Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIair - problems with initial set up!

Hi all,

Just got the ASIair pro bundle from FLO the other day and trying to connect up. Have read that wifi can be an issue and I find that in my setting on my phone it says that the ASIair is 'Connected, no Internet'. It could be that I'm doing something basically wrong as I'm doing this in the house where I've got internet everywhere! I have read about possibly needing a Vonets WiFi Extender but not sure if this will sort it. Btw, on the ASIair itself the power light is on and the wifi light is on but the card light is off, it goes on after initially putting the card in, not sure if that is ok,  just looking for any issue I can spot.

Hope someone can help out cos it's very frustrating at the mo!

Cheers,

John 

Have you seen this below? That sounds to me like you are connected to the asiair's wireless network which is fine for controlling it, say if you're in the middle of a field. To have it connect to your own wireless network you need to configure it to do so:

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/asiair/asiair-guide-four-ways-to-connect-the-asiair-pro-to-network-updated.html

44 minutes ago, johnst said:

Hi all,

Just got the ASIair pro bundle from FLO the other day and trying to connect up. Have read that wifi can be an issue and I find that in my setting on my phone it says that the ASIair is 'Connected, no Internet'. It could be that I'm doing something basically wrong as I'm doing this in the house where I've got internet everywhere! I have read about possibly needing a Vonets WiFi Extender but not sure if this will sort it. Btw, on the ASIair itself the power light is on and the wifi light is on but the card light is off, it goes on after initially putting the card in, not sure if that is ok,  just looking for any issue I can spot.

Cheers,

John 

The message asiair connected no internet is perfectly normal. Mine does this.  One thing to ask is are you changing the connected WiFi from your house WiFi to the asiair WiFi. I.e. when you look at your WiFi settings you should see 'asiair_xxxxxxx' where the xxxxx are the number from your asiair.

Well, I am getting confused here cos I originally tried it at the bottom of my garden and didn't seem to get anywhere then so tried it up in the house earlier. I'm thinking that it relies on my home router but obviously got that wrong. Sheets anyway.

25 minutes ago, johnst said:

Well, I am getting confused here cos I originally tried it at the bottom of my garden and didn't seem to get anywhere then so tried it up in the house earlier. I'm thinking that it relies on my home router but obviously got that wrong. Sheets anyway.

You can do both. I would start though using the asiair's own broadcasted wifi signal.  Although this is quite weak so if you move your phone/tablet to far away from it it will lose connection but it auto connects when you get back in range. You can use your house WiFi to control/connect to the asiair. There is a setting to change to be able to do that but I have found it to be a bit hit and miss.

Keep at it as it is a great piece of kit. There are loads of things it can do that are not really mentioned in the instructions (which are far too vague).

There are some good videos on YouTube showing the basic set up. If you still struggle let me know, I could always make a specific video for something.

Edited by Chefgage

just had another go in my observatory and I have got the ASIAIR app which opens up until I get to where it asks to scan  and doesn't find it. The wifi is good but doesn't recognize it. I've tried connecting  via IP and I've even had airplane off and on. Wondering if my phone which is an Android Motorola is not up to it, it is about 3 years old!

33 minutes ago, johnst said:

just had another go in my observatory and I have got the ASIAIR app which opens up until I get to where it asks to scan  and doesn't find it. The wifi is good but doesn't recognize it. I've tried connecting  via IP and I've even had airplane off and on. Wondering if my phone which is an Android Motorola is not up to it, it is about 3 years old!

Mine does that now and again. I think a way round it is to switch your WiFi off on your phone. Power up the asiair. Then switch on your WiFi on your phone and then select the asiair in the available WiFi connections on your phone. I think that's a way round it. 

Edited by Chefgage
  • Like 1

Thanks for your positive responses, Chefgage, will go down and try again. Do I need the cables in and the 64 gb usb that comes with it? Sorry but I'm looking for anything that I'm not doing right!! 🤨

45 minutes ago, johnst said:

Wondering if my phone which is an Android Motorola is not up to it, it is about 3 years old!

According to Asi you need Android 6.0 and above

3 minutes ago, johnst said:

Do I need the cables in and the 64 gb usb that comes with it

you save any images you take on that usb drive, plug it into the usb3 slot on the Air Pro

It's a Moto g (6) according to info in settings. Another thing that came up was that 'Your phone isn't  connected to a data service' and it give website to try through google for more information. 😳

Another thing that came up was that 'Your phone isn't  connected to a data service' and it give website to try through google for more information. 😳

thats a strange one ?? have you made sure airplane mode is off? 
Have you updated the Asiair pro app on your phone to the latest version since you got it ? 
and don't forget to make a backup of the Air pro  OS  as well

9 hours ago, johnst said:

Hi all,

Cheers,

John 

You're not inserting the SD card after switching on are you ?

Have you got WiFi on on your phone ?

So turn on ASIAIR it should beep after a bit and have red LEDs  on it is then discoverable by your phone when you start the Asiair app and follow instructions.

Don't know what that means?!

The first thing you should do is make a backup of the 35GB SD card otherwise if it gets corrupted you'll lose you activation key an have to get onto ZWO for a new one which will be a right rigmarol.

Dave

4 minutes ago, johnst said:

Don't know what that means?!

there is a sd card in the Asiair pro which contains all necessary files and operating system, you need to make a backup of that card (well you don't need to but better if you do ) if the card becomes corrupted which does happen you wont be able to use the pro. i belive it is a bit of a pain getting one from ZWO

I use the asiar on my windows laptop.  I downloaded bluestacks which is an android emulator.  Sign in to your google play store and download app. Works great. Also fire up asiair first then connect wifi to the asiair. You wont have the internet on your laptop unless you connect asiair to you home hub by using station mode. You still connect via asir tho

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johnst said:

If I've got a dodgy sd card then will that cause the issue I have in that my phone doesn't recognise the ASIair or am I clutching at straws. 

SD card should be OK unless you've unplugged it / plugged it in while the Asair Pro was on.

Download Win32diskImager and see if it will copy the card.

Dave