NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130p eyepieces

Hi!

First post - I'm aware this is a question asked a lot, but after a lot of post reading and over saturation of information I've decided asking the question myself to you guys is the only solution!

I've just become an owner of the Heritage 130p, just wondering whether a decent eyepiece set is realistic? 

My budget is in the £40-£70 range, aware this might only achieve one eyepiece?

I've not picked an area of interest yet although I would love to hunt out DSOs.

I'm in NE London so light pollution is a big factor.

Many thanks!

Rich

I also have a 130P heritage.

The first two eyepieces I got were the 32 and 15mm celestron omnis. A big step up over the supplied eyepieces in terms of clarity. I now also have a 9mm circle t ortho and a 5mm bst. The bst gives the darkest image which is to be expected given the size of the exit pupil and I also have a little trouble getting a really sharp focus with it but I suspect that may be down to the focuser (ptfe tape modification due soon) or getting close to the scopes limit and seeing conditions, but will keep practising with it! Not had a chance to try the circle t at night yet!

I would say having got the 5mm bst, maybe the 8mm might be better suited to the scope. But also pleased with the 32mm and 15mm omni. I didn't want to go below 10mm with a plossl due to short eye relief.

Hi Rich,

Welcome. I have the slightly larger heritage 150, it comes with the same pair of eyepieces as the 130 , a 10mm and a 25mm.

The 25mm is actually not bad, and you can probably stick with it for the time being.

I wasn't sure about how much value I'd get from expensive EPs in a (relatively) cheap 'scope, so my first purchase was a sjywatcher super plossl for around £20, I bought the 17mm one as if it wasn't actually better than the supplied pair, at least it would be a different magnification. It was a significant improvement, and I went next for one of the much recommended BST Starguider's ( Buying direct from Alan at 'The Sky's the Limit   https://skys-the-limit-108154.square.site/shop/1-25-bst-starguider-ed/8 ) to replace the not very good 10mm with a similar focal length.

The BST is a further improvement, but at a cost : each eyepiece is at least £42 plus another £5 or so for P&P, so that's your budget blown in one go ... I've no  experience of them, but someone will hopefully be along to recommend a zoom EP from svbony which will give you a range of magnifications in one, and might be in your budget. As you are not sure what sort of object you will want to look at yet, choosing just one BST EP will be difficult !

Heather

Edited by Tiny Clanger
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Richmiller said:

My budget is in the £40-£70 range, aware this might only achieve one eyepiece?

Agree with what Heather said.

With that budget I'd go for just one eyepiece, perhaps a BST 12mm, or this zoom.  Eyepiece sets aren't generally great value, and if you bought one with 3 or 4 items within your budget, I doubt the quality would be that much better than your stock eyepieces.

• Like 1

The issue with zooms is that as you adjust it towards the longer focal lengths (decreasing magnification) the FOV (field of view) actually decreases. It means you will lack a wide-angle low-powered eyepiece if you rely on a zoom only. Most will go with a zoom plus a low-powered EP for finding stuff and big targets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richmiller said:

Thanks for all your replies, 

I've read and reread them a few times today!

With that Hyperflex zoom, would I be sacrificing anything? It seems .... ideal to have a few ranges in one? 

If you are seriously considering the hyperflex zoom Zermelo linked to , there's one returned one with a rattly eye relief cup (not a vital  optical part)  with a few £ off on the FLO site now , get in quick if you want it, such things tend to go fast (especially now I've drawn attention to it ... )

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_hyperflex-72mm-215mm-eyepiece_151976.html

Heather

Edited by Tiny Clanger
extra info added

I don't disagree with advice already provided. Just wondering whether you already have a Barlow. If not and you are on a budget you might consider an x2 barlow. This would increase magnification of both eyepices and give you more options for a minimum price. An x2 barlow might even also have the optionof giving you x1.5 magnification.

If it was me I would buy a barlow and perhaps a 17mm or 15mm eyepiece. Try the second hand market. 

I also had the heritage 130. Its a nice scope and it got me hooked so be careful 😃