NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What are the best views of Mars you've had.

I have owned a number of telescopes. Over the years two visual observations of Mars always stick in my memory as being great. The first believe it or not was in the 1980's. This was with my first telescope. It was a Towa 339. This was an 80 mm f15 achromat.

The dark markings and polar ice cap were very sharp and bright. The second memorable view was in the early 2000's. This was with an Anerican made Meade LX 90 eight inch. The image scale was larger in this telescope. But as before, a bright, sharp and contrasty view. I have seen Mars very well over the years with other telescopes. But for some reason the two occasions described were standout views.

Edited by Guest
Typo

Without doubt it was during the perihelic opposition of 2003. Mars was at a low Dec but I was living in Singapore (1.3 deg N) so it was pretty much overhead. And 25 arcsecs across! S’pore has terrible light pollution, but enjoys very stable seeing. The detail was amazing with the Tak FS 102, either in cyclops mode with a Pentax XP 3.8 eyepiece or, more easily, using binoviewers. Simply stunning! 

• Like 1

Two for me I guess.

First was 2003 at that very close opposition. I was three years into my astronomy journey, and without the likes of SGL to help me along the way. I had a Celestron C150HD Bird-Jones nest on aN EQ-3-2 Mount, which wasn’t too bad but struggled above about x150. I had what, for me at that time, were amazing views of the polar cap and dark markings which I still remember.

Fast forward to the other week and I was observing with the 8” f8 and I had some of the best views I’ve ever had. Fine detail visible and I also spotted Valles Marineris which was a feature I had wanted to see for many years.

• Like 2

The best views of Mars for me were back in 2003 while using an 8.5" refractor. The detail was so intricate as it flickered in and out of view that it couldn't be drawn. After that, also in 2003 were the views through my Tak FS128, which left all other scopes standing, with the exception of the 8.5" achromat of course.

The views I had in 2016, using a Tak FC100DC while Mars was skimming the roof tops here in the UK, is also highly memorable. Mars was only around 16" arc at best, yet with its northern hemisphere turned toward us, the small refractor delivered some amazing views of the planet's albedo features.

So far this apparition, using a FC100DZ I've had some wonderful views, and hopefully there'll be many more to follow. 

• Like 2

I can't recall the views I had back in 2003 but some of the views this opposition have been memorable. I've got far better equipment and much more experience now than I had back then (and the benefit of SGL) so perhaps that is not surprising.

• Like 3

I've yet to see it this big (new mount doesn't arrive until the end of Oct). The last time was I think 2012. It looked spectacular in the 250mm Newt I had then. Lots of detail and a crisp polar cap.

Can't wait to get the new scope on it (150mm Mak).

• Like 1

The best for me was in late September this year (can't remember the exact date), where I tracked it manually for over an hour and could make out several surface markings, and clearly see the southern polar ice cap. I also found Uranus and Neptune which weren't too far away. Subsequent seeing has not been of the same quality, and I've just seen a reddish disc. 

• Like 1

In fact this summer mid September during vacation. Not only was this at a dark sky area, but one night was blessed with incredible stable atmosphere. Jupiter and Saturn at 15° alt where proof of that. I observed Mars with the 100DC and bino/ADC and it was the best view I had in any scope yet. That night really showed, how much influence atmosphere has on the detail. The girlfriend was mighty impressed, not only of Saturn being super sharp and stable (which is her favorite planet), but Mars put up a tremendous show she revealed later.

CS

• Like 1

For me there are two, separated by about 30 years!

First 1988, which was when I was a lad and only just into astro. I remember trying to draw it as I nudged and chased it on an az mount. At the time I was amazed to be able to see the surface details on another planet.

Second is actually this year. The last week in September we had some really good seeing and using the same same scope I had some cracking views. So much more relaxing though with tracking that I think I can appreciate it even more.

• Like 1

Like several have already said, 2003 was a vintage Mars year. That opposition was the reason I got my first telescope, a department store special - it was a Bushnell I recall. The optics weren't that bad really, but the mount was. However, I didn't know any better, and I still enjoyed the view. In the intervening years, the scopes I had were decent, but lacking in aperture and f/l, and between 2016 and this year I didn't do much observing. So the best view I've had was last Saturday, through my 100 RS.

The funny thing is I am far more willing to get up at a very unsociable time in order to get a good view now, than I was 17 years ago!

• Like 1

I'm a relative newcomer to astronomy and I was disappointed by the views in 2018 due to the massive dust storm so my best ever views of Mars have been this year though I can't remember the dates.

My first views this year weren't great largely due to not spending enough time at the eyepiece, but my observation skills have improved and when conditions allow I've seen some marvellous detail, but the stand out moment was my first view of Syrtis Major and Hellas through my little 80mm f/15 Towa with Syrtis Major looking like a huge sharks fin on the planet.

Binoviewers have given me some really memorable views through my ED120, ED100 and Altair 102 f/11.

A much more satisfying experience than in 2018 and one which will stay with me for a long time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

A much more satisfying experience than in 2018 and one which will stay with me for a long time.

Yes, in 2035 you can bang on about the views you enjoyed in 2020, just like we old timers do about the 2003 perihelic opposition 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My best Mars session was just last week, I went out for a short unplanned session and ended up just looking at Mars for 45 minutes straight (that's a long time for me).

It's the first time I've had the chance to get a good look at it - the last time it was clouded out with sandstorms.

I could see the southern hemisphere was darker than the north with vague shapes to the dark bits, but I dont know my way around Mars so didn't make out anything more than that.

This was with a 102mm f7 refractor, binoviewer with 2.6x gpc, and 10mm SLVs.

• Like 1