NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help me join the light side...

Years ago I built a PST based Ha module that I used with a Lyra 102 f/11 scope. Here’s the module consisting of the PST etalon, a Borg helical focuser and various adaptors and a BF15 blocking filter. ERF need on the front of the scope of course.

C8E23BE2-9F0D-48EF-BC98-DFF1ADDCD6D4.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Years ago I built a PST based Ha module that I used with a Lyra 102 f/11 scope. Here’s the module consisting of the PST etalon, a Borg helical focuser and various adaptors and a BF15 blocking filter. ERF need on the front of the scope of course.

C8E23BE2-9F0D-48EF-BC98-DFF1ADDCD6D4.jpeg

Quite a contraption I must say! I must look further into this if I go for the PST.

Just out of interest just worked out the cost of the module and came up with something near £1,500.00 at todays prices. And thats not including the PST etalon. 

The BF15 filter is now €990.00 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just out of interest just worked out the cost of the module and came up with something near £1,500.00 at todays prices. And thats not including the PST etalon. 

The BF15 filter is now €990.00 

Ouch:unsure: That will be a little too much unfortunately😅 

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

I looked at getting a Lunt 40 recently but couldn’t find anyone in the UK or EU that I could pre-order it from so would have to order direct from Lunt. Hopefully will be available from a local dealer sooner or later. 

4 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Perhaps @FLO will be stocking these soon? I see they've just stocked a bunch of new Lunt solar products. In that case, if the price is right, then that'll be the obvious place to buy from. 

I confess this model flew under our radar but we'll happily add it to stock if requested 🙂 

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FLO said:

I confess this model flew under our radar but we'll happily add it to stock if requested 🙂 

Steve 

That sounds great! I will let you know in case I decide on the Lunt. Do you have any idea what your approximate selling price would be?

13 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

That sounds great! I will let you know in case I decide on the Lunt. Do you have any idea what your approximate selling price would be?

During the pandemic it is hard to say. The EU importer/distributor is not accepting pre-orders because they don't yet know when it will be released. Bresser in Germany list it at €899, which at todays exchange-rate is approx £775. We will know more and be able to confirm when it is released. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Thanks! Would you argue the Lunt 40 and a binoviewer (which I can also use for night time observing of course) would be the best choice considering my budget then?

I've not yet used a LUNT 40mm and couldn't really say what's best. Im not sure how much use a 40mm will be on the night sky, so that alone wouldnt sway me one way or another. Id imagine Lunt to be a better buy than the coronado pst due to the latters variability in quality control.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I've not yet used a LUNT 40mm and couldn't really say what's best. Im not sure how much use a 40mm will be on the night sky, so that alone wouldnt sway me one way or another. Id imagine Lunt to be a better buy than the coronado pst due to the latters variability in quality control.

I think I'm going to wait and see if/when FLO get their hands on this scope and can give a price for it. Currently I'm still torn between the Lunt 40 and the Quark Chromosphere I must say.... Two very different viewing experiences I can imagine, but I like the versatility of the Quark and the fact I can use it with different telescopes for better resolution, imaging and etc. Tough decision:icon_scratch:

• Like 1

I picked up a Daystar Solar Scout 60 last year, but didn’t get much chance to use it. However this year I’ve had more time, and have to say I’m quite pleased. I was a bit worried by some negative reviews, butI find the images very satisfying. Typically the appearance (visual only) is a bit better contrast than the one shown for El Teide but not quite as contrasts as Cerro Tololo(https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableView/table.php?configFile=configs/hAlpha.cfg)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catburglar said:

is a bit better contrast than the one shown for El Teide but not quite as contrasts as Cerro Tololo(https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableView/table.php?configFile=configs/hAlpha.cfg)

I agree that the image from Learmonth and Cerro Tololo are always pretty good. I find the other not as good as my double stack PST. In fact I usually ignore El Teide.

Bear in mind that if, at some point, you do a PST mod. it’s absolutely essential to have a D-ERF ( Energy Rejection Filter ) over the front of the donor ‘scope.
 Please don’t attempt a PST mod until you have all of the information you need.

I modded a 70mm refractor and it gives good results.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Merlin said:

Bear in mind that if, at some point, you do a PST mod. it’s absolutely essential to have a D-ERF ( Energy Rejection Filter ) over the front of the donor ‘scope.
 Please don’t attempt a PST mod until you have all of the information you need.

I modded a 70mm refractor and it gives good results.

Thanks for pointing that out! Although at the moment I'm more attracted to the Quark chromosphere from astroshop eu. I know someone locally that offers tests of quark units to see if it lives up to standards, or if it should be returned. I just really like the versatility of the quark and think I'm going to save more money in the end compared to buying a lunt 40 and then upgrading from that in the future.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Thanks for pointing that out! Although at the moment I'm more attracted to the Quark chromosphere from astroshop eu. I know someone locally that offers tests of quark units to see if it lives up to standards, or if it should be returned. I just really like the versatility of the quark and think I'm going to save more money in the end compared to buying a lunt 40 and then upgrading from that in the future.

A good quark is an excellent options, and very versatile; anything from full disk views in a small 60 or 70mm scope up to lovely close ups in a 120ED for example.

Getting that good unit is the challenge, so it’s good that you seem to have a way of checking this out. The sad thing for me is that a lot of people unfamiliar with Ha observing are probably using poor units unwittingly and are missing out on the full experience.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

A good quark is an excellent options, and very versatile; anything from full disk views in a small 60 or 70mm scope up to lovely close ups in a 120ED for example.

Getting that good unit is the challenge, so it’s good that you seem to have a way of checking this out. The sad thing for me is that a lot of people unfamiliar with Ha observing are probably using poor units unwittingly and are missing out on the full experience.

