Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What In The World Is This?

Hello Everyone 

I'm a newbie still in search of this first telescope. I have received a lot of advice from some very helpful people on this forum.

I was searching eBay for Dobsonian telescopes and found this one. Very unusual looking telescope to say the least. I'm assuming it's a custom telescope since I have never come across anything like it online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284271608042

Sure looks like a good deal...10" lens for $300.00.  But too far for me just to see in person.

!0" reflector at 20" focus means it's operating at F2.  My guess is that someone had a 10" SCT with a broken corrector and has used the primary to make a very fast  Dob mounted Newtonian.  If so, the results should be "interesting".  I think the included Moon shot sums it up.     🙂

Edited by Peter Drew
typo
  • Like 1

F2 from and SCT mirror would give horrid aberrations, which this doesn’t seem to show. I reckon they’ve just provided incorrect numbers. It is homebrew and seems  reasonable.

t one made by/with an astro society, so should work to some degree. Ask the seller for more info.

Peter

Looks like a very poorly home made project. The mirror (if it is a mirror) looks like it's been mauled with grubby fingers. The spider vanes looks twisted. 

Someone probably had fun making it but it looks worthless to me, although I'm no expert.

Edited by Jamgood

49 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Hello Everyone 

I'm a newbie still in search of this first telescope. I have received a lot of advice from some very helpful people on this forum.

I was searching eBay for Dobsonian telescopes and found this one. Very unusual looking telescope to say the least. I'm assuming it's a custom telescope since I have never come across anything like it online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284271608042

Sure looks like a good deal...10" lens for $300.00.  But too far for me just to see in person.

Don't you have a telescope retailer where you are?

You can get something 1000 times better than this brand new for that price.😲

… I had a friend with a scope that had a mix of dog hair and snail trails on his mirror….

I am guessing my that the lack of homemade F2 10” dobsonians suggests that it’s maybe best to leave the mirrors in the SCT?!

Peter