NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you recommend a sturdy tripod for my new binoculars?

StuartT

2 hours ago, StuartT said:

Just took delivery of a pair of APM 16x70 ED APOs and trying them out on my crappy Velbon EF-61 camera tripod just ain't cutting it, frankly.

Suggestions welcome!

I use one of these K&F tripods for my 20x80 - it's very stable and provides some flexibility in positioning the binoculars as well. This is the tallest tripod they make, there is a review of a similar model here.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I think the best combination for this size binocular is the head from the Amazon basics video tripod and a good monopod that extends high enough to hold the binoculars above your head. 

Is a monopod stable enough? (With only one leg)

also, don’t monopods already have heads? I’m interested in why you recommend a head from a tripod instead?

sorry for the basic questions!

8 hours ago, StuartT said:

Is a monopod stable enough? (With only one leg)

Yes, I think so. Obviously, it is not as stable as a top end tripod as you are still providing some support but what the monopod does do is to take the weight of the binocular so that you can easily hold them and observe even high altitude targets without (much) strain. Additionally, with only one leg coming down to the ground, you can easily pan around without the risk of tripping over the splayed legs of a tripod. The disadvantages are that you won't be able to share the views with someone else as you can't pass the binocular to someone else without loosing the target, or stop to consult a map half way through a star hop. 

8 hours ago, StuartT said:

also, don’t monopods already have heads? I’m interested in why you recommend a head from a tripod instead?

That particular head is a trigger grip ball head that has an almost unique design that means that the trigger grip doesn't get in the way (of your face) when you mount binoculars on top of it. It has been available for years under a variety of brands but currently the only place I know you can get it is bundled with the Amazon basics video tripod.

The trigger grip ball head design allows you to squeeze the trigger to move the head and then locks in position when you release the trigger. With a standard ball head or monopod mount you will find that for any single tension setting you have something that is either too tight for smooth movement or is unable to support the binocular at high altitudes. 

• Thanks 1

I think @Ricochet offers some sound advice above. The biggest consideration is the head itself, a decent tripod or monopod will provide the support well enough (I have a manfrotto carbon 055 and steel 680b manfrotto monopod, they’re both over 10 years old) but the head is the critical element. More so on a tripod as the more vertical you go, the ball will need to lock without slipping. You tend to get what you pay for with ball heads but a joystick is the best design. I’ve managed to find a secondhand version of an old model that manfrotto discontinued (222) which is similar to the one mentioned. The other version doesn’t seem to be available anymore in the UK on its own. 

Do also look at the height that monopods extend to. Mine could do with offering a little more and I’m only 5 ft 9 (you can easily put a step of sorts underneath to add a little more). But monopod is easier to use in practice for general use I agree. The advantage with the manfrotto system is that the common RC2 plate is interchangeable so I sometimes have the tripod up too and pop the binos on there whilst using the scope for example.

Edited by Stardaze
  • Thanks 1

I’ve only had my 20x80s for a short while. I’ve tried them on a nice, tall  monopod and it’s great to be able to manoeuvre around. However, maybe it’s because I perhaps have shaky hands but I don’t get a rock solid view and as you probably know the slightest movement makes the view jump around. Maybe there’s an element of practice involved in holding them steady though.

I’m going to try with my tripod to see if the stability improves but it means losing out on manoeverability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Lunt-branded version of those. I use them on a monopod with a Manfrotto 222 trigger-grip head. Ideal! The monopod does not need to be vertical to work, so you can use it reclined, just by having it go down the side of the recliner. Also a lot less bulk/weight/hassle than a tripod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a home-made parallelogram after finding that most tripods wouldn't work comfortably for me standing up (I'm 6'2") but with a small stool to sit on and a monopod with a ball head, the viewing experience is really quite good.  I have an old Manfrotto aluminium tripod that I've converted into a full-height, 72" monopod for this use.  The advantage of a monopod over a tripod for me is that when sitting down, I can pull the monopod towards me and angle the head to get a comfortable view of objects near the zenith with the monopod comfortably between my legs.  With a tripod, I would have to lean a lot further forward because I can't pull it towards me - which is very, very uncomfortable.

In all honesty, a parallelogram is my favourite way of using my big binoculars but the monopod comes close and I can just pack it down into a bag, take my folding stool and go anywhere.  Whereas the parallelogram needs a bit of setting up and is bulkier.

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One slightly annoying feature of the APM binoculars is that each eye focuses separately. This is rather fiddly. I'd much prefer a central focuser and a right eye diopter adjustment. That way, once you've adjusted the diopter, you only have to focus once. 

Not sure why they've done it like that, but I guess I'll get used to it

1 hour ago, StuartT said:

One slightly annoying feature of the APM binoculars is that each eye focuses separately. This is rather fiddly. I'd much prefer a central focuser and a right eye diopter adjustment. That way, once you've adjusted the diopter, you only have to focus once. 

Most larger, observing binoculars are like that. In theory, for astronomy use, once they’re set you shouldn’t need to readjust. Doesn’t worry me at all with the 15x70’s but it wouldn’t be right on the smaller 10x50’s as they can be used for all sorts where re-focussing is commonplace.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stardaze said:

Most larger, observing binoculars are like that. In theory, for astronomy use, once they’re set you shouldn’t need to readjust. Doesn’t worry me at all with the 15x70’s but it wouldn’t be right on the smaller 10x50’s as they can be used for all sorts where re-focussing is commonplace.

Yes, fair comment. When they are set, they are set. Infinity is infinity.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StuartT said:

There are a few reasons, one being that having central focusing means the two oculars can pivot around the centre - whereas having each optical path independent makes it easier to ensure consistency.  Steve Tonkin (binocularsky here and on his website) has an explanation in part #5 of this page

As others have said - for astronomy, once focussed there shouldn't be any need to adjust them (though this is not the case if you have an observing partner with whom you are sharing the binoculars). 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gfamily said:

There are a few reasons, one being that having central focusing means the two oculars can pivot around the centre - whereas having each optical path independent makes it easier to ensure consistency.  Steve Tonkin (binocularsky here and on his website) has an explanation in part #5 of this page

Aha! There's always a reason for things 😉 Thanks.

10 hours ago, Kimboman said:

Hi I have two Manfrotto tripods with 128 rc heads these are very stable and so easy to move around  I sometime use a Manfrotto ball head  this also gives excellent manoverabllity

IMG_0124.JPG

A tip from Mr Tonkin is to flip the binoculars around 180 in the vertical axis so your tripod's pan/tilt handle points forward. It means it doesn't get in the way of the tripod legs when looking at high elevations 

• Like 1

Hi,

I use an old Manfrotto 190 photographic tripod, with an extender that I picked up from Amazon. I’m six foot, and this arrangement works well for me. 🙂

kev

1FEE3F26-D57C-4A0D-A665-33A0A13BACEF.jpeg

7AB84E4F-5354-445E-9101-F3D2CB7022F3.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BinocularSky said:

By now you'll know that the instructions that come with that are not fit for purpose. So I wrote some: https://binocularsky.com/manuals/TG-manual.pdf

Actually, I don't think I got any instructions with it! At least, if I did, I didn't read them. It's so easy to use, I can't really think why you'd need instructions. It's an absolute delight!

• 2 weeks later...