The guy testing quarks is very deicated to solar to say the least😅 He owns a 0.3Å solar spectrum and quark quantum filter used together with his SCT. Of course I hope that I will receive a good unit from the beginning but it's good to know that I can get his opinion/help if I were to get a bad one that should be returned. I'm itching to push the final button, but I'm just getting an overview of what I'd need.

For now the list is:

• Quark (of course)
  • 2" UV/IR cut filter for use in my 102mm APO
  • A 0.5X 1.25" reducer (Believe this can be used with my DSLR and a 1.2" nosepiece?)

Well, may we never see the sun again for the rest of the month:thumbright:

image.png.4d71bed2eb5734d6cc90e5ed5284c3fc.png

This is most likely the most expensive Astro purchase I've ever done. Quite scary I must say, but I also feel like it's a great investment in H-alpha observing/imaging. At least that's what I try to convince myself:lol:

Thanks to everyone who's helped me in this thread! I'll keep it updated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stu said:

The problem is though, how do you know whether that unit is poor or not if you neither have significant experience nor anyone to assess it for you?

think mine is good judging from my own insufficient, but increasing, experience, and by comparing to the images on Gong. But someone more experienced may tell me otherwise. I dread to look through anyone elses Quark-based scope in case mine's actually a duffer🥺.

I don't think it is though. 

Edited by Roy Challen

1 hour ago, Victor Boesen said:

Well, may we never see the sun again for the rest of the month:thumbright:

image.png.4d71bed2eb5734d6cc90e5ed5284c3fc.png

This is most likely the most expensive Astro purchase I've ever done. Quite scary I must say, but I also feel like it's a great investment in H-alpha observing/imaging. At least that's what I try to convince myself:lol:

Thanks to everyone who's helped me in this thread! I'll keep it updated.

Yep, Ha isn't cheap😀

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

The guy testing quarks is very deicated to solar to say the least😅 He owns a 0.3Å solar spectrum and quark quantum filter used together with his SCT. Of course I hope that I will receive a good unit from the beginning but it's good to know that I can get his opinion/help if I were to get a bad one that should be returned. I'm itching to push the final button, but I'm just getting an overview of what I'd need.

For now the list is:

• Quark (of course)
  • 2" UV/IR cut filter for use in my 102mm APO
  • A 0.5X 1.25" reducer (Believe this can be used with my DSLR and a 1.2" nosepiece?)you’ll mostly use low power eyepieces Victor.

Good luck with this Victor. If you get a decent one it will give spectacular views with your scope. I find my most used combo for visual with Quark is 100mm F/7.4 refractor, 40mm plossl and 0.5x reducer. Sometimes a 32mm plossl or rarely a 25mm if the seeing is excellent. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Good luck with this Victor. If you get a decent one it will give spectacular views with your scope. I find my most used combo for visual with Quark is 100mm F/7.4 refractor, 40mm plossl and 0.5x reducer. Sometimes a 32mm plossl or rarely a 25mm if the seeing is excellent. 

Thanks:thumbright: I'm very excited to try it out! With the 0.5X reducer I could get some nice full disks in my Evostar 72ED and just barely with my 102mm. I have been on a lookout for decent zoom eyepieces but can't seem to find any with a FOV much wider than my 14mm 82 degree ES. I think I'm going to try out my current eyepieces first and hope that they work as they should. Binoviewers will be on my wish list at some point though!

EDIT: And I just realized I might get an opprtunity to view the upcoming solar eclipse in H-alpha! Completely forgot about that:icon_scratch:

Edited by Victor Boesen
  • Like 2

@Victor Boesen will you need the reducer? I thought quarks gave full disk below about 450mm focal length? Presumably you were oils put it after the quark, on the eyepiece barrel?

I used to use 32mm and 40mm plossls to give Max field and keep the mag down. Worked well

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Victor Boesen will you need the reducer? I thought quarks gave full disk below about 450mm focal length? Presumably you were oils put it after the quark, on the eyepiece barrel?

I used to use 32mm and 40mm plossls to give Max field and keep the mag down. Worked well

I can barely get a full disk with my 14mm through the Evostar 72 so the 450mm focal length "rule" holds true. However, if I were to stick my DSLR in the back of it I'd not be getting a full disk according to Stellarium. And also I find it useful if I can use the reducer with my 102mm Tecnosky which will also allow for full disk observing with the 14mm eyepiece. Not sure if the reducer will even go well with the eyepieces but nonetheless I'll be able to use it with my current DSLR or future dedicated cameras.

Or am I getting something wrong here?

9 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Or am I getting something wrong here?

If you are thinking you can put the reducer in front of the Quark then yes, that’s wrong. The Quark has to operate at slow focal ratios to get best bandwidth performance. Also, don’t think that adding the reducer afterwards will give you the fov shown by Stellarium. The Quark has a limited internal field stop (22mm I think) which will prevent the reducer from showing the full field. You get a kind of second field stop faintly visible inside the eyepiece field stop.

As said, I used to find a 32mm Plossl worked very well for keeping the mag down and giving max fov. I did find that I needed eye guard extenders though because the already long eye relief of a 32mm Plossl gets pushed even further out by the barlow in the Quark. The pic shows my Quark (now sold) in my Tak FS60C (also sold) with 32mm TV Plossl. Lovely full disk views, significantly better than a PST.

E602397A-8C96-41E6-85FF-D36DE2B99168.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If you are thinking you can put the reducer in front of the Quark then yes, that’s wrong.

I am aware of this luckily:) I guess I will try the reducer out when I get it to see how it works. I did expect that I would get some kind of vignetting but didn't really consider it significant since I'll not be observing a star field.

Thanks Stu! And btw, that little FS-60 looks great;)