Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A PADDED CARRY CASE FOR A 27 INCH LONG FOUR INCH REFRACTOR?

I have an Oklop case for a longer refractor which is fine but I havent come across one in a smaller size. I'm  after something similar but it doesn't have to be a 'telescope case', anything that will work would be good.  If you know of anything suitable  I'd be grateful if you can let me know.

At the moment, whatever it is, it has to be available in the UK due to problems importing goods from abroad.

Many thanks.

Have you seen the Geoptik bags? I haven't looked at one for quite a while, but I remember a friend having one for his 150/1200 which I seem to remember seemed really well made.. but had lots of room left over as I recall... I'm sure they do a bag for a 100/750 but like I said, it might not be a snug fit.(something to look into)...

They have them at RotherValley I think...

Mark

• Like 1

I had to visit my local B&Q a couple of days ago, noticed that they had already removed all the festive stuff and put a range of 'really useful' boxes (and cheaper derivatives) out in the prime seasonal display area instead . There were long transparent boxes with clip on lids and a square-ish cross section , intended for storage of artificial xmas trees I suppose, but my brain said ' telescope boxes' !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mark81 said:

Have you seen the Geoptik bags? I haven't looked at one for quite a while, but I remember a friend having one for his 150/1200 which I seem to remember seemed really well made.. but had lots of room left over as I recall... I'm sure they do a bag for a 100/750 but like I said, it might not be a snug fit.(something to look into)...

They have them at RotherValley I think...

Mark

Many thanks Mark.  I actually have a Geoptik bag which is actually 36 inches long ,11 inches tall and about 8 wide. It came with a scope I traded years ago. It's very well made as you say, but no padding in it at all.  I used it for a while with another refractor with a large piece of foam inside it.  It was ok but not really rigid enough if the bag was bashed.  Actually, I could use it as a stop-gap with the dew shield extended a bit for a while whilst looking for a padded  shorter case so thanks for that 🙂.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I had to visit my local B&Q a couple of days ago, noticed that they had already removed all the festive stuff and put a range of 'really useful' boxes (and cheaper derivatives) out in the prime seasonal display area instead . There were long transparent boxes with clip on lids and a square-ish cross section , intended for storage of artificial xmas trees I suppose, but my brain said ' telescope boxes' !

Many thanks.  I've used similar things in the past, but I prefer a soft case for the refractor.  I think they are better suited to  small Maks, and I've used one  for that purpose.

3 hours ago, Highburymark said:

I have the Oklop too Paul for a long frac with solar filters, but I also have a nice Manfrotto one which I use for my 4” Tak and is shorter - see pic. Bought it from Park Cameras in London. £60-ish.

33FA152E-A88F-47F0-8A01-8F1B53B92363.jpeg

Many thanks Mark.  I've thought about this, but its finding one that is nicely padded and the right size.  Any chance you could let me have the internal dimensions, and also the model or product name/number if it has one?  It may suit .

1 minute ago, paulastro said:

Many thanks Mark.  I've thought about this, but its finding one that is nicely padded and the right size.  Any chance you could let me have the internal dimensions, and also the model or product name/number if it has one?  It may suit .

Take a look:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Manfroto tripod bags&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

6 minutes ago, Nakedgun said:

I second the Manfrotto padded tripod bag recommendation. I carry my Tak FC-100 in one. They are available in a variety of lengths.

Good luck.

Many thanks.  Could you tell me the internal dimensions and the product number please?  If you have one of the f7 versions it may be what I'm after? Thanks again.

53 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

You can get a case with foam padding purpose made for your scope.. you may lose the scope for a week of so, something tells me that it's not too far from tring.. I find out if I can

Many, thanks - but I wouldnt be willing to post the scope or travel anywhere near Tring.  I'm in West Yorksire.  Thanks anyway.  It sounds ds very expensive too.

Bit late to the party on this.. I've got a nice bag for my 102/f7 which is similar if not the same Paul.. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0899YVDDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_89e5FbWQJ1NF6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Plenty to choose from on Amazon.. 

The one I have is padded on base, tbh I'd like more padding to the sides but then it's a quarter of the price of manfrotto or geoptik bags.

HTH

Seasons greetings

Fozzie

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Bit late to the party on this.. I've got a nice bag for my 102/f7 which is similar if not the same Paul.. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0899YVDDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_89e5FbWQJ1NF6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The one I have is padded on base, tbh I'd like more padding to the sides but then it's a quarter of the price of manfrotto or geoptik bags.

HTH

Seasons greetings

Fozzie

I have one very similar to this but from eBay, using the same cheesy photos anyway.

Purchased it for a tripod but found it fitted my 80mm f/15 perfectly.

Like Fozzie says it's a bit lacking in the padding dept but I cut up a cheap sleeping mat/yoga mat to fit any it works well enough to provide all-round padding.

Ade

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

If you really want a case (instead of a bag) I can recommend Peli or Explorer cases.

https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/product/peli-1740-case/

https://www.protective-cases.co.uk/product/explorer-7814-gun-case/

They are available in many sizes, the above two are perhaps not the most ideal ones, being quite (too?) thin for a 4" scope. If you take a larger one, you might be able to have two scopes in it:

https://www.protective-cases.co.uk/product/mub-78-multi-utility-box/

The padding is often optional.

Nicolàs

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

HTH

Seasons greetings

Fozzie

Many thanks Fozzie,  that will do me, just ordered one!  🙂.  Amazon only had two left in stock.   Just the sort of thing I was after.  Thanks again.

3 hours ago, AdeKing said:

I have one very similar to this but from eBay, using the same cheesy photos anyway.

Purchased it for a tripod but found it fitted my 80mm f/15 perfectly.

Like Fozzie says it's a bit lacking in the padding dept but I cut up a cheap sleeping mat/yoga mat to fit any it works well enough to provide all-round padding.

Ade

Many thanks Ade, just ordered one - it was good to have a second opinion, thank you.

I've used camping mats and similar things to pad bags and case in the past, and already have a piece of camping mat that will do the trick.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, inFINNity Deck said:

Hi Paul,

If you really want a case (instead of a bag) I can recommend Peli or Explorer cases.

https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/product/peli-1740-case/

https://www.protective-cases.co.uk/product/explorer-7814-gun-case/

They are available in many sizes, the above two are perhaps not the most ideal ones, being quite (too?) thin for a 4" scope. If you take a larger one, you might be able to have two scopes in it:

https://www.protective-cases.co.uk/product/mub-78-multi-utility-box/

The padding is often optional.

Nicolàs

Many thanks Nicolas but I wanted a bag rather than a case. Now ordered a bag as you may have seen. Thanks again for your suggestion.

• Like 1

I've just bought this case / bag off Amazon for my frac.

The dimensions are 29.5"/9.8"/11.4" and it is allegedly shock proof and waterproof, though I'd take those claims with a pinch of salt.

My scope fully retracted with no attachments is 23.5" long.  25.5" with its 2" back attached. 27.75" with 2" back and diagonal attached.  28.5" with extension tube attached, and 30.75" with full back end  and diagonal attached.

The bag can accommodate the scope with its full back end and Baader prism attached, but its tight length wise.  The prism or extension tube can be removed and stored in the side pocket. (My DZ finder remains attached).  I decided to use some Styrofoam padding I had lying around to keep the scope firmly in place.

IMG_9292.JPG.899ba5987951dcc72d5778fe14ff42fe.JPGIMG_9295.thumb.JPG.fc8a9f4b0a8d7dead2e1d004b28b228f.JPGIMG_9298.JPG.64e81182243e9ef9fe59b682d931643c.JPGIMG_9299.JPG.c75b3f775f13833625b723f112b608de.JPGIMG_9300.thumb.JPG.3e96b2d20ed51451576c85545548bdcd.JPGIMG_9301.thumb.JPG.7a218a511407c1ede3bc90478f90b97c.JPG

• Like 3