SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dec Backlash in EQ5 goto

SteveBz

Still needs flats and darks, but here's a snap taken from the best of the last few night's.  The large stars look nice, but the small stars have a stretch bottom left to top right.

S

NGC6888v5_1c.thumb.jpg.197e81a76bf285d2e35853fd01640d59.jpg

Edited by SteveBz
typo

3 hours ago, SteveBz said:

Hi Martin,

Yours moves less than mine, I can see that, but the top one doesn't move because the middle one doesn't reach it. The middle one wiggles without hitting the top one.  I think you can probably drop the motor a little.

It could go down a little but it is making contact with the small gear and the motor gear doesn't move on mine.

I'm leaving it to bed in after I took it apart for the re-grease and then I'll check the backlash in the worm gears again in a month or so, dependent on if I actually get to use it. :clouds1:

After I did the re-grease, I was testing the mount and the auto-guiding for practice and to see what I could get. This is a single 10 minute exposure I captured during the test, straight out of the camera, I just put the text on the image so I know what it is:

1068175266_NGC6960WitchesBroomNebula.jpg.a532d5827b514f45ef74670040fba7e2.jpg

• Like 1

Are you sure that the movement left is backlash and not just that you're moving the internals of the motor?

How good is your PA? 

It probably depends what you're imaging, but with good PA I'd be surprised if that many subs were lost due to trailing at that exposure length. But either way you'll do better with shorter subs and less wasted.

I did some research to see if I could find a way or making my EQ5 work better, but I came to the conclusion that it's probably better to save up for a better mount.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

with good PA I'd be surprised if that many subs were lost due to trailing at that exposure length.

That's want I want to hear.  I'd rather it was just something silly.  My PA error last night was about 17'.  I may tighten up the PA give it a try with no guiding and see what happens.

19 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

After I did the re-grease, I was testing the mount and the auto-guiding for practice and to see what I could get. This is a single 10 minute exposure I captured during the test, straight out of the camera, I just put the text on the image so I know what it is:

Almost no movement.