Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simeis 147 and Barnard's 7 in Taurus

peter shah

Its been a while but I have finally managed to do some of my own stuff.  So here is  a couple I have been working on.....both on my bucket list!! (imaged remotely from Spain)

Simeis 147  Supernova remnant, 22.5 hrs total in RGB Ha and O3. Imaged with the FSQ106 at F3.6 and the ASI 6200MM. I'm planning to get some more for it. 

Part of the Taurus Molecular Cloud, Barnard's 7 dark nebula,
Imaged with a 105 f1.4 Sigma lens and ASI 2600MC one shot colour. I was very selective (probably too selective) only using very few of the original data set removing some of the frames with high cloud..... So in the end the integration time was a very short 20x 300s. Just over 1,6hrs total.

All subs 300s unguided for both images.

To be honest I was very surprised as to how much I was able to pull out of this data set. I might even get a T-shirt printed with "I Love Cmos" or " Cmos Rocks!".

Thanks for looking
Peter

S147-o3-ha-2 small.jpg

Barnards 7 Dark Nebula Taurus-small.jpg

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 36

Thank you both.....

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

You've picked out the OIII in Simeis 147 very nicely, it is so faint.

I'd like to say it was easy...but it really wasn't.... I'm planning to get some more O3 see if i can tease a bit more out

Edited by peter shah

25 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Thank you both.....

I'd like to say it was easy...but it really wasn't.... I'm planning to get some more O3 see if i can tease a bit more out

I imaged it with an ASI1600.  Processing the OIII is the only time I have felt I was hitting the 12 bit buffer.

39 minutes ago, MartinB said:

I imaged it with an ASI1600.  Processing the OIII is the only time I have felt I was hitting the 12 bit buffer.

Cameras have come such a long way...... I think even at 12 bit I'd take a Cmos over CCD, especially the latest gen back illuminated ..... I was blown away by 1.6hrs on Barnard's 7. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't of processed it...I think the main draw back is having to deal with the amount of image data and processing power needed.....I can see it spiralling out of control, as I don't like to throw away any of my raw fits files.

• Like 2

On 23/01/2021 at 11:13, Mick J said:

Good work as usual Peter,  hard drives are big and cheap these days,  super nice thanks.

Thank you Mick

On 22/01/2021 at 16:58, bob-c said:

Absolutely beautiful images Peter,  great processing well done .

Bob.

Thank you Bob

3 hours ago, Magnum said:

Excellent images Peter

Did you use a filter for Barnard 7 with the OSC, if so which one?

also how dark are your skies on the Bortle scale?

cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee, I thought about a filter in on this rig but decided to try without first, but the skies there are about Bortle 2.5-3 depending on the conditions

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

they are stunning images, would love to get 147

Thank you... Its been on my bucket list for a while... I started it a few years back with my AG12 but the focal length was so long the amount of frames need to get it all in was just too much.......the FSQ106 with a reducer and the full frame chip is just perfect for it.