Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rocket debris from China's space station launch is falling back to Earth — but where?

Jonk

The out of control Long March 5B rocket's core stage could fall from space any day now.

Parts of it may survive reentry and could shower practically anyone, anywhere with debris, some of which could be huge and very dangerous.

It can be tracked here -> https://orbit.ing-now.com/satellite/48275/2021-035b/cz-5b/

The Long March 5B rocket carrying the core module of China's space station, Tianhe, blasts off from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site on April 29, 2021.

https://www.space.com/china-space-station-rocket-launch-debris-falling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it is true, but I heard a story that the Australian Gov't. 🇦🇺 [at the time], fined NASA for the clean-up operation when Skylab left a debris field 'scattered' across their country.

I'm just thinking about the conspiracy theories 'if' this thing hits US soil.....!

And also the repercussions.....any excuse to launch Space Force.

19 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Ah, panic over! It's orbit's inclination is only 41.5 deg, so never overhead the UK :)

As Douglas Adams would have put it, this is now an SEP - Someone Else's Problem !

• Haha 4

Usually around 10 metric tons is allowed to fall back to earth in an uncontrolled manner.

The Chinese are allowing 20 tons to re-enter in an uncontrollable manner, last time they did he created a mess all over Africa.

22 hours ago, Philip R said:

I don't know if it is true, but I heard a story that the Australian Gov't. 🇦🇺 [at the time], fined NASA for the clean-up operation when Skylab left a debris field 'scattered' across their country.

Yes they did, they issued a littering fine but very tongue in cheek. It was paid for by a US radio channel who did a fund raiser.

• Thanks 1

Nearly down, and a probable for Turkmenistan souvenir hunters!

whoa! Wait a minute, now increasing in height! Getting some slope lift off of Chilean mountains! Lol

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b

Covert COVID package for Trump Tower........ 😆

On 04/05/2021 at 12:47, Paul M said:

Ah, panic over! It's orbit's inclination is only 41.5 deg, so never overhead the UK :)

Is that true ?

ISS is 51.6 and regularly comes over our house ?

Michael

8 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Is that true ?

Yup. It is. China must want their space station at lower inclination.

The highest latitude of any point in China is only 53 deg with most of the territory well below that so maybe they didn't feel the need for a high inclination?

I found this live link tracking the Chinese debris (as well as other potential hazards).

You can turn the globe by clicking and holding...

Satellite TLE Data - 2021-035 ++ (ing-now.com)

EDIT: Only news I have found so far indicates it broke up over the Maldives in the Indian Ocean...

Chinese Long March rocket breaks up on reentry over Maldives | Daily Mail Online

Edited by Geoff Barnes