides to go to sleep.

Dave

The usb stick (64gb) that comes with it is just external storage. So unless you are planning on saving the images to that when imaging you can leave it out.

When switching the asiair on does it beep after a few seconds.

No, I don't think it does, I've tried again this morning using your method you described last night and no joy. I have also phoned the chap on EE and had a discussion with him and he says the signal is ok, fortunately he is a amateur astronomer from Ireland and was most helpful so went on WZO's website and noticed that there is issues with some android phones but doesn't know what. He also said there may be an issue with the app!! and there may be a fault with the ASIair. I may e-mail FLO on Monday morning to suggest returning it - I do still have the packaging unless you guys can suggest anything else. 

Cheers for all you've done so far.

John 

2 hours ago, johnst said:

No, I don't think it does, I've tried again this morning using your method you described last night and no joy. I have also phoned the chap on EE and had a discussion with him and he says the signal is ok, fortunately he is a amateur astronomer from Ireland and was most helpful so went on WZO's website and noticed that there is issues with some android phones but doesn't know what. He also said there may be an issue with the app!! and there may be a fault with the ASIair. I may e-mail FLO on Monday morning to suggest returning it - I do still have the packaging unless you guys can suggest anything else. 

Cheers for all you've done so far.

John 

Your EE phone signal has no effect when using the asiair (unless internally something is wrong with the WiFi). The asiair should beep after a few seconds(about 10 seconds) to alert you it has booted the operating system up.

Sorry, didn't explain very well -  he said my phone was picking up the WiFi from the ASIair ok and that as far as he could tell I had done things correctly. I've since took the app off my phone and going to reinstall it shortly. I'm also going to try my wife's tablet (I've already installed the ASIair app on it) to see if it works with a modern tablet - it's only a few months old, process of elimination I think it's called.

5 hours ago, Chefgage said:

The usb stick (64gb) that comes with it is just external storage. So unless you are planning on saving the images to that when imaging you can leave it out.

Much better to have it inserted and save to it otherwise it will save to the SD card and you don't want to be removing that to download images as it's a bit delicate.

Dave

28 minutes ago, johnst said:

I'm also going to try my wife's tablet (I've already installed the ASIair app on it) to see if it works with a modern tablet - it's only a few months old, process of elimination I think it's called.

Very good idea, if it refuses to work with more than one device it could be faulty especially if it doesn't beep.

I had a problem with mine when it was new and FLO offered to replace it but I managed to sort it ( operator error ) 😄

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Good point Dave, although I haven't got that far yet. Not sure whether it bleeped or not - think i was sinking fast last night!! Going to try with tablet shortly 🤨

John 

• Like 1

When using the app on my phone (Pixel 5) i have always had to switch off the mobile network or mobile data and it then works.  If i leave both mobile and wifi switched on i can never connect to the Asiair.

First of all the asiair does bleep for about 3 secs approx 15 secs after switching on. Also, is the card light supposed to be on all the time because it just flickers and I've noticed that the asiair gets warm, is that normal?  I've just tried my wife's tablet and it does just the same, I try the scan put in the IP no and it doesn't connect. Looks like I'm going to e-mail FLO Monday morning, oh dear!    

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Much better to have it inserted and save to it otherwise it will save to the SD card and you don't want to be removing that to download images as it's a bit delicate.

Dave

No quite true. Depends on what you are imaging with. If you are using a DSLR you can still save to the DSLR SD card and not to the asiair.

On my ASIair Pro using an Android tablet I get the following:

Switch to internet settings on Android tablet. Once booted the ASI Pro comes up on the internet of the tablet as "ASIair Saved, encrypted (no internet access)I

Press it to connect then open the ASIair app on the tablet

Notice at top says "ASIair service is running" whilst app is booting

App opens but shortly after I get message "Current wifi network cannot access the internet. Switch to another network?" "CANCEL SWITCH."

Just press "CANCEL" and it all works: carry on

G

This is how it shows up on my iPad in list of available networks then just click on it and it replaces the home network at the top.

Sounds more complicated on Android.

Dave

ASIAIR-WiFi.png.aed2ca14025b7a0fffecb2d9781ca31e.png

Can you explain a little simpler GrampyG please, have been down to try again and earlier with no luck. Have sent a message to ZWO for advice. I've also looked at Peter Zelenko's video regarding Android do have a glitch, he mentions putting airplane mode on and then back off again, not really sure what he means! I think it's my age!!  

Hi John.

How far are you away from the ASIAir when you try to connect with your phone? As others have mentioned the WiFi on the ASI isn't the best. Boot up the ASIAir until it beeps. Give it another short moment and then go to your phones WiFi settings. Ive never had the make phone you are using but there should be an 'available networks' section which in theory should automatically find the ASI's network. Or you may have a button on the phone screen where you can manually trigger the phone to search for new networks?

If that doesn't work it may be the android issue you mention or indeed an issue with the ASI's internal WiFi card.

Is your wife's tablet an android also? Can you get access to or borrow an ipad or iphone? Just to rule out any issues with the ASI unit?

Edited by Jonny_H

If you can plug a network cable from your home network into the ASI then switch it on it will connect to your home network via that. You can then connect your phone to your home network and try the ASI phone app.

I di not see you mentioning changing the settings on the ASI to use your home network in the threads above (may have missed it though it was a quick scan of the thread) - to change it you have to get into the app.

If we can work the app using the cable network connection we can then get you going on the wifi too.

How are you powering the Asiair Pro?  I ask because when I tried to use mine with a small 12v lead asset battery I couldn’t connect unless I had literally just finished charging it, even though it had plenty of charge.

13 minutes ago, Scooot said:

How are you powering the Asiair Pro?  I ask because when I tried to use mine with a small 12v lead asset battery I couldn’t connect unless I had literally just finished charging it, even though it had plenty of charge.

I use a 24ah Tracer LifPo battery to power the whole rig.

Dave

32 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I use a 24ah Tracer LifPo battery to power the whole rig.

Dave

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant @johnst, and wondered whether the power source might be the cause of his problems. I use a lifPo battery now too. 

1 minute ago, Scooot said:

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant @johnst, and wondered whether the power source might be the cause of his problems. I use a lifPo battery now too. 

I think he's getting past that, just can't get it to connect to WiFi.

Dave