Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher 0.77x Reducers for Esprit 120 & 150

FLO

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Sky-Watcher have released new optically-matched 0.77x Reducers for their Esprit 120 & 150 triplet refractor telescopes 🙂 

Sky-Watcher 0.77x Reducer for Esprit 120ED Triplet

Sky-Watcher 0.77x Reducer for Esprit 150ED Triplet

Sky-Watcher_77x_Reducer_for_Esprit_120ED

Very nice. I really hope they're going to do one for the esprit 100 too.

1 hour ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Nice. Any idea if there will be version for the Esprit 100 and 80 scopes?

53 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Very nice. I really hope they're going to do one for the esprit 100 too.

I will be surprised if they do not release one for the Esprit 80 & 100 but they haven't provided details. 

Will post here as soon as they do. 

Steve 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

This I'm sure is such a welcome news for Esprit owners. Slightly on the expensive side of things don't you think? 

I thought the price was quite good. Looked at a few options for a reducer on Esprit 100 last year and they were in region of double this price and needed various adapters. Never got one as was too expensive and felt risky regarding not knowing if backspacing would be spot on and how good stars would be.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

This I'm sure is such a welcome news for Esprit owners. Slightly on the expensive side of things don't you think? 

I think they are priced about right (was expecting £270-300). 

I guess it depends though on what we compare them with. The William Optics 0.72x Reducer costs over double and the Explore Scientific 3" 0.7x Reducer costs roughly the same. 

They do cost more than most reducers designed for smaller aperture telescopes and Sky-Watcher's own Flatteners for Esprit 120 & 150. 

We will receive our first stock delivery Mon/Tue. We will then make some photographs so comparisons can be more easily made. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Looks great...  do you think they'll be ok ie nice stars to the edge with a 150 and an SX-46 ?  

I don't think anyone has tried one yet but they should be. The sensor size would sit comfortably inside the illuminated field. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

I thought the price was quite good. Looked at a few options for a reducer on Esprit 100 last year and they were in region of double this price and needed various adapters. Never got one as was too expensive and felt risky regarding not knowing if backspacing would be spot on and how good stars would be.  

2 hours ago, FLO said:

I think they are priced about right (was expecting £270-300). 

I guess it depends though on what we compare them with. The William Optics 0.72x Reducer costs over double and the Explore Scientific 3" 0.7x Reducer costs roughly the same. 

They do cost more than most reducers designed for smaller aperture telescopes and Sky-Watcher's own Flatteners for Esprit 120 & 150. 

We will receive our first stock delivery Mon/Tue. We will then make some photographs so comparisons can be more easily made. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Maybe you both are right. I haven't checked the price of the reducers in a long time but just coming from seeing what these thing cost straight away felt slightly expensive. This hobby is expensive on its own and I guess it's still £300 :)

21 minutes ago, msacco said:

Anyone knows if this would be better than the APM 0.75x reducer for the Esprit 120?..

Best guess would be yes as it is optically matched and designed specifically for the scope 

Edited by geordie85

1 hour ago, geordie85 said:

Best guess would be yes as it is optically matched and designed specifically for the scope 

Interesting..while the APM reducer seems to work very well with different kind of scopes, a dedicated reducer might be awesome, and it's much cheaper than the APM one as well.

Exciting!

1 hour ago, msacco said:

Interesting..while the APM reducer seems to work very well with different kind of scopes, a dedicated reducer might be awesome, and it's much cheaper than the APM one as well.

Exciting!

Yes. I'm following this closely as I'm really hoping that they release one for the esprit 100

6 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Yes. I'm following this closely as I'm really hoping that they release one for the esprit 100

To be honest, I have never seen images from a reduced esprit 100 and thought yeah that's something I want to do. Usually results in either a soft image or poor corner stars unless it's a very small sensor. If its a truely dedicated unit, if it comes out hopefully it will change my mind.

Edited by Adam J

2 hours ago, msacco said:

Exciting!

I would agree, dedicated reducers tend to be better. If the field flattener for the esprit range is anything to go by then the reducer will also be very good. 

Only one small negative I can see is that the imaging circle with these new reducers is quoted as 34-36mm. That’s a bit disappointing considering all the recent full frame cmos sensors. But I guess to make then 42mm imaging circle would have likely doubled the cost. 

Ken 

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

To be honest, I have never seen images from a reduced esprit 100 and thought yeah that's something I want to do. Usually results in either a soft image or poor corner stars unless it's a very small sensor. 

@carastro has recently started using a reduced Esprit100 ...  looks very good  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken82 said:

I would agree, dedicated reducers tend to be better. If the field flattener for the esprit range is anything to go by then the reducer will also be very good. 

Only one small negative I can see is that the imaging circle with these new reducers is quoted as 34-36mm. That’s a bit disappointing considering all the recent full frame cmos sensors. But I guess to make then 42mm imaging circle would have likely doubled the cost. 

Ken 

I believe the APM reducer image circle is 42mm?

47 minutes ago, msacco said:

I believe the APM reducer image circle is 42mm?

Yes I think the m63 APM reducer has a corrected field of 40mm. They also have a larger m82 reducer for correction up to 50mm. 

Some of them are prone to ghosting according to Markus. 

I’m sure these esprit reducers will be great for aps-c type sensors and smaller which will please most of the astronomy community. 

ken 

32 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Yes I think the m63 APM reducer has a corrected field of 40mm. They also have a larger m82 reducer for correction up to 50mm. 

Some of them are prone to ghosting according to Markus. 

I’m sure these esprit reducers will be great for aps-c type sensors and smaller which will please most of the astronomy community. 

ken 

I don't even have my Esprit 120 yet, but you think it would be a better choice going for the dedicated reducer instead of the APM? Of course it's only guess work at the moment before any results, but just wondering.

13 minutes ago, msacco said:

I don't even have my Esprit 120 yet, but you think it would be a better choice going for the dedicated reducer instead of the APM? Of course it's only guess work at the moment before any results, but just wondering.

Personally I’d get the dedicated reducer if I was using a camera under 34mm diagonal. 

ken