Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starlight Xpress Blue Edition Trius PRO 674 Mono CCD Camera

astro mick

On 28/01/2021 at 06:16, Miguel1983 said:

Don't have one, but i'm curious why you would pick this camera over the ZWO 294MM ?

Hi Miquel.

I recently purchased the ZWO ASI 1600MM.The micro lensing was awful when using Narrowband Filters,+ the Haloes were not acceptable to me.I know the 1600MM is very prone to this,but all of the cmos cameras suffer to some extent with this problem as far as i know.I have returned the camera and grateful to FLO for letting me do so.

I dont see the point of having to spend time trying to process these artifacts out,when a ccd does not suffer with them at all.

The ccd camera will allow good images of Galaxies,and will use my old DSLR for Nebulae.

I know many people will not agree with this finding.

Mick.

19 hours ago, newbie alert said:

The Atik 428ex shares the same 674 sensor.. a friend used his to good effect on galaxies.. what scope are you pairing it with?

19 hours ago, newbie alert said:

The Atik 428ex shares the same 674 sensor.. a friend used his to good effect on galaxies.. what scope are you pairing it with?

Hi.

The scope is an Altair Astro 102mm Triplet at F7.

Good for Galaxies as you say,but too small a chip for Nebulae.I will try use my Canon 1000D modded for these.

Mick.

I have not yet commited to anything yet,so if someone can convince me otherwise on the Cmos cameras,please let me know.

2 hours ago, astro mick said:

Hi.

The scope is an Altair Astro 102mm Triplet at F7.

Good for Galaxies as you say,but too small a chip for Nebulae.I will try use my Canon 1000D modded for these.

Mick.

I have not yet commited to anything yet,so if someone can convince me otherwise on the Cmos cameras,please let me know.

What's your plan, for nebulae 

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

There will be a few KAF8300 mono cameras for sale soon, including a couple I own. Are these worth considering for sub £700 price?

Whhhhhy? What have I missed! And....what do you have that might be available?

30 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Whhhhhy? What have I missed! And....what do you have that might be available?

Well, the upsurge of Sony CMOS sensors will see a lot of people shifting (IMHO of course).  I will likely be selling my Atik 383L and QHY9 mono once I get the other cameras up and running

I don't know....I see a lot of 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'....maybe new buyers will go CMOS, but CCD 'upgrade' to CMOS for the same FOV?

I thought you may have a QSI 683...I'm like a sniffer dog for those! Looking everywhere for a properly priced one.

On 29/01/2021 at 09:51, astro mick said:

I recently purchased the ZWO ASI 1600MM.The micro lensing was awful when using Narrowband Filters,+ the Haloes were not acceptable to me.I know the 1600MM is very prone to this,but all of the cmos cameras suffer to some extent with this problem as far as i know.

I used to own the 1600mm and it was awful for that issue. So much so that I just had to avoid any bright stars. AFAIK that Panasonic sensor is the only cmos sensor to suffer this issue, open to correction of course. There're also CCD's that suffer micro lensing artifacts but none seem to be as bad as the Panasonic. 

Richard.

26 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I used to own the 1600mm and it was awful for that issue. So much so that I just had to avoid any bright stars. AFAIK that Panasonic sensor is the only cmos sensor to suffer this issue, open to correction of course. There're also CCD's that suffer micro lensing artifacts but none seem to be as bad as the Panasonic. 

Richard.

I'm sure I've seen examples of the Kofak 8300 with mild microlensing but nothing as psychedelic as the 1600. Looks more like diffraction spikes.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I'm sure I've seen examples of the Kofak 8300 with mild microlensing but nothing as psychedelic as the 1600. Looks more like diffraction spikes.

At most I got four tiny spikes on the brightest stars with my KAF, and I wouldn’t even really have noticed them. 

8 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

I actually find those small spikes quite attractive.

100% agree Richard. When I sell my Atik383l+ I will miss them. They make the stars so much prettier. I wish the CMOS sensors created the same effect! 

Ps - is there some slight micro lensing visible in your M45 image? I think I can see a reddish grid-like pattern around the brightest stars. Although, if it takes stars of this magnitude to show it, and only at this level, then it shouldn't be much of a problem I would think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Ps - is there some slight micro lensing visible in your M45 image?

Do you mean on the 2600 image in another post or the one above. For sure in the image above that’s the problematic 1600 microlensing effect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Do you mean on the 2600 image in another post or the one above. For sure in the image above that’s the problematic 1600 microlensing effect.

Woops! I thought that was Richard's latest version, but I can see now it's clearly not. Thanks for keeping me right Adam!

That'll teach me for posting from my phone and not the computer 🤦‍♂️ Might be time to get a new phone. This S7 Edge is getting on a bit 😂

Edited by Xiga
  • Haha 2