Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A & B test for comments please

fwm891

Like some comments please. These images labled A & B were taken on consecutive nights (moon details on images) at the same times each night.
Processing has been as identical as I can in PI (each process on one image copied to the other) then the pair put together in PS and a neutral background added.
Optics, camera and exposure details identical for each.

Preferances please...

A&B test.png

Edited by fwm891
text added

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

B seems to have a little more contrast in the nebulosity, but stars seem to be a little tighter in A.

I am probably in agreement with @CraigT82

So if really pushed I would say I prefer B but really I put them both on a level score.
If you ran both trough Starnet then B would win no argument (although I am not a fan of starless images), but as they are I like the way the stars in A are not so prominent which is how I prefer nebula images.

Can we have an easier question next time ?

Steve 

• Thanks 1

Thanks ALL. Why the question? Well I've just spent money (too much of!) on an IDAS MBZ nebular filter for OSC cameras. I already had an IDAS NB-1 filter but I wanted to do a comparison between the two.

This is the first stage of the comparison as these images were captured through an Altair Wave Series 115 APO Triplet @ f7 with a Planostar x1 flattener, via the above filters to an ASi533 OSC camera cooled to -12°C gain to 100.

Capture via SG Pro, PHD 2 with multi star guiding, Processing in PI duplicating each process stage.

Image A is via the NBZ filter, image B is via the NB-1 filter.

Stage 2 will be using the same filters on a different subject with the RASA 8 to see how they handle the f2 image cone (I may not use A & B references next time...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Stage 2 will be using the same filters on a different subject with the RASA 8 to see how they handle the f2 image cone (I may not use A & B references next time...)

At f2, may it also be worth including an unfiltered image?

• Like 